1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete A Captain And A Madman by RazielLordOfSquirrels -T - ST:TNG/DrWho

Discussion in 'Television and Movies' started by Tasoli, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Title: A Captain And A Madman
    Author: RazielLordOfSquirrels
    Rating: T
    Genre: Sci-Fi/Adventure
    Fandom: StarTrek: The Next Generation + Doctor Who Crossover
    Pairings: N/A
    Summary: When a strange, blue box appears in the middle of Federation territory, motionless and without power, it's up to the crew of the Enterprise D to determine just who its strange occupant is... and if he is friend or foe. Even as that very madman wonders just what kind of reality he's found himself in... and if he really wants to find his way back... (SOME REVIEWS CONTAIN SPOILERS)
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9319253/1/A-Captain-And-A-Madman

Wohoo this story is awesome. Now where to start.

This is a story about Doctor in Star Trek universe by [spoiler*] he is pulled to TNG universe. At first it looks pretty standart for this kind of a stories but unlike the rest of them this is going somewhere. Ending is infact amazing. Hell there is a throw away line that turns some of the actions of some people from canon TNG in its head.

Infact I am going to stop talking about it least I spoiler the actual mystery behind some things but this story is what an Xover is supposed to be.

Cheers.

2. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

This fuckin story is so spectacular I can hardly find a starting point to type words.

I might come back later, during some semblance of sobriety, but its a 5/5.

The Doctor, Jean-Luc Picard, and Janeway vs the Borg, later in the tale.

Seriously, read this shit.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  3. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Read it in one sitting. Some chapters could be better in my opinion, but with the ending that just really works, it's probably one of the best crossover fic in any fandoms.

My rating is 4.5/5 rounded to 5/5.

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    So, my exposure to Star Trek isn't the most extensive, and the 11th Doctor not even my favorite.

Some few bits were boring; some others I had to outright skip. The first two thirds of the Borg arc was a slog to go through.

Still, this is a great story. A textbook example of a great crossover, incoprorating and meshing both verses with respect and creativity.

It's fundamentally good writing; regardless of fandom. Introduction, escalation, resolution and payoff, executed almost perfectly (excluding the skippable bits mentioned before).

Even if the subject matter itself isn't my usual cup of tea, the author absolutely drew me in. The payoff -the twist at the end- a perfect climax but not the only interesting part as to make the rest of the story forgettable.

Easy 5/5

5. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Not much more I can add to the above, really. Its well written, meshes the two settings together intelligently, and told a genuinely interesting story. I'm not that familiar with any Trek, so I can't comment on the characterisation from that side, but the Doctor was decently done, and Eleven's brand of whimsy is tricky to capture, so good job there.

I did feel that some of the middle sections didn't add a massive amount to the story, but they were out of the way pretty briskly, so not too much of an issue.

Hard not to give it anything other than 5/5.

6. The.Snorting.Hat

The.Snorting.Hat Second Year

High Score:
    The very definition of masterful plotting. Everything ties up in such a nice bow-tie.
    To think that it was done by meshing two pre-existing canons without changing anything of the canons is simply brilliant.
    5/5

7. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

It seems everybody is agrees with me that this is a great story. SO I think it is time for this story to go to Library because it deserves it. Plus it is kind of story that would age very well as well since it is so well written.

8. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Okay I'll move it to the trash ;)