1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete A Second Chance at Life Series by Miranda Flairgold - T/M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ChuckDaTruck, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I used to really like this fic, a long time ago. But after this latest update, I may never read it again. I skimmed over most it because its the same old stuff. Demons attacking, Daray getting in somehow, Namach made god and then god created the heavens and earth, the mysterious new transformation, the elves may kill him for having the tree. Cant take it anymore.

2. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Wow you manage to get more retarded with every post.

Namach was in for one section which was just him and Rahkesh talking about a ritual.

Daray Didnt do any much and the elves were mentioned once in relation with the tree.

For someone who just skimmed a story you managed to pick stuff up which only lasted 1 or 2 paragraphs.

3. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Daray didnt do much, just the same shit hes been doing for the last 700,000 words. Sneaking into the room, being better than Silas, etc..

Namach is in only in one section, in person. But the constant reminders of how he is the strongest creature on the planet have more than slightly gotten old. He gets stronger with every chapter.

And the idea of the elves killing him over the damn tree has been mentioned in every damn chapter for the last year probably.

4. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

Im marginally surprised that the room of requirement was mentioned and in relation with what happened at the beginning of the fic, i'd been hoping for a bit more cross-over with the seemingly now 'old world' but hey sorta's better then nothing.

Im also happy that she's finally gotten around to digging further into necromancy and i suppose even the god like abilities that is blood magic. The magic that she's incorperated into this story has always kinda been a good point of the 3 fics, even if she does exaggerate several of the characters that serve as more or less deus ex machina.

5. rune knight

rune knight Backtraced

you do know that theyve gotten over the fact that he has a tree they are more likely to kill him because of the transformation which i think is either a death dragon or elf but im a stupid idiot so no way of knowing if im rig:confused:ht

6. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Miranda has stated his final form is not a Death Dragon. Smart money has it being a Quetzalcoatl.

7. carvell

carvell Professor DLP Supporter

Whatever it is we won't find out for at least 10 chapters so that will be sometime around Xmas 2010/11

8. Gipsyspider

Gipsyspider Squib

I thought of that, but frankly I'd rather he transform into an elf. A Quetzalcoatl is just to close to his basilisk and thunderbird forms to merit all the intrigue and drama surrounding his final transformation.

9. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

And when we think the story cannot get any more gay, you propose a new line of gayness.

Either way it does not matter me what he transforms into, I just want to see some action.

10. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

This was made all the funnier by your avatar.

11. rig

rig Guest

i have read the last 10 or so pages of this thread and had the urge to write my opinion of the story (it's 4am and am slightly wasted so forgive me for any spelling mistakes)

i have read the series quite a few times, but not because i liked the story so much, but because the updates happen every month or so and before the new chapter comes out i forgot nearly half the story (what can you do if it's that fucking long + i got bad memory :)) so there i go and reread the story but usually i skip a few chapters here and there because i remember what's in there (my memory is not that bad as to not remember anything)

i must say that the story is long, takes quite the patience to read through the chapters, but there are tones of little tidbits of details that make the story come alive if you have an active imagination and like long and "boring" descriptions (or if you're fucking stoned or drunk) either way imagination helps; now then the basis of the story is of hp universe, an universe that i've found i'm quite tired of especially if it's leaning more tword the cannon or cliqued versions of fanfiction

the concepts of magic in this flairgold-verse is unique, i was hooked with this rutialistic magic called blood magic, i've never seen (or at least don't remember) a fanfic that had a branch of magic where the "user" had to work hard to get effects, but the effect were longlasting and could be built upon example what was it something like first level out of howmany of the stamina enhancment ritual or magic focusing ritual and magic directing ritual... it brought with this new school all the "forbidden" magics that the cannon british magical land "forbade" necromancy soul magic thread magic(kinda dont like it, don't know how to visualize it, or understand it how simple fucking tying of knots on a piece of string could make permenant effects in the worldm, but hey guess my imagination isn't fullproof) anyway the idea to have a place of land in a kindof out of phase space is like fidelius but a bit more magical more practical the whole school in the high mountains with an environment that can self sustain proves to be good and a used concept in this fic if the war in the future chapters of third part will show any use, teachers can't say anything against them just regular oc to fill the story, now namach being super old and an active vampire in the world for the whole time i'd say a scholar of magic i'd have to say he deserves a bit of super godly powers, he's had a lot of years to devote to studying and perfecting the use of magic; the vampire society using cities insted of covens is a first that i've read anywhere and it shows how the vampires can be so effective in hp world you have a lot of old creatures that are never used but here you've got a lot of species that have their own little world and it kindof moves the world of hp to a broader spectrum in the whole magical world; now then rahkesh meeting 2 vampires on in the first days of staying in canada and them beeing from a "royal" or old clan of vampires is kind of clique, but without top players in the "game" there would not be an interesting story; everybody's got an animagus form, now that is a bit to much; timetravel ok on the first read i think it's used to fill in a few powers, get the new enemies, fill in the almost year of training so that rahkesh gets the powers he needs to kill the voldemort; and when they come back from xmas break then the things really star off. fighting voldemort and DEs with moody & that black fellow while hopping across ocean, playing the spy with his secret identity of harry potter and later on between vampires back in europe and canada is kind of interesting, but gets boring real fast

the story goes on with the demons and elves and the plague and the war with intermission for all the rituals development between authorities the convention of whatereve somewhere in europe where they've got themselves a big debate club finding the solutions to the world problem
    "let's build a new world" that one came out of the blue, i was expecting something like super rare super powerful ritual that could kill all the demons or close the portals or something, but i did not see this new world concept, it was a very simple yet brilliant idea and of course it had to be rahkesh to have been the one to get the idea. the chockokoakogagpajayayaro people fuckin long name people hmm nice society everything is controlled they enjoy life train as warriors scholars doctors and i believe there has to be some builders architects to have come up with goddamn 124013252 cities around a mountain and of course they have to be removed from the world
    it just so happens that the main character traveled back in time and met the people with the to long name and that they will be the secret ace in this war jup, just had to have happened

yeah the good party of the series
    i want to know how it all ends, i want to know what kind of rituals will fallow in the 3rd story, what kind of battles will be fought, will rahkesh become an apprentice to namach or decline; i like the world that flairgold describes throughout the story, the history of the world, the magical world
    and of course the magical branches displayed in action (wards on department of mysteries, ritual chambers, mind magic chambers ...battlefield action, potions, making of ritual knives & a wand ..., necromancy at work...) yeah the story's got many good points but there are also mistakes or less desirable parts of the story

but that's enough for now
    i'm almost sober now so it's time to take the last drink and go to sleep, hopefully the next chapter will be very good and my slightly pessimistic views on the story will change to neutral and later on maybe even optimistic :)
    if you have read this far i must say ...
    yeah nothing comes to mind
    good night

12. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

..... what?

13. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I think he may have gotten too inebriated to remember how to use the shift and enter keys. Happens to a lot of people, I hear (though most have the good grace to head to Facebook).

14. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I'm offended at that remark.

I never once logged on to Facebook, thank you very much.

15. pontfirebird73

pontfirebird73 Third Year

Wow you pretty much summed up the whole series in one post. I find that I agree with you about this story. I really enjoy a long fanfic that is so out of the mainstream when compared to all the other stories on the various fanfiction sites that I have read this story so many times (skipping over the whole chochapayra time travel crap) that its practically memorized. not to mention that Flairgold has been adamant that this story will be finished so no worries of it being abandoned. To me this is one of my favorites ranking up there with Joe's Hero trilogy (and I hate Harry/Ginny fics) and a couple from Ruskbyte (even though most are considered abandoned).

16. ShadowGryffin

ShadowGryffin Squib

For me this series is one of the better ones out there. It's not to short that everything is rushed the only thing that maybe wrong is Flairgold takes to much time sometimes to get the point across. I've reread this series about 5 times in the last month and coming from a guy who reads alot of fanfics that's pretty good to keep my ADD attention span.

17. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

ADD seems to describe the typical ASCAL fan pretty neatly.

18. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So why isn't A Magical World, this trilogy's final installment, recced on DLP yet? XD

19. BlueSnowman

BlueSnowman Squib

Is she still writing cause I love this series

20. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

No, I regret to inform you that she was struck by a bus and is currently in intensive care.

Our thoughts go out to her family.