1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

[2016] Oculus Rift

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Jon, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

So, it's almost here.

$599 USD + Postage

Or, if you're australian

$650 USD + $130 USD + GST = $1200 AUD

The first batch of the consumer version is being released to the Kickstarters who get a free copy, and then it's first come first serve.

I was lucky enough to get a spot in late March/Early April (I woke up at 3 am to get my spot) Thankfully they aren't charging until they ship so my bank wasn't raped yet, and if I choose to cancel the pre-order I have time.

But honestly.. I don't think I will unless the Vive's info and pre-order comes at a more competitive price.

Has anyone else pre-ordered to get a spot? If you did what time frame did they give you for delivery?

Honestly, I should know better but... I want it so bad.

I want the space pilot fantasy with a fervor that seems to have built more and more the closer it's come to realization.

2. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

I've had the chance to play around with a friend's DK2 quite a bit, and the Oculus is so cool, and I want one so badly, but it's unfortunately out of my price range right now. Hopefully I'll catch it in generation two.

3. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

First generation products generally aren't worth it. I know they had two batches of dev kits to work out the kinks, but I can pass for now.

4. Jon

There's always a premium on adopting new tech early on and everything always gets better with time, but without people willing to adopt tech early then it never gets that far, and it would be a damn shame with VR.

5. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think I'm fine with TrackIR right now for my PC. I'd probably need to upgrade my card on top of the Oculus to play Elite well, that's like 2 grand... Besides, I've got my HOTAS setup on my PC too, dunno how I feel about not being able to see it while I play (which is what makes Microsoft's AR thing so interesting...)

I think I'll see what PSVR is coming out at, and I'm pretty sure it'll be launching with NMS. Much cheaper and prettier Space Pilot Fantasy :p

6. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Yeah, I though about buying one earlier but with this price I will wait a year or two - it is simply to expensive (especially for people outside of the US) and I just can`t justify spending so much money on it when we have so very few games/media suited/optimizied for it. Sure playing Elite or Star Citizen with it would be a great experience and fullfill several childhood dreams but it simply isn`t something I can easily afford.

7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Maybe if I win the lottery.

8. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

What were your reasons for buying, Jon? That's an extremely hefty price tag - the sort that would put me off even if I wanted the thing more than I've ever wanted anything before.

9. Jon

I'm not gonna pretend that it wasn't a case of impulse buy. I was expecting a price tag of maybe $700 aud total and to see it hit me for $1100 was a tough pill to swallow. One could argue that it's a sort of long term fantasy fulfillment.

I've been interested in AR and VR for years, long before Oculus was even a footnote in the concept. I remember googling for anything related or similar—I had a brief stint where I was pondering video glasses, for example, but eventually passed on them since their function was significantly limited at the time.

I suppose you could argue that there's some 'lack of fulfillment' with life that I feel VR would put an end to. I never feel more happy then when I'm fully engrossed in another world, be it reading, watching or playing. The obvious next step is being which VR suits the purpose for.

But, with all that said, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that there is a solid business opportunity in being one of the first to adopt the new tech. VR is new and fascinating and more importantly, out of the reach of most people due to the financial requirements (the actual unit + a rig capable of running it.)

With some clever marketing I could easily turn simple ownership of a VR headset into a part time business revolving around taking VR to the homes of those in my regional zone. 'Virtual Tours' is a not-insignificant part of the VR experience, and there are a lot of people who would be willing to pay for that.

By utilizing that opportunity, not only can I make the Rift pay for itself, but if the concept takes off and people are enthusiastic about it I can straight up turn it into an actual 'Virtual Reality' business offering people experiences that they would never otherwise have.

10. Dye

Dye Second Year DLP Supporter

I love VR as much as the next guy, although not as much as Jon apparently does, and I've been hyped for the release of the Oculus for ages. As long as I've known about VR I've wanted it and Elite: Dangerous has built the fantasy of being a space pilot in my head so much that the lack of VR in my life actually pains me.

Despite this, I won't be getting an Oculus because I just cannot justify spending that much money on it; if I were to buy it now I'd be be overjoyed but there'd be this little voice at the back of my head having a go at me for spending that much money. I expected it to cost around £350 and I would have happily paid for it then but at this price I'm not going to be able to get an Oculus for quite a while.

Quick Question: Do you call it an Oculus or a Rift? I've heard people call it both and I was wondering which is the more common term.

11. Jon

Oculus is the company, Rift is the product.

12. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Better call it a Rift, then - because Facebook are the ones who own it now, and it'll tear a Rift through your pocket.

:awesome

Jon, Dye
  13. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I guess for most people it's not only the whopping $599 for the Oculus (did we really need an xbox controller in there though?) but also the cost of upgrading your PC. I'd have to put down 599 + a 970 gpu + new processor + shipping to try a couple of games, quickly get bored and wait for content to slowly become available. Too much at the moment.

It's an enthusiast product, no doubt about it. It's for people like Jon who have both the income and the passion for it. The good news is that there's lots of people with a passion for it. I think it looks good for the future of VR. Hopefully it won't share a dusty shelf with the Kinnect and Move.

14. Gengar

High Score:
    Jon wants to be the Last Starfighter.

15. Jon

ROGUE LEADER ONLINE.

[​IMG]

16. Gengar

High Score:
    As if you choose to fly an x-wing in VR.

TIEs all the way. Dat view!

17. Exzanosis

Exzanosis Squib

Honestly, I'm just pissed off about the entire situation.

Originally the Rift was estimated to be within the $300USD range. Obviously that's just a ballpark figure that came out around the release of DK2 (iirc), but the actual price is almost double that. I live in the UK, so the cost is around £499 here opposed to the estimated £250.

The entire reason I didn't get all doom n' gloom-y over the Facebook acquisition of Oculus was that it was 99x more likely the Rift would come out cheaper and with many more units upon release than they would as an independent company. The exact opposite has happened, and that's annoying as fuck.

This isn't even taking into account the upgrade costs for my PC.

There's nothing I would love more (well..) than to have a behemoth of a PC and a Rift, as the entire idea of VR seems so fucking awesome. But if the price remains this high, I'm going to hold off on pre-ordering and wait to see how the other options match up. In the event that they're all ridiculously expensive, well, I'll have to start saving.

18. Zeemz

Zeemz Second Year

If you're going to pay top dollar, you might as well go for the best. Vive is generally considered better than the Rift.

19. Gengar

High Score:
    Wait until you know what the Vive is....

20. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Never heard of Oculus Rift.

Googled it and it sounds pretty awesome. Legit VR, eh? I could see myself adopting it, but not without having, well... any idea of what it would entail. I'd want some indication that I'd enjoy it, and I've never done anything I'd properly consider to be VR. And without something to compare it to... yeah.

But pretty sweet, nonetheless. I'm excited, both for you and for whenever I get around to trying something similar.