1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

[2016] The Best Fanfiction - What's your favorite fic of all time?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Alindrome, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Speaking of best fanfiction of the year "Contractual Invalidation" by Republic of DLP.

2. readytodream

readytodream Muggle

High Score:
  3. hanabanana

hanabanana Squib

High Score:
    I have to choose Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived. Even though it's an abandoned fic, this story will always be one of my favorites. The grammar is great, there isn't too much OCs, and the character development and the way the author demonstrates the characters and events is just beautiful. Unfortunately, we'll never know its ending.

4. kathryn_518

kathryn_518 Squib

I'm sure this will be repeated ad naseum but A Black Comedy by Nonjon.

While the story is... fair. The thought and world building that goes into wards are interesting, It's the dialogue that sets this fic above any others. So quick witted and dry comments make it.

5. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Favorite fic of all time, from any fandom?

It probably has to be Forward, by Peptuck.

Firefly fandom - it's effectively an attempt at an episodic format intended to be Season 2, and it is truly incredible once it hits its stride.

For Harry Potter, I think I'm going to go off the beaten path a little bit, and select a more recent fic.

Perfectly Normal Thank You Very Much, by Sorrows/Casscade.

It's a relatively short fic, clocking in at only 16k words, but it captures the whimsy and wonder of the magical world in a way no fic ever has for me, a feeling that I've been searching for since I read the Diagon Alley scene in the Philosopher's Stone for the very first time.

There are other fics I'd recommend for world building, for character development, for depth, for many things - but if I'm only choosing one in the fandom, this is it.

6. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

I'm actually a pretty a big fan of the HP/Dresden files thing that at least was pretty huge here on DLP, and I got to say that my favourite fic of all time is a part of that.

Awaken Sleeper just ticks all of my boxes in terms of Harry, his power level, personality and such and Dresden files has one of the most interesting universes I've ever come across for that Harry to run around it.

It's something special indeed.

7. 17F

17F Muggle

High Score:
    Got to go with I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, by kathryn518. One of the very few crossovers (with Star Wars, in this case) I've ever read just happened to be one of the best stories. In fact, most of the author's output is bordering on brilliant, if very slow-paced. Character and world building are, therefore, amazing (which I like), but covering a month's time in 200k words is pretty much the usual fare.

8. franek1123

franek1123 Squib

High Score:
    It probably has to be A Magical World
    By: Miranda Flairgold.

9. Raybomber

Raybomber Squib

The best story I have read, one in which I was drawn in by the author whose sheer skill in creating a living breathing world would have to be Dragon from Ash. I still can't get over his description of Whiterun, the sheer scale of the city with its many districts and inhabitants.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  10. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Seeing as most of mine have already been covered, one that's always stuck to my memory is Under the Same Sky by Wimpole Street.

Only 43k words and it was just a really good story. Might be too angsty for some but it's always stuck in the memory bank and I've gone back to re read quite a few times.

Always liked the characterisation of Cynthia and Black and their relationship/friendship was really well done.

11. natero

natero Squib

High Score:
    My personal favourite is Awaken Sleeper by Water Mage. The way that the author inserts Harry Potter into the Dresden Files universe is superb. The story has good spelling and grammar, which is a must for me to consider any story very good. I also enjoy seeing Aurora as a main character. She tends to be neglected in Dresden fanfiction, which makes it a breath for fresh air.

There are some problems though. An OC brother of Harry Potter is used as a rather unwieldy plot device. However, the good far outweighs the bad. Dresden is explained to those not familiar with is, making it a good story for even Harry Potter fans to read, not just Dresden fans. It is, without question, one of my favourite stories.

12. Unresolved

Unresolved Squib

I'm surprised that my favorite hasn't been mentioned yet: Life in Konoha's ANBU.

I've read everything else in this thread and there are several stories that are among my favorites (A Black Comedy, Shadow of Angmar, Awaken Sleeper, etc..), but LIKA draws me in for both its slice-of-life sections and its excellent battle scenes.

13. Amacita

Amacita Squib

High Score:
    I'd have to say Cauterize by Lady Altair. It's a subtle and beautiful look back on the war and just how much it cost everyone. Even years after reading it, this story still comes to mind when I think about the Harry Potter series. I've pretty much forgotten how the canon epilogue went by now, but I still vividly remember the "something essential" missing from the badly framed, "too heavy on one side" photo of George Weasley.

For a story that only took a few minutes to read, I'm still amazed at how memorable it is.

14. TallDarkStranger

TallDarkStranger Fourth Year

High Score:
    All time, all fandoms - A Game of Champions.
    Gold version showed us motherfucking Red for the first time. Badass beyond compare, slayer of Gary-smellYaLater-Oak. Everyone wanted to be Red, and his backstory is nothing less than what I'd expect.

All time, Harry Potter - Magicks of the Arcane/ The Lesser Sadness.
    BattleMagic gets me. Good but realistic Dumbledore too.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  15. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    I think I'm going to go with Victory at Ostagar as my submission. There's many other good fics I enjoy rereading, but most have already been mentioned, and VaO is one that stands out to me for fully fleshing out all its characters, and so thoroughly exploring the world of DA:O.

16. Dalem

Dalem Squib

High Score:
    My favorite fan fiction would have to be Reload by Case13. I have read higher quality fanfics but there is something about how it treats the antics of the groundhog day Naruto and Sauske that I can not quite articulate (something to do with the fact that they are both kind of insane and overly skilled but do not have overwhelming power) that makes this the fanfic that I have enjoyed the most.

17. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    A great on is Harry Potter and the Summer of Change by lorddwar.

A must read for everyone.

18. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm curious which story do you like more Hurricane Suite or Patriot's Dawn?

And to keep with the trend: Circular Reasoning

19. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Always a tough call. Obviously I love the concepts in both as I'm writing them (not as much as I'd like). The scale of the AU in Hurricane Suite is always fun for me to come back to, but makes writing it far more difficult at times. Probably Hurricane Suite given the far reaching plans I have, but it's a toss up most days.

/miniderail

20. mcbob

mcbob Squib

High Score:
    My favourite is Emperor by Marquis Black in which Harry conquers Europe, without becoming a Dark Lord.