1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Philly Homer, May 3, 2009.

1. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

2. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

3. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Epic trailer is epic :awesome

Also, I'm ashamed to ask, which character is the guy, drawing his sword in 0:27 supposed to be?

4. DvorakQ

DvorakQ Seventh Year DLP Supporter

5. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Oh, thanks. I first thought it was him but disregarded that idea because he was not blond xD

6. w1lliam

w1lliam Groundskeeper

WHAT? NOT BLONDE!

How the fuck is that going to work with the plot?

EDIT: He looks like dirty blonde but the lannisters should have worn blonde wigs for the whole shoot, like LOTR

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  7. DvorakQ

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  8. whimsical

whimsical First Year

Wow, I'm STUNNED. Did they seriously manage to get a book-based tv show correct? This actually has me seriously fucking excited for once.

Man. I haven't been this excited for something in ages. Now if only he'd fucking release the new book already.

9. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

DvorakQ: Fuck. YES! Awesome. Those one minute trailers really weren't doing it for me, but this featurette? was really friggen awesome. It showed a ton of scenes and the actors all looked really appropriate in costume.

As a long time fan of the series, I'm kind of hesitant to get attached the series though. Other adaptations of books usually suck ass, for example, the recent Tomorrow When the War Began. HBO is a good sign, as is the cast and the trailer, but will they be able to do such a complex book series justice?

ASoIaF is big, with its massive history and layered plot. It will be really difficult to translate that onto the screen. Also, with such a large cast, it takes time to care about each of the characters. ASoIaF uses POVs and a ton of time to get this effect, but the show will have to cut down hard if they want to fit in even one book into a season.

I want to like it, but it will be one tough job to make it work. Also, in the trailer, did it seem like they washed out the colour? Sometimes gritty means brown, but it is a fantasy. Put same flair in there!

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think season 1 will be a resounding success. The true test will be season 2, because

Ned, ostensibly the main character of season 1, dies.

11. coleam

coleam Death Eater

I came.

It's looking seriously awesome. Almost everyone looks exactly how I imagined them, all the places look perfect...God, just thinking about it giving me chills.

I do agree with Taure on season 2 though. That was an interesting (if somewhat understandable) choice that might be a bit difficult to overcome. Personally, I think

Rob will be the focus of season 2. When they kill him off, it'll probably switch to Sansa. The story is more centered around the Starks than any one person in particular.

12. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Very much so.

Personally, I see Jon Snow being a bigger central feature than Sansa if we get to Season 3.

13. coleam

coleam Death Eater

I picked Sansa because she's more in the middle of things than Jon, but I guess he's still a strong possibility. The only other choices though are Bran or Arya, and both of them are too far out on the fringe of actual events at this point in the story to be used as central characters

14. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

Damn it the sword 'ice' isn't black like it's supposed to be! small disgruntlement, but still with there being such emphasis in latter books of the series on Valyrian steel it would have been nice to see it.

Anyway im still gooey between the forks at the trailers and am all but frothing at the mouth for April.

15. Skeletaure

High Score:
    I don't know, to me it always seemed that Daenerys was the main character of Storm of Swords. It's where she really came into her own.

It occurs to me that Feast for Crows is going to be a lot of trouble for them, because it follows a ton of new characters and leaves behind all the good ones. Also, Dance of Dragons is going to be set chronologically parallel to Feast, even though it comes after.

So if they want to a) keep people interested via the characters they have come to love and b) keep the chronology correct, they'll have to combine Feast and Dance. That's going to be tricky - tricky enough that Martin avoided having to do it.

I also wonder if Storm of Swords is going to be split into 2 seasons, like the books were.

HBO really has committed to a massive project here. If they follow it all the way through, it could end up at over 10 seasons. This is quite unusual for HBO. Issues with Martin being old and fat (and therefore likely to die) aside, I really worry that HBO can successfully get to the end of the series.

Ah well. Season 1 will be great regardless.

16. coleam

coleam Death Eater

They could also split it into two seasons, one focusing on the main continent and the other on the lands across the narrow sea, or just have two central characters and alternate episodes.

*Edit* Whoops, just noticed that you thought of the two seasons thing already.

I suspect that they'll combine the two and do one of the two things I suggested for Storm here as well. The problem for Martin wasn't so much making the two fit together, it was length (at first) and plot problems brought about by not enough foresight (with Dance specifically). This, of course, assumes that he even gets Dance out before that season starts filming. Supposedly he's getting close and it could possibly be out next year, but I have my doubts.

17. w1lliam

w1lliam Groundskeeper

Fucking George Martin!

Sent from a Galaxy S far, far away!

18. DvorakQ

Thank god its hbo doing this. No other company would I place an ounce of hope of getting these books right.\
    Regarding the sword color, they may just cgi it, you never know. I'm really digging the casting choices though.
    Tyrion? Awesome. I was really worried about this one. (he's probably my favorite character)

19. Skeletaure

High Score:
    I keep watching the featurette over and over.

I really love the bit near the end (10:40) where Emilia Clarke (Daenerys) talks about the books. She sounds really passionate about them. Looks like they've got the casting just right with her.

20. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash