1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete A Keen Observer by DeepDownSlytherin-K+

Discussion in 'Romance' started by Bentgame, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Bentgame

Bentgame First Year

Title: A Keen Observer
    Author: DeepDownSlyterin
    Rating: K+
    Genre: Drama/Romance
    Library Category: Romance
    Pairings: Andromeda Black/Ted Tonks
    Summary: Andromeda says little, but she sees everything. Through their years at Hogwarts, she watches her sisters as one falls in love and one falls into madness, and doesn't see as a muggleborn boy breaks into her sheltered life.
    Link: A Keen Observer

Told from Andromeda's point of view, it's the story of the Black family. It shows how a family can torn apart by war and opposing beliefs. Worth reading because, even knowing what they become, you still care about the characters. 4/5.

Checked by Sorrows: 03/08/2019

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2019
  2. LJordan

LJordan Muggle

High Score:
    The writing is very good, some of the best I've seen.
    The author is a true story teller and the fic keeps your attention even if, damn it, you already know what's gonna happen.
    I didn't get any OC vibes, but the fact is that canon doesn't particularly develop these characters, nor does it explain their motivations or the road they traveled, it just sets you up in the "destination". So there might be some deviation, but after all, it's fanfiction.
    As character(s) study, it's bril.
    I think most people would enjoy it.
    4/5

3. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

I'm not a big fan of Marauders-era fics, certainly not those focused on the Black sisters, and usually role my eyes at pretentious "Slytherin aristocracy"... but, I have to agree, this story is excellent so far.

I really like the contemplative tone of the narration, which reminds me of Robin Hobb, and the prose is superb at portraying the nostalgic perspective. On the downside, the plot is pretty dull, and the story is missing on the magical aspect, but I suppose that the distinct portrayal of the social fabric is really the focal point here. Very enjoyable, immersive read.

4/5.

4. Ajax the Great

Ajax the Great Squib

High Score:
    I do feel like I'm reiterating what has been described above, but nonetheless, it's true. The writing itself is quite excellent, however, the actual subject matter is a bit lacking. The focus on the Black sisters is certainly an oddity in itself, but, there just isn't that much content to work off of in my opinion, and the fic will suffer as a result. That being said, I would like to see where it goes, and I did enjoy what I read, yet I worry for the future of the piece.

4/5.

5. witch

witch Squib

High Score:
    This is such a beautiful story. Although the jump into marriage was a bit too quick, the development of all characters and relationships were well paced and heart-affecting. I still have conflicting thoughts about my childhood, and I feel like Andromeda had the right amounts of nostalgia and sadness that many folks who grew up in similar situations do. Great read, great pacing, great everything

4.9/5

6. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Im usually not a fan of Marauders-era fics, but thats usually because they are willfully ignorant of canon.

After a wobbly initial chapter this keeps getting stronger and stronger and as an exploration of that kind of era I think only Worf's fic is on this kind of level. Its very good. The interactions between Andromeda and Sirius are n truth the main highlight of this fic.

My only complaint is that at points the family drama can come off as a little melodramatic, but I suppose thats inherit in what its about.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  7. Darth V

Darth V First Year DLP Supporter

Great story, loved reading it. The characters were great and, though I can't explain why, it's really believable, though some parts seemed, I don't know, forced somehow.

4/5

8. Smarmy

Smarmy Muggle

I really liked it.

Characters in fics like this are almost OC since canon says very little about them, but the author did a great job not only creating them but also developing them which most authors seem fail at.
    I thought the family dynamics were spot on for the most part,, though it can be melodramatic as someone mentioned earlier.
    But it's a great story from a perspective I've never read before, which is strange because Andromeda is an interesting and tragic character.

5/5

9. Stan

Stan Order Member

Your worry is quite unnecessary. The story is complete, and has been so since 2006.

This was a fairly good story. I didn't think the writing was anything extraordinary, but it was serviceable. Family dynamics were handled well for the most part. All three Black sisters were well characterized; I liked Bellatrix's characterization the best. Easily the best young Bellatrix I've read, much better than Delenda Est's bland, whitewashed version. Sirius was cool too. Ted Tonks was a tad dull though -- I didn't particularly care for him at any point.

A solid story, and well worth a read, though you probably shouldn't expect anything extraordinarily brilliant.

4/5.

10. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Bentgame, you missed the word count, which happens to be 149k.