1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP A Grey World by agreyworld - T - Original Fiction

Discussion in 'Original Fiction' started by Oz, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Tomster10010

Tomster10010 Fourth Year

I like this and quite enjoyed Alexis giving her bullies a comeuppance.

2. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Seems to me like the military could make a lot of use of her talents. They'd have to look harder to find a more suitable person to do wetwork.

3. Rym

Rym Auror

Bump. This is continuing to update consistently. With the newest chapter, it seems that book 2 is coming to a close. Some big things have happened and it will certainly be interesting to see where this goes from here.

TSN
  4. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

I read the first few chapters of this forever ago, never really got into it. With Worm ending I needed a new web serial to get my fix so I retried this one. Holy Shit. If, like me, you've been putting off reading this or never got into it I strongly recommend you read it. I love the fight scenes and the romance sub-plot, and all-in-all the story is just handled excellently.

5. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

A very entertaining story with an very interesting protagonist/setting. Like the others here I found the bullying/family stuff a bit over the top but the others parts of it made more than up for it.

While the plot is nice I am not sure how I feel about the whole government agency/black ops theme because it seems to make it unnecessary complicated. It feels like this story doesn´t really know what it wants to be/tries to be everything at once. Is it a modern coming of age story, (military) sci-fi, a spy story(like a dark themed Alex Rider) or something else?

Still this is critic on a high level and and I can´t wait too see what happens next.

6. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

Yeah I'm a little on the fence about this one. There's a whole bunch of disparate elements floating around right now. All of which vary in theme.

I think my verdict on this one is going to stay nebulous until everything comes together a little more smoothly. At the moment I quite like the romance, and ground level street stuff. Everything else is sitting in 'ok' territory for now.

7. Rym

Rym Auror

Joe (the author) has said that when he first started writing, he didn't really have an end game in mind, only a premise. I believe that now he knows where he's taking the story, so things should settle out and streamline from here on.

8. AGreyWorld

AGreyWorld Squib

Yeah, the plot is a bit all over the place I admit! If there was one thing I would improve it would be my planning/plotting.

As Rymrock mentioned, I started with a 'this would be cool' and just seat-of-my-pantsed it from there. And it shows. It's come up with some interesting ideas that I probably would have never come across if I'd tried to follow a well defined plan (or even had an ending in mind when I started) but I tried to do a lot of things when sometimes less is more.

It's kind of like a first draft of a novel - a bit experimental. I'd like to go back and do a proper re-write with the aim of making it more consistent from the beginning.

I'm surprised I even have any readers though. I started this for a bit of fun, and, in the end - It's kinda more fun to write if I don't have a clue what's going to happen.

Thanks for the comments though, I like coming and checking up on this thread every now and again.