1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP A Necessary Gift: A Harry Potter Story by cosette-aimee

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by CosmosGravitation, Oct 16, 2011.

1. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

Yeah, as far as stories that end up in the recycle bin go, reviewers were pretty gentle with this one. Most agreed the story's beginning was mediocre and cliche but improved as it went along, which I think a good author would use as motivation to reassure themselves they were improving and to strive to get even better.

There are plenty of valid reasons to dislike this story, but this is one I don't understand. He is using a fake name to hide his identity - he still thinks of himself as Harry Potter. Orion Black is a disguise to conceal the fact that he's Harry Potter, why would anyone have a problem with that?

I find the reviewers that say they've been reading HP fanfiction for years yet have never heard of DLP even more amusing. I don't know how that is possible.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  2. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Because they read complete tripe, obviously.

3. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Apparently, if one reads the reviews, we are..

"..utterly thoughtless, conscienceless, juvenile and crass..."

"..they kind of hate everything over there..."

"...They never have anything nice to say about any story...."

"...I think they hate almost everyone...."

"..Uh...because the DLP knitting circle is clearly the best place to go for unbiased constructive criticism. Really?.."

"...I googled another story I liked once and found DLP hating on that too. I think maybe they just have no taste :p..."

"... a bunch of elitist, self-proclaimed pseudo-critics and quasi-experts (and consisted mostly of mediocre writers at best, if writers at all) at DLP think is beyond me...."

"...Doesent DLP forums hate 99.99% of fanfics anyway?I would give very little importance to opinion of that egoinflated, overly self-important bunch of ill-manered scrubs that act like they have PhD in English and literature,yet most of them are barely able to write more than: this sucks etc etc...."

"...Talk about elitist bigots..."

"...Meh forget the people at DLP too much circle jerking going on abouts there. Some great fics have been abandoned because the authors listened to some of the talentless hacks at that site..."

So, it seems we're the KKK of fanfiction.

Does that mean we get to go on a mass-murdering rampage of the people we don't like and go down in history? I'm all up for that.

4. Wizard Giller

Wizard Giller Seventh Year

99.99% of fanfics are horrible anyway.

5. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

Need some cheering up? Story not getting enough reviews? Mention DLP and all the whiteknights will come rushing to defend your honor and shower your with unwarranted praise while inflating your review count.

Because a review saying "gud storay plz wriet moar" is worth more than constructive criticism.

6. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

The only reason you'll call DLP a horrible place to be is because you have too thin a skin and/or are too fucking stupid to realise that we have some of the best authors in Harry Potter fan fiction and beyond.

Having said that, I'm reading this atm and I have read a lot worse. The problem for me is that it doesn't draw me in and I feel myself wanting to skim through chapters.

7. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

This isn't even a negative thread, It's average and the rating seems to be on the right side of 3. Hilarious DLP hate is hilarious.

8. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

Well, I have the story at 4 with potential upwards. The characters feel real and she expands on the pureblood society in a way which I enjoy reading, surprisingly. So I don't really get what all this heat is about.

9. melior

melior Seventh Year

I just read the entire thing yesterday, and I like it. Seems like at least some of the issues earlier in the thread have been addressed, since she mentioned she updated the first couple chapters.

As an interesting side note, I actually got quite a few negative reviews when I posted my DLP contest entry on FFnet because I mentioned DLP in the summary. I don't think it hurt the number of views or anything though.

10. bugler

bugler Second Year

I've had this story on my list of favourites for quite some time, and I definitely think it has a spot in the Library, even though the author getting upset about criticism is never a good sign.

It seems to have already been established by previous posters that there are few slash vibes here, if any. There is a decent mix of old ideas and some quite new ones, and the author offers an interesting take on pureblood views and society.

As for the writing, I may have seen more engaging prose, but I have definitely seen far, far worse. Harry has a different name, yes, but his thoughts and actions are still recognisably his own, and the secrets they discuss with Sirius serve as a further testament to Harry's true identity and purpose.

(N.B: WalkingDisaster, I got a good laugh from your compilation of anti-DLP invective; there really should be a separate thread where people would be encouraged to post stuff like that whenever they find it on their perilous journeys through the dregs of HP fan fiction.)

11. Ennead

Ennead Seventh Year

There's a lot of mention of slash vibes, but I'm really not seeing it? To me it seems more like Harry is refraining from all relationships because of his mental age/physical body gap. In fact, that's one of the better aspects to this fic, since it'd be seriously skeevy if he developed a romantic interest in any of his 11 year old peers. Lack of character bashing is also a big plus.

Anyways, I follow this fic because of the magical theory and political plotline. My only real criticism is that Harry is a little too passive. It's due to his age mostly, but it makes for a less-interesting character since we're only reading about how he acts through Sirius. Maybe as the story develops that will change, but for now, all we're seeing is the potential and none of the action. And a lot of things are also being handwaved aside as alternate universe shenanigans, but does anyone else think the prejudice is just a bit too exaggerated?

12. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

It's funny, I just started reading this the other day and didn't even know it was in the Bin. I rarely read anything outside of WBA, but I like this. Its refreshing, for its flaws.

And I haven't seen any signs of slash. Like, zero - case in point, Harry mentions being attracted to witches, and expresses his discomfort in being a child, as he can't bang hot older witches since he's a kid. It wasn't in those words, but that was the gist of it.

It's an alright story, and I like it. 3/5, for now.

Ennead, I think it's less so exaggerated and more so the perspective this story is coming from: a pureblood, enmeshed in a bigoted pureblood society, as opposed to a half-blood wizard kid otherwise engrossed with learning magic and surviving Hogwarts.

13. theronin

theronin Order Member

The story isn't really bad, just sort of... uninspired is a good word for it. It has some potential possibly if the author decides to actually make something happen. It's been what, 20 chapters and the worst thing that has been cast at him was a tickling spell...

14. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I can't stop laughing at some of the juvenile DLP "hate" in the reviews.

Shit is funny, seriously.

One "review" thinly veiled its "OMG THIS AWESOME I LIEK THIS AND U SHUD DO THIZ IN TEH FUTUAR!" vibe with the whole "DLP are a bunch of literature-hating morons" approach.

15. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Would've helped his case a lot more if his spelling was a little better. ;)

My favorite review personally was:

Its an ok story, not good, but not bad. 3/5

16. friedmann

friedmann Squib

High Score:
    In case people are interested, the story now has 24 chapters (rather than 22 as stated in the first post.) It's perhaps not the best fanfiction story ever, but I personally really like the political machinations and how the focus is not just on defeating Voldemort, but also trying to reform society.

17. Verminard

Verminard Seventh Year

You can't trust the Dutch!

18. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

19. Starscion

Starscion First Year

It's a decent story, I won't be re-reading but I remember enough to follow along. The Voldemort has the philosophers stone bit seems interesting if it's done well in the future. Wasn't a fan of the Harry Hermione interactions since the author portrays both as idiots.

20. Thedutchyy

Thedutchyy Squib

High Score:
    It's actually one of the few HP stories I'm still keen on following lately. What I like is the political aspect of it. Harry, now called Orion Black is using the influence of the House of Black to even the playing field for later on. It shows a fun side of the pureblood society, that the canon books don't show. Though, a muggle raised, Harry does conform quickly to purebloods.

I recommend it. Have an open mind and you'll like this fic. Like the political scene and you'll enjoy this one :)

3/5