1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP A Song for Dragons by Doublehex - M - A Song of Ice and Fire

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by The Magician, Jun 13, 2018.

1. The Magician

The Magician Muggle

Title: A Song for Dragons
    Author: Doublehex
    Rating: M
    Words: 374K
    Fandom: A Song of Ice and Fire
    Pairings: Jon Snow/Daenerys Targaryen, Robb Stark/Margaery Tyrell
    Summary: The world is becoming out of joint. The cruel winds of winter are coming, but they come at a slow turn. It is the summer of plenty, of long laughs and even longer lives. But that summer is coming to a close.

The Lord of Winterfell wants a better life for his bastard - a better life than even what his son would want. So Jon Snow travels across the Narrow Sea, where tales of an empire of horselords await him. A thousand roads he could travel, but he finds himself walking only the one, the one that brings him in conflict with a vicious dragon prince who will sell his sister for the Iron Throne.

And so, begins a Song for Dragons.

Link: this link is dead for now.

E:Thanks @Blorcyn for the updated link.

So, my first post. I was looking around and I never saw this fic up for review, and I figured that it should be. Sorry if I missed it.

This is a very good read, well written, with few obvious spelling or grammar issues. It is very Jonearys centric, but the whole cast is there too.

I would say the first few chapters are the weakest, but it gets better later on. It takes a somewhat unlikely leap at the very beginning to bring Jon and Dany together, but after that it just keeps running.

It has smooth character storylines, a complex plot with lots of detail - especially as it goes to Astapor. It doesn't repeat canon; this time it is Drogo who leads an army to conquer Slaver's Bay, when Dany is his wife. Drogo is even portrayed sympathetically.

You get everyone from Aegon, Sansa, Arya, Barristan and Jory heading to Slaver's Bay for Jon.

In Westeros, there is a side plot with Robb marrying Margaery and the Lannisters getting destroyed. Stannis takes King's Landing, and Robb beats Tywin, but there's lots of difficulties on top of that.

I'm actually more interested in the Westeros plotline than I am in Dany's, but they're both pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2018
  2. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Seems like the author removed the fic from Ao3

3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Not removed, just been made private. Maybe requires an Ao3 account, but I think they're closed to admission.

4. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Nope, still can't reach it with an account.

5. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

@serpentguy @Lion, I can see you guys have rated it, do you have another way to access it?

What did you think of it? The summary doesn't inspire a huge amount of confidence in me, to be honest.

EDIT: I found an accessible link.

6. serpentguy

serpentguy Second Year

High Score:
    I was already reading it. It's alright - the story is perfectly readable and fairly enjoyable, but there's quite a few elements that rubbed me the wrong way. The shipping is very strong, and a lot of the setting isn't properly thought out. There's a very large chunk of wish fulfillment in there too - everything from Robb and Margaery miraculously marrying, the war of five kings going swimmingly, and then literally the entire world rushing to Astapor to rescue Jon's and Dany's baby.
    Oh, and there's also a large part of the plot and a good number of OCs that have been straight up copied from various TV shows, right down to the dialogue.

But still, it's fine - the fic has its good moments and it's a light read. It entertained me while reading it, anyways.

Not a clue why the author removed it from AO3, though.

7. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

This basically. I read it one night when I was super high and was too lazy to find something else.

8. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I posted this in the GoT rec thread a while back. I liked it, but I’d never seen Marco Polo and those other shows it drew extremely heavily from.

Once I saw them... well it lost a lot of its luster. It’s still a fun read, though.

9. The Magician

The Magician Muggle

I enjoyed it, anyway. Not sure what's been copied

Although the author has said that it hasn't been deleted. It got removed by the mods because he linked to a Ko-fi account on the author notes. That link has been removed, and the fic should be back on ao3 when it's approved.