1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

500 for 500

Discussion in 'FanFic Discussion' started by Nuhuh, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Moderator

'500 for 500' is something Jon, Shezza, and I used to do back in our Dresden writing days. We competed against each other to see who could write 500 words the fastest.

It was great for writing motivation, and we would exchange what we had written right after so we all got to enjoy a tiny preview of what the other was going to eventually post to dlp and ff.

Recently due to my work/study life I've had very little time to write, but I realize that if I took just a little break to throw out 500 words like I used to with Jon and Shezza every day I would have a chapter done in relatively little time.

So what I am looking for are people who might be interested in doing 500 words a day everyday minimum. No limit on the maximum. Just as a fun way to build up writing discipline. We can make a group on DLP and just post to it, to keep each other honest, and of course reward each other with glimpses of stories which won't be posted until the full chapter is ready.

This worked really well for Shezza, Jon, and I. I don't know if others would like to do it, but if you would, post here and I will see about getting a group started.

Basic rules of membership would be that you have to write. Don't just join the group for the sake of getting chapter previews. I don't want to be uber draconian about it, though; it's just meant to be a fun way to write more frequently with discipline.

So any takers?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  2. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

You know, I think this is exactly what I need. I'll go for a while where I write 20k a week, but afterward, I won't write anything for months. Maybe this will keep me on a writing schedule of sorts.

I'm in. PM me if you do come up with a group.

3. Garden

Garden Minister of Magic

I'll do it. My writing isn't anywhere near the caliber of most DLP authors, but I'd like to improve it. This seems like a good opportunity.

4. Rym

Rym Auror

Honestly, this is exactly what I need. I'm really pushed for time right now too and I've been trying to teach myself how to separate writing from editing. I want to be able to churn out words without dwelling on every single sentence I put to paper. With something like this, I'll be forced to get something out, even if it's not all that great the first time around.

I'm definitely interested. PM if it takes.

5. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Question: if I go in on this, do I have to post my results here? Because I'd probably use the 500+ words I'd write towards one of my fics, and I'd like to have a whole compiled chapter before totally posting.

6. Nuhuh

No, I will make a private group for posting. The idea is not to clutter public threads with snipettes.

Edit. And I too intend to write for my current fics. So I don't want to post incomplete scenes in WBA, etc.

7. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

When's this starting? Count me the fuck in.

8. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

9. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I actually started doing this for myself yesterday. I was going for 1k words a day but I only got 550 done, so I've set 500 as my goal. I'm interested. However, I was planning on entering the story I've started into the Alternates contest, if I get enough done (and with 500 words a day, it'll be at least 12k, which should be enough). Would there be some sort of conflict there, and would I just join the group after I post my submission?

10. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler Prestige

High Score:
    I'm definitely in - my update rate has slowed lately, this could be just the thing to get me back going.

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fuck it, I'm gonna do it.

EDIT: 500 words in an hour. Awesome.

12. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

I want in, trying to bang out more of my fic. I keep losing focus on the writing, maybe this will help.

13. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm in as well.

14. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

I'll write you 5000 if you continue that Harry/Sister story from ages ago.

15. Lindsey

Lindsey Death Eater

I'm in as well. I need a drive like this. Last chapter I posted was in November... I only need about 1000 words to complete my latest chapter.

I think we need a beta period though. It's so much easier to say "I can do it" than actually doing it.

I don't want people joining, writing 500 words a day for a few weeks and then dropping off the face of the earth only to peak in for the sneak peaks.

edit: Just wrote 2000 words in plot outlines. I am reaaddyy

16. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Yeah, I'm down. Real life and procrastination has kicked my ass lately, and I so need a reason to get back to writing. Fuckin bring it Nuhuh.

17. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Nuhuh, how could you? You let our secret cult art out for the world to see!

18. Portus

Portus Heir

You can imagine how I misread that.

On topic: I'm in.

19. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

I'd like to do it. So how would this work? The same way the contests are done?

20. Nuhuh

Well, I didn't expect this fast or great a response, so I had been thinking of starting it at the end of this work week. But looking at the thread now, I will set up the group asap, and post in here that it's up. Latest by tomorrow, we can start either Tuesday or Wednesday.

I don't think this will be a conflict but if you want your story entry to be secret like everyone else's will be, maybe you want to hold off on putting in your March Challenge entry in there. If you don't care, have at it. Your choice, really.

It took you an hour? Pussy. :D

Which one would that be. >_>

Jon (if he joins, which he really should) and I will be the god kings of this project and will make arbitrary decisions based on our wisdom of who is just there for sneak previews. Joking aside, I am aware of this possible loophole as I said in my first post, so I will make sure this doesn't happen. By the way how did you 'woke' 2000 words? ;) And what do you write?

Now, now, eager beaver, get your feet wet, before you challenge the veteran fish at this game. :)

I...I...was so lonely! Shezz and you abandoned me to real life! I'm trying to fill a hole with poor substitutes. I'm still waiting for you.

No, this isn't a competition really. It's more or less a support group (lol). The only bragging rights you will get out of this is how long you wrote 500/day continuously. That's how you 'win' this contest.