1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP 0800-Rent-A-[Redacted] by brainthief - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Dark Minion, May 31, 2015.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

The issue with his fic, is that it has the ingredients for a great story. It's unfortunate that the authors masturbatory angst taints it. I imagine if someone went through and cut out all the angsting bits or adjusted their tone then it would improve the story significantly.

2. Ashton Knight

Ashton Knight Disappeared DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There are so many things in this fic that I hate.

Why did Hary avoid the truth when under the truth serum? What purpose did that serve?

Why is everyone being such a big dick and acting like they'e in a fanfiction from 2008?

How the fuck does Dobby of all people manage to backmail Harry?

If everyone was going tobe a dick, why even tell him that there was no way for him to get back home - just lie and make up some mumbo jumbo about his soul being linked with voldemort's or something.

The worst thing: The writing itself is actually pretty good. Which isthe only reason it's getting even a 2/5 from me.

3. Private Jenkins

Private Jenkins Squib

High Score:
    This is definitely a guilty pleasure fanfic for me. I'm a sucker for a good timetravel or dimension hopping story, but this one has a few negatives that prevent it from getting anything higher than a 3/5 from me.

As a whole, the story is relatively well written, with a decent premise and humorous moments. But it definitely suffers from the awkward/stilted dialogue between Harry and his romantic interest and the needless bashing of Dumbledore and the ootp worthy of the good ol' azkaban!/betrayed! days of yore.

The level of unnecessary angst and blatant OOC of the main characters severely detracts from the overall quality of the story. I can understand changing characters to suit your needs. But when you cross an alternate universe with a second alternate universe and make everyone completely out of character, you might as well rename the cast and write an original story.

The addition of Cassandra doesn't make for the most amazing OC, but for a portrait she was somewhat entertaining. The Girl-Who-Lived, Iris Potter feels a bit generic, but I had no real fault with her. But the Tonks interaction was just bad. It felt stilted, forced. Like the author wanted Harry to get laid and decided Tonks fit the bill. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind a Tonks romantic subplot, but the execution was all off.

However; there are some positives to the story. I really enjoyed the exploration of Divination as a whole. It was an interesting look on a relatively ignored subject and I enjoyed the authors take on it. There was also some moments that made me chuckle out loud and I thoroughly enjoyed Harry as a teacher.

It has its ups, it has its downs, 3/5 needs improvement.

4. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fic just went full 'lecturing the entire Great Hall' mode.

5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    This is a good example of 'Can decent execution of a retarded idea save the scene?'

The answer here is no. Yes, I admit I did get a bit behind him, yes I did get wrapped up in the moment, but reality caught up not long after and I realized that, cool or not, Harry should not have been allowed to do or say any of that. Not like this and not at that time. It makes no sense, and it's too masturbatory to think otherwise. Or the author is just, well, bad and can't consider putting his scenes in perspective.

A turd, however polished, is still a turd.

6. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Decent execution? Come on, man. Just because they put their letters in the right order doesn't mean it was anything but an unwelcome flashback to 2008.

7. Jon

Oh god. I just got through what you guys were talking about.

I thought you were exaggerating.

Fuck my life that was cringe as fuck. I felt embarrassed reading it.

8. Catman

Catman DA Member

This is kind of odd, normally authors who write such awful scenes are at the same time awful writers. And while I wouldn't say this guy is good, he is around the top of the bell curve. You want the story to work, the author has the ability to make it decent, and then you get one too many scenes like this and you have to pull the plug. Oh well.

9. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

The part I found funny was the A/N at the end where the author revealed that he had the idea for the big speech since the beginning but hadn't found a good place to put it until now. It's like premeditated murder -- murder is bad by itself, but when you actually plan shit like this it becomes even worse.

Also, does anyone else remember if the Order knows who Harry is exactly, or do they think he's a random guy? I completely forgot, and I'm not willing to go back and read it again.

10. anvyl

anvyl Third Year

They don't know who he is exactlay, i think. TBH i think the iris/Harry interaction in the great hall was more cringy than the speech itself. This shit should be plenty to give Albus all the clues he needs.

11. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Honestly, I found the use of the word "blush" and "... cheeks coloured" so many times far worse than the lecture scene.

12. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

No dealbreaker for me, but in no way realistic. I generally hate Harry telling people off by embarassing and lecturing them and at such a scale - yeah, you can definitely say it was a failure.

Something like that shouldn't happen too often.
    But, hey, at least we've got no angst here xD

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  13. newageofpower

newageofpower Professor DLP Supporter

That's a joke, right?

14. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

Yes.
    That's what the smiley was for :p

15. Jon

Has anyone confirmed that this isnt the author doing a badfic challenge like we do sometimes?

16. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

From her favorite list, I'd assume, she believes she's doing a good job so far.

17. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

We really should invite her over. She could learn so much about herself.

The whole scene was high up on the awesomely bad meter. He should just have dunked the offenders in a barrel of tar or something like that. I consider this the worst chapter so far.

18. anvyl

anvyl Third Year

I really have to agree, unfortunately. Hopefully it will get better again.

19. m4n1

m4n1 Squib

High Score:
    A decent guilty pleasure fic. Beginning was boring, but you can mostly skim through it if you cant bear it. Eventually it begins to get a bit interesting a little while in. I dont think I'd ever reread this fic, but its pretty solid if you can ignore the aspects that are entirely unbelievable.

20. karlhugo

karlhugo Squib

While I enjoyed it in the beginning, all the cringe, angst, cliches and holes are starting to add up. I am however looking forward to future chapters as I feel it is still better and got more unique elements than other fics which are being posted right now.