1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Philly Homer, May 3, 2009.

1. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

That feel when the army of the dead Stark sigils it up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I have a question: are Dany's dragons, especially Drogon, larger or smaller than the Hungarian Horntail Harry dealt with during the first task in Goblet of Fire?

3. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

They are larger.

Dany is absolutely tiny on Drogon. His freaking head is like four times her size.

The Hungarian Horntail was large, but probably were the size of them in season 5.

4. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

Someone on youtube did calculation and drogon is the size of half of football field and aegons dragon the one we see skull getting destroyed this season is ~80% larger
    Edit:

5. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

They never stop growing though so Drogon should reach Balerion's size either by the end of the series or some time after (assuming he lives), right?

Also, here's another Game of Thrones pic.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I'm frankly disgusted by this season. Amid the morass of poor writing that literally ruined this season there were only two bright spots:
    1. The CGI - Jesus that shit was good.
    2. Sophie Turner - Yep she's hot.
    Congratulations, this is now a generic Hollywood blockbuster that every drooling shmuck can relate to.

I'm left, at the end, with one crucial question, however. Where in all fuck is Ghost? Those animals are a symbolic part of the Starks and a major element in the story and character development. Why even have the Nymeria scene if Ghost isn't even a thing?

Fuckit, the guy at Forbes said it best.

Hopefully the next season is better, but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe I can just look forward to the WoT TV adaptation.

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I both agree and disagree with this point.

I agree that the story was always heading towards this point. I agree that it's been a theme of the story that it slowly transitions from low fantasy towards high fantasy. I agree that it doesn't quite make sense to applaud the build-up to a conflict but resent the climax. It was always the case that Danaerys + 3 fully grown dragons + large army + Westerosi allies would steamroll everyone. The conflict in the Danaerys storyline was always going to be getting to that point, i.e. the preparation, rather than what happens after she actually arrives. It would be irrational to be eager for Danaerys' storyline to progress to the invasion of Westeros but to moan when that invasion happens according to the only realistic path: Danaerys' vastly superior forces smashing her opponents. And it was always the case that eventually the threat of the Others would be a unifying force that vastly reduced the complexity of the politics of the story.

However, to me this is merely vindication of the point I have been arguing for years: that the supernatural elements of Game of Thrones/ASOIAF make the story worse, not better.

The existence of the White Walkers does not make the story more interesting. The White Walkers themselves are dull: they have no social structure, no culture, no interesting characters, no personalities, no possibility of interesting character interactions. And the effect they have on the storyline is even worse: they make politics a matter of "survive or die", completely ripping out any kind of complex incentives for different factions, and they make characters duller by proximity - when you're fighting for survival against a characterless force of nature, there's very little room for any character to do anything interesting other than fight and talk about how important it is to all be friends.

Similarly, though to a lesser extent, Danaerys' storyline would have been much more interesting at this point if she had managed to build herself up into a position of power without dragons. Firstly, because for most of seasons 2-6 Danaerys' character was stagnant and boring, just in a holding pattern of protecting and fostering the potential power she had already acquired by having the dragons. Secondly because without the dragons she would have had to be far more active in politicking her way to the top. Danaerys' finest moment was when she tricked her way into having an army. Imagine if her entire storyline had been like that, along with setbacks from failed schemes. She would have had so much more meat to her storyline. And thirdly because even after arriving in Westeros with an army from Essos and maybe some Westerosi allies, her victory (without dragons to make battles extremely one-sided) would be far from a forgone conclusion and so there would be far more real threat to her position.

8. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

9. syed

syed Supermod

I just had a terrible idea. From the series, we can see dany and Jon facing the white walkers in the north. But cercei has decided to keep her men in the capital. The thing is just cant see her having a peaceful time.
    What if while his army is going after the north, the night King heads for the capital on his undead dragon? The capital has a huge population, an undead army that size in the south would be unstoppable. Since I heard of the wildfyre stores, I expected the city to burn. Now I guess it is to save the kingdom.

10. Celestin

It has just occurred to me that there was an early warning that D&D will have a trouble with being faithful to the established rules of the world and setting up necessary events without breaking them. Dorne in the season 5, which was completely rewritten by them, was that warning.

Then again, GRRM has the same problem in the books and unlike him they can't spend years trying to figure it out.

11. Celestin

Apparently HBO will film multiple ending for GoT to at least have people uncertain which one is the true one if there are once again big leaks. Assuming they're telling the truth and they really plan to waste money on something that will have no measurable effect on the viewership, it's going to be hilarious if afterwards people will say that the fake ones were much better. :)

12. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

After the leaks have been seen, there will be a poll of which end we want, and the one in last place is the one we'll get.

13. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Rip on whitewalkers kill everyone then. At this point that's the most desireable outcome.

14. syed

syed Supermod

It will Seem like the white walkers were defeated, but then we someone with glowing blue eyes in the end.

15. Celestin

HBO announced the directors of the eighth season. Miguel Sapochnik (Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards and The Winds of Winter) is back along with David Nutter (The Rains of Castamere, The Dance of Dragons and Mother’s Mercy). They will do first five episodes and rumours say it's Sapochnik that gets three of them and Nutter that gets two of them. The finale will be directed by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss (Walk of Punishment and Two Swords).

I expect a lot from Sapochnik, but Nutter is a solid choice for the last season. D&D proved themselves to be competent enough to handle the finale though I don't expect it to be anything amazing in terms of how it's directed.

16. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Glad to see Sapochnik coming back. He's one of the best directors GoT has had. His credentials with the show are most famously the big battles, so I'm assuming he'll direct the final showdown against the Night King.

17. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

So I finally gave in and made this the lone exception to my "never watch until you read the book" rule - The first book at least is so boring I can't get more than 100 pages in, so I just never paid much attention to anything about it. Man, I should have done it sooner. Somehow I avoided ever seeing anything more than the major, huge spoilers (Jon's revival, the various color weddings, etc.), and I am so glad there were so many surprises. Random observations, in no particular order:

- I hope, that if they kill Cersei off, it's the most gory and painful death we've ever seen - it should make Ramsay's look like a Sesame Street episode.

- I would put a list of people I want to live, but that seems like a bad idea.

- I have no idea why Dany is so popular, aside of the hotness. I can't stand her character as a person.

- I would like to think I'm the Hound in another life. Now I've seen this, anytime someone says "lots of people (whatever)," under my breath I always say "lots of cunts".

- Missandei is the best looking woman on the show. Fight me.

- If the walkers can't swim, how the fuck did they hook the dragon up?

Man, do I have a lot of fucking questions. Now to tackle the 110 pages of this thread, and try not to respond to shit from five years ago.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  18. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  19. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    I'll join in on this side you heretical fuck.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  20. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Ygritte? Meh. Not even in the top 3 redheads. You guys are weird.