1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete A Second Chance at Life Series by Miranda Flairgold - T/M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ChuckDaTruck, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Oz is awesome like that. And the summary IS better than whats actually written.

2. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Sounds like you quit before Ron gets eviscerated and his guts get pulled out of him while he's still alive to be used in a ritual.

That part was sort of cool.

3. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A large part of this fic's charm is exactly those ridiculously powerful demigod-level beings existing, mortal humans being pathetic, and Rahkesh (harry) rising to be some omgwtfbbw! amongst them. And the much more 'arcane high fantasy' magical setting than canon.

And exactly what part of permanently carving runes into one's skin to gain a plethora of powers, literally often bathing in one's own blood, isn't cool?

And Oz is just mean, if correct in his vague worst-point summary. You can make almost every fic look bad like that.

I also remember Miranda saying that she had the third fic of this to-be trilogy already in mind and wanted to write it, but decided to do a prequel or two for it. So these two fics have basically been only background for the work she really wanted to write. Figures.

~I still don't think that this should be out of the trash bin, however. It's fine here.

4. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Holy shit, it actually gets worse...

I managed to read till the "runs away into the Room of Requirements to train for months" and then I understood that it wouldn't be getting any better.

Seriously, I'm all for Super!Harry and little to no conflict due to his awesomeness, like in DisobedienceWriter's stories, but this is perfect example how not to do that.

1/5

edit:
    also, before my vote - 203 votes, 3.42 average
    after my vote - 204 votes, 3.41 average

5. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Wow, how fucking retarded. I can understand people like Sree reading and not liking the fic, differnet tastes.

But you idiots rating it with out even reading it... your so totally awesome! You don't even have to read something to hate it, just know other dont like it!

I rated this back in the day (years ago) at a 5 when it was still interesting, now it has dragged on so long its about a 3/5 because I still enjoy the magic and discription given.

6. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

;_; I could go into more depth if you want me to.

7. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It's perfectly valid reason if you want to gouge your eyes with a spoon after reading one or two chapters. I wanted to hit the author in the head with a hammer every second or third paragraph. By the time Harry got to deus-ex machina RoR I wondered how much worse could it get. Oz explained that to me.

8. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

How do you know whether we did or did not read something? Do you keep track of what we do here? If you don't, then shut up, because talking like you do just makes you look stupid.

And if you do, then you're some kind of creepy stalker...

Besides, its not your place to flame. The fic was recommended here. People gave their opinions so that others could use those opinions to decide whether or not to read the fic. That's what this website is for!

9. Cosmo4

Cosmo4 Third Year

Lock till update please.

10. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

When people read a hundred word summery and go "OMG is that it 1/5", or "So I hear this story hint at Slash relationships at some point 1/5" It shows they havent done anything more than read this thread.

I don't care if people like Sree give it a 1/5, he's actually read quite a bit of it and thats his opinion.

But it is obvious some people havent read it from what they're saying.

11. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

For the record, yes I've read this, will continue reading this, and if she ever starts the third story (the first two are done), I expect I'll read that too. There are dozens of reasons to dislike this and considering your tastes, dozens of reasons to enjoy it. 3/5 fits this to a T.

That said, it's the fangirlish fervent defenders of this fic meeting the over-exaggerated mastur-flame-baiters of this fic and this thread that are the most entertaining part.

Miranda's basically created a new fantasy world that exists to bash JKR's world in the form of a fanfiction that takes place in the same world. There's your one sentence summary. I think it's generally assumed that Miranda's world deserves more than a little bashing in return. That said:
    After your first summary, I think we all want you to.

12. Paimon

Paimon That fucking cat

I'm not a fan of the whole DemiGod!SuperImportant!CouldKickVoldemortsAssButDoesn't!OCs.

There are more than enough of them to warrant a few face palms.

I also don't buy into the fact that becoming a vampire automatically makes you strong homo ("bi", but really, let's not kid ourselves).

The renaming thing makes it seem like she just wanted HP as a foundation to start on then made him into an OC right off the bat.

All in all, I facepalmed too often to get very far before I got a concussion and had to go to bed.

1/5.

13. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

I'm to lazy to look through all of her chapters, but I believe that this was stated to be true.

14. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is one of the best things said in this thread. One I can wholeheartedly agree with. How nice of some people for think even for others >_>'

Please.

15. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

don't we all?

I wouldn't read pussycannonharry you know...

16. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Harry's got a Pussy-Cannon? :awesome

17. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

I love this thread sooooo much. Pussy-Cannon Harry is clawesome!

18. Paimon

Paimon That fucking cat

Trade Pussy-Cannon Harry for Stronger-yet-still-a-pussy-strong-homo-Harry?

Lol no wai.

19. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

I do believe that the joke has gone over your head.

20. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

But Tinn, there's no such thing as a super-mod, that's just a silly legend.