1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete A Second Chance at Life Series by Miranda Flairgold - T/M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ChuckDaTruck, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Vecna

Vecna Fourth Year

I have to agree with Lord Serapheth, I just read chapter 15 and there was almost nothing in there that was related to harry potter at all.

2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Well he isnt Harry Potter anymore, is he? Normally I hate stories that stray too far from cannon but I like this.

3. Vecna

Vecna Fourth Year

It's not that this is a bad story, but it is no longer a Harry Potter story.

4. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

true, but I like it

5. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

Oh come on people, what do you expect from an post-HBP fic that doesn't involve the trio or Ginny (or misunderstood!Snape/Malfoy), the easy way out of this hell is just creating an AU setting.

6. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

If one can't tolerate the post-HBP universe, then they shouldn't write in it. It's easy enough to start from wherever in canon you like. I don't mind some AU. Hell, both of my fics are extremely AU. But I do expect that what I read will at least bear some resemblance to the canon universe. This fic has some guy name Rakhesh fighting against Incan sorcerors in the Americas. It's reached the point where it isn't Harry Potter at all. It's an original fiction posted in the Harry Potter category. You're exactly right. The author has taken the easy way out by flat-out replacing the canon. It's a cop out IMO, and it comes across as such.

7. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

I know what you mean, and by the way I like the way you use AU settings without going overboard.

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

9. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

personally, this is my favorite fic, other than dakaath

10. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

yeah, I like it a lot too.

11. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Its really the only story I like that is more AU than Canon. The only problem i've had with it so far is that he spent far too many chapters back in the past. It was starting to get annoying but now he's back so every thing is cool.

12. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Yeah, that was real annoying that whole shtick in the past.

I dig the whole "politics of the school" thing. One thing I don't like is how they talk so casually about Voldemort. Britain CAN'T be THAT retarded. Voldemort would be like the equivalent of one of the best students ever at Akren. Far better than Valedictorian of Akren. The line "waiting for Voldemort to takeover so they could takeover for him" pissed me off. It minimalizes Voldemort.

Other than those two things, for an AU, this story is FANTASTIC.

13. True Story

True Story Third Year

I agree fully with this statement!

14. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

i really love this fic...but im so flipping lost at the moment...something about ancient south american wizards...and them demons....and then dragon blood...im soooooo confused

15. Burt

Burt Fourth Year

Well, it's probably just them being arrogant. They think, "He's just a weak little European ... how tough can he possibly be?" People from outside of Europe probably have their own dark wizards to worry about, and don't want to think that someone from the Retarded Land could ever be a threat.

Becides, Harry was talking realistically about being the top dog at Akren Mountain -- no doubt that no mortal has ever done that, and I get the feeling that the author is going to make Harry do.

16. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Burt is correct.

They dont care about Voldemort because they havent really been around any places thats been under Voldemort's control and seen the horrors of the first and second wars up close 'n personal. They'd just think he is some above average dark wizard thats giving the brits a bit of trouble and isnt that much of a threat to people on the other side of the planet. When Voldemort goes global, thats when they'll start worrying about him and realise that he isnt something to be joked about. Harry knows but he can be a little boastful, cant he? He has escaped the man like 5 times even thou most of it was luck. He isnt Voldemort's equal yet but he's leaning to shed his fear of him.

Anyway, in most stories Harry calls him names like Tommy, Voldie, Moldie, Snake-Boy, ect. Thats playing him down, isnt it? Meh.

I'd like to see that master vampire dude take Voldemort on. That guy would be able to give him a run for his money I think.

17. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

This story was good...up to a point. When the author started reaming on Hogwarts and the British way of magic, it just made me mad. I mean, the school, if you're expected to protect yourself and supposed to heal yourself. And, it's impossible that the British wizards are so out of touch with the rest of the wizarding world. I mean, all it takes is one person to travel to the Americas, and tell some of his buddies about how modern things are outside of Britain.

18. True Story

True Story Third Year

Srispg where did you get your avatar and what is it of?

19. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Good. I still like this story even though its out there.

20. True Story

True Story Third Year

I emailed the author and she said she wasn't very good at writting romance, so after she finishes the series she would write a slash version. At least this one wont have any....