1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete A Foul Light Shines by Karazor -M- My Little Pony + Warhammer 40K crossover

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Dnar Semaj, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Dnar Semaj

Dnar Semaj Seventh Year

Title: A Foul Light Shines
    Author: Karazor
    Rating: M
    Genre: Sci-fi / Adventure
    Fandom: My Little Pony FiM + Warhammer 40K
    Pairings: None at all
    Summary: Driven by an intense Warp storm, a Rogue Trader vessel finds itself crippled and stranded above a world no human has ever visited. The natives are friendly; can the visitors say the same? A Warhammer 40k/Friendship is Magic crossover. Yes, really.
    Link: A Foul Light Shines

Cannot speak for Warhammer 40K, but the attitudes and actions of the ponies are spot on. Intriguing twist on MLP:FiM canon. No grammar or spelling mistakes. No cliches. Well done and highly recommended - 5/5.

2. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just a bit of a forewarning: my knowledge of Warhammer 40k is picked up second-hand. I've never played the tabletop game, any of the computer RTS games or the latest Space Marine action game. However, I think I have a fair enough grasp of the universe.

I'll put the review I left on FFN here:

To expand on some points in that second paragraph -- yes, Twilight was told of the sacrifices to keep the Emperor "alive," if you want to call it that, and she saw how the marines operate when they killed the behir, but... she didn't seem to have much to comment on it. I'd have thought that she'd be more, I don't know, outraged at how phenomenally fucked up the WH40K-verse is. I don't know, might just be me.

You don't see much of the other ponies outside of Twilight and Rainbow Dash. Not a major complaint, really, but I'd have liked a little more of them included.

Also, I take issue with Celestia and Luna being referred to as gods so much in the fandom. I accepted it in Fallout: Equestria, because they were only really thought of as gods after they... well, you know, after. I guess it fits with the WH40K angle better though.

And I'll reiterate my biggest complaint: that is an incredibly shitty ending, assuming that's how it's supposed to be and how the author's leaving it. Nothing was fucking resolved.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  3. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'll second the ending being the fic's biggest problem. It feels really rushed and a touch confusing, not to mention that it leaves far too much hanging. At the very least, it needs an epilogue to tie things up, but I'd really say the last couple chapters would need a serious re-write.

Aside from the ending, it's a decently solid fic for what it does. Sending in Rogue Traders was a nice nod to some of the more obscure lore, and does help maintain actual peaceful contact. The human characters all seem decent, though Seria is the only one who gets much in the way of in-depth development.

Twilight and Rainbow Dash are definitely at center-stage, though the fic is short enough that some of the ponies being out of focus isn't as huge of an issue as it could be.

On the Celestia and Luna as deities issue, I'd say there's an important distinction between saying Celestia and Luna have godlike power and saying that they're actual deities. Drawing a parallel to the God-Emperor of Mankind as the fic did early on isn't a bad example, both are just about immortal, and ridiculously powerful by the normal standards of their species. However, establishing Celestia and Luna as worshiped religious figures really doesn't work.

Not quite sure how to rate it; if not for the ending, I'd probably give it a 5/5, but that ending really drags it down and ruins the whole story. Aside from just being unsatisfying, the ending feels like it's cutting off what could have been a much longer and very interesting story. I would've liked to see the ponies interact with the 40k universe a bit more.