1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Last Resort by LDR - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Imperius, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Imperius

Imperius First Year

Title: [A Last Resort]
    Author: [LDR]
    Rating: [M]
    Genre: [Adventure]
    DLP Category: [Time Travel]
    Pairing: [None / Future H/OC]

Summary: Post OOTP, With a world gone to waste and Voldemort in power Harry must use the last option available to him to defeat the monster. Harry obeys the course of action Dumbledore sets for him should everything go wrong.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4196344/1/A_Last_Resort

Very cliche category and it starts similarly with Harry going back to Marauder's Era and meeting his parents. But after that it starts improving. Interesting characterization and good writing.
    Its not an epic fic but definitely a good read for this category lovers.

I searched the forum to check if the story has been previously posted and also checked the list of stories.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  2. Archer

Archer Fourth Year DLP Supporter

3. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Is this from the fic?

If so, EPIC FUCKING FAIL.

I don't do 'Harry goes back to the Marauder's time' fics, and this tells me all I need to know.

4. Imperius

Imperius First Year

I would ask you to skip the first few chapters. The duel's are described nicely. And I liked the fic so I thought I should share it.

5. Zilly Sawdust

Zilly Sawdust High Inquisitor

Beware, Thar Be Trunk-dwellers Here!!

6. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

skip? how many? is it really so poorly written that you can pick it up just anywhere?

7. Imperius

Imperius First Year

Well the first 2 chapters are full of so many cliche's i couldn't read. So I skimmed through them. But later the story progresses well.

8. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

Skimmed the first couple chapters, read about 4 more, and I still can't get into it. The story has too many things obviously overlooked. Harry James Watson as a name, and his appearance didn't even change. The Order members aren't that stupid, I think they can look at him and say "OMG! It's another Potter!" blue streak or not.

It's okay if you can get over the cliches. The grammar's not too poor and the characters aren't out-of-character. 2.5/5

9. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I didn't even get to the actual reading of the story, while reading the DLP reviews I saw MAGICAL!TRUNK!HOUSE (with free lawn furniture) and the words Blue Streak... By which I'm assuming you're talking about a streak of blue in his hair.

I FUCKING LOATHE THIS SHIT. You ever dye your hair blue? Not only does it look retarded, but if it's blue on black then its impossible to see. Grow the fuck up you dumb emo bitch.

10. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

@Imperius: You posted a story that made mention of a magical trunk, knowing that it amounts to auto-fail 'round here...

Maybe you didn't understand: MAGICAL TRUNKS

:wall:Bin, plox.

11. Vorpal

Vorpal Third Year

The whole magical trunk thing was pointless, apparently just an excuse to one-up an asshole salesman and establish that Harry has money, and never mentioned again.

But it alone isn't a deal-breaker. There are more serious issues with this story. Logical consistency regarding appearance has been mentioned above, but there is also some little details, such as Harry calling Voldemort 'Tom' in a conversation with Dumbledore early on, and yet later on Dumbledore seems to be surprised that Harry knows who he is. Pretty much the same thing with Lily--Harry first claims to know little about Voldermort to get her to talk, but very soon after volunteers all kinds of little-known information about him under the guise of "knowing my parents' killer."

Now, it could be that the characters are just too dumb to realize the inconsistencies, but when the characters are that dumb, I'm afraid the story suffers anyway. (Speaking of dumb, what's the point of doing a successful "douse with alcohol" spell at all if one isn't going to follow-up with a fire?) Pretty much the only reason I read it all the way is that I've a weakness towards time-travel stories, but nevertheless, this just isn't that great.

12. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Like the above poster, I have a weakness for time travel stories.

I really wanted to like this one, but I just couldn't. Those inconsistencies are nothing compared to the real problem with this story: everything is too perfect. There is no goddamn hook-ups, fuck-ups, or things going wrong. The author probably doesn't realize how boring this makes the story.

For example, the timelessly cliche use of the Marauder's Map. But instead of having MWPP call him out on being Harry Potter, Dumbledore in his infinite wisdom before Harry left the future cast a spell that fixed this problem. So instead of conflict and confrontation, this is just a list of how awesome Harry is.

2/5, regretfully.

Kevin

13. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

Nothing special, 2/5

14. Imperius

Imperius First Year

Well I actually have a tendency of skimming the cliche parts of the fics, else I wont be reading any fanfic since most of them have at least a few cliche's.

I agree the author started really poorly, but one thing I like about this fic was how duel's were described.

About the magical trunk, I skipped that paragraph when it started. The grammer is good and I am a fan of this category, so I liked it.

15. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Personally I found the fight scenes rather dull and unimaginative; they lacked description and cleverness. Granted, I have seen much worse...

2/5

16. FollowTheReaper

FollowTheReaper Professor

2.5/5 simply for the sake of it...

17. yhelo

yhelo Sixth Year

This is recycling bin material. Good enough for an honorable mention, but not good enough for the library.

18. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

Dunk the Trunk

Am gonna try and read it in a minute... The whole trunk idea started as a good idea, Im sure, but actually living in one would be a bit, eh, stupid. First off, oxygen. Second off, it should only be at a place people like Moody or the occasional really knowledgable DE will be able to get one. Creating one would have them for wholesale, so really, there should only be a couple people that would even think of specializing in making one. There are a couple of fics out there that make it make sense, but even Rowling had it a bit wierd right there.

Now, if someone were to create a little oneshot where someone or other messed up and then a person got stuck inside the trunk... that would be new.

And if they can have nice little house in a trunk, then why not stick a place to hide in the box around the corner or the owl's cage. It's a really iffy subject. And speaking of... why couldnt some people have little ones with just a room or two hidden in an actual house, like behind a closet or something, where they could go to hide from a death eater looking for them-even if the house got blasted or fired, there should be ways around that if you go on to manipilate space like this. Even an ever-expanding bag seems to be kind of too wholesale.

The offered party who added this fic to the DLP review board was correct. After the beginning of the future and the act of getting to the past, he does get better. He isn't too wierd around the others after the innitial greetings but there are the occasional tense mentions. It isnt too angsty and not purely humor at all but there are of course strains of both. I say 7/10 because some cliches are everywhere and some okay to-the-past-Harrys are often blase and not well-written.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  19. fash

fash Seventh Year DLP Supporter

New chapter is out... it was ok till the ending, I personally hate it when authors have Harry speak to a snake in front of everyone and wonder why everyone looks at him in fear....

20. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

This is the weakest reason to not like the 'room in the trunk' story device.

First: Moody's trunk had multiple compartments, at least one of which was large enough to be called a room. So we've established that, according to canon, magical trunks can have...
    -Multiple compartments.
    -Room-sized compartments.
    And very likely...
    -Multiple room-sized compartments.
    Second: Moody was held captive in his trunk for more than half a year! Unless Crouch left the fucking door ajar, drilled air holes in the trunk, or opened the lid every hour on the hour, there must have been enough air in the trunk for a single adult human to survive for extended periods of time; eight hours, at least, unless Barty gave up on sleeping in order to open the trunk every so often.

No wonder Crouch acted insane, it was actually due to sleep deprivation because he had to keep opening Moody's trunk to let in fresh air! :rolleyes:

One thing to note, is that the room Moody was in didn't look like the interior of a trunk, it looked like "a kind of pit, an underground room." This means that either the expanded rooms inside a trunk can be custom made to mimic the kind of room you'd like, and Moody wanted a pit in his, or that the opening to that compartment was like a portal or doorway, to another location.

And it works in Hogwarts! Sounds a lot like what the Vanishing Cabinets do. Uh oh...

This would open up a whole new can of worms on why wizards carry trunks at all. Why not carry much more easily transported portable doorways which link to the storage closet back home, or to your bedroom? Why buy a temporary portkey when you can go to the Ministry's Portal Terminal and simply walk through a doorway into the country you want to visit?

Or maybe Harry's description just sucked, who knows? Well, you get the idea, so I'll cease this digression. The point is, there's nothing stopping a wizard from using his trunk as a place to spend the night. If it can work for a Wizarding Tent (which even had a kitchen and plumbing, if you'll recall), why not a trunk? Besides, both are canon.

Hate the room in the trunk for being a cliché, don't hate it because it isn't feasible.

Hell, the fact is that, since it is canon, it can only even be as much of a cliché as anything else in canon is; like dementors, pumpkin juice, and apparation.

Who wants to bet that the tent at the World Cup that had the peacocks out front belonged to Malfoy?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008