1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

10th Dresden Files book

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Datakim, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Datakim

Datakim Chief Warlock

For anyone who cares, it appears that they have started posting sample chapters about Butchers 9th Dresden book in his website at http://jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/10/

If any Dresden fan here wants to whet their appetites then there it is :)

EDIT: Ok. I don't know how to count. :) It's actually the 10th book. The latest anyway.

2. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

I know my birthday gift to myself.

3. Dark Magic

Dark Magic Denarii Host

^_^

Thanks for mentioning this.

4. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nail gun for the win.

5. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

Gah I'm tempted to look but I rather wait and just read it all in one sitting. To be honest I'm currently reading his Codex Alera series and as I've gotten so engrossed in it my love for Dresden has waned a bit. I think I'm beginning to like that series more...

6. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Is Codex Alera as good as Dresden?

I ordered the first Dresden book and started it and didnt even finish it before I ordered the rest of em. Cant wait for number 10

7. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

Most will tell you no. It follows general fantasy rules, and certain cliches, whereas the Dresden Files tends to be something unique. I personally disagree.

While I love the Dresden Files, don't get me wrong, It just isn't my type of fantasy book. I love everything that goes on in it but I prefer a more classic fantasy, with strange world, animals, and set in a distant time.
    Codex Alera does that for me.

I love the idea of fury crafting (for those who like Avatar this would be a good series to check out), and I really liked the Roman aspect of the series, rather than the usual Medieval British.

Writing wise I would say the Dresden Files is better (obviously as its his first and more important work), but for some reason I'm drawn to the Codex Alera more. Maybe Small Favors will change that...

8. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Awesome, I can't wait until Small Favor comes out. It's sure to be amazing. The last few books sure have been, at least.

Dranco: I highly suggest you read Codex Alera. The first chapters of the first book are kinda lackluster, but then it gets awesome. I honestly can't say which I like better, the Dresden Files or Codex Alera. But Codex Alera only has 4 books out, while the Dresden Files has 9. He has had 5 more books to flesh out Dresden's character and magic, while only 4 to do with Tavi. I expect the Alera series to be better by the end than the Dresden Files, but that's just me.

Bottom line, if you like Butcher, you're doing yourself a disservice by not reading Codex Alera.

9. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It'll be mid-April when I'll finally get my hands on the book. Still, waiting... :D

Nice first chapter, but has nothing on Proven Guilty's chapter one.

10. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I just hoe he accomplishes something good in this book.

He left Lasciel sitting idle for an entire book, used her barely at all, then she... er not going to spoil it just incase.

The War's been going on forever, the Black Council, etc. I love the books, but they fall in the same trap of taking up alot of space, with not enough going on.

AWESOME characters, awesome fleshing of them out, just needs abit more meat.

EDIT: Holy hell the preview chapter is amazing!

11. Novamute

Novamute Third Year

This looks like it's going to be a great book. I can't wait

12. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Holy f-wording shit. @_@

I has solved it. Eet was Charity, in the library with the nail gun of Epic Win +10. o.o

That was Awesome. Going against Sree's sentiments of the last couple books being amazing, I didn't like White Night as much as the rest of the series. Blood Rites and Dead Beat and Proven Guilty were utter pimp though.

Proven has the BEST Opening chapter of every book though. That was fucking awesome.

Still, Book 4, Summer Knight is my favorite. Mab++

13. J22

J22 Seventh Year

I've never actually read any of the Dresden Files but am thinking of getting into it. What's it like?
    I may have to buy them when I'm less broke.

14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They're a great series, and a one that will continue for the foreseeable future, so I see them as one of the best out there. The protagonist visibly matures throughout the books, becoming more powerful, more complex, generally just more :p.

That said, the thing about Dresden Files is that you can't read just one book, because it's not written as just one book with sequels - so it's nothing like Harry Potter in that sense. It's written as a series, with all that that entails. There are so many things you would miss out on if you read the third book first, or even just the second, because there are references and allusions to previous acts all over the place.

If I had to compare it to the HP series... I'd say it's better. Not in any particular way, just better. There's magic, there's mystery, there's a whole host of interesting and unique characters to get to know. There isn't this whole Good vs Evil crap either: to coin an old phrase - it's all shades of grey.

Read them, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Aekiel

15. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Damn, now I have to get them. Or at least check the library, since I have no money. ;)

16. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

@Vash: Incredible sig. About Book 9...
    White Night felt very much like a transitional book. The White Council's war against the Red Court is at a quiet point, as is the eternal struggle between Summer and Winter. It seems like Butcher is phasing Susan out, and I'll bet a three-day ban that she either bites it or bites someone (which would kill her as an interesting character anyway) in book 10. Thomas gets transformed from angsty self-loathing vampire of the kind seen in bad HP fics to a hairdresser with a magic touch and a funny accent, which suggests that he'll be moved out of the limelight. Molly got upgraded from helpless youngling to inexperienced padawan. Murphy's police career continues to slide. It screams "FORESHADOWING!" when Murphy protests to Dresden about her career standing between them, and she suddenly gets demoted from head of SI and placed on the early-retirement path less than half a book later. We finally got the full story of the New Mexico incident. Lasciel's shadow "took a psychic bullet for" Harry (I think that's Bob's phrase), who turned the coin in to the Church. Butcher took the time to both remind us that Fidelacchius is still in Harry's possession, and his discussion with Luccio in the desert emphasizes his conspicuous lack of a sword compared to every other full-fledged Warden. This suggests that Butcher's going to pull a Shezza. Heck, combined with the fact that Harry is guarding one of the three Swords in the first place, and we might even see a "Harry is Merlin's Heir" plotline that isn't Hall of Shame material!

All in all, great stuff.

@Iztiak: Good luck with that. Most of the DF books aren't in libraries where I am.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  17. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

One word: sweet..... Three more: must read Codex.

18. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

I can't wait for this, hope it delivers more than White Night though. But since this is meant to have Mab in it I think it's a given.

And like Mindless this will be my birthday gift to myself too.

By this point I can't even write anything, anticipation has got me too distracted.

And yeah Charity with a nail gun. <3

Speaking of which I better bust out my charity sig.

19. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

It's out for those of you who don't know.

I finished it up earlier this morning and I loved it. Bunch of action and a nice fast moving plot that brings back a lot of old characters. I'm not going to spoil it too much but there are a couple of developments with the the sword entrusted to Harry (can't spell the name for it Fide-something.) As well as a couple of cool fights with the Denarians.

Edit: Yea thanks eXcalite, I didn't have a copy of one of the books handy to check the spelling on it.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  20. eXcalite

eXcalite Seventh Year

I'm half way through White Night and just got my copy of Small Favor today. I think I'll start it tomorrow. But it sucks that it is only available as hardcover wheres all my other books are paperback. Oh well, don't judge a book by it's cover I guess :D

Edit: You mean Fidellachius