1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Song of Ice and Fire (the Books)

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Ched, May 16, 2011.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

As most of you no doubt know, there's already a thread here about the Song of Ice and Fire HBO mini-series. But I just started re-reading the books last week and I'm mostly through the third one, and I'm picking up on a lot of things I didn't the first time around. I found myself wanting to discuss them somewhat but that can't really be done in the thread for TV show without liberal use of spoiler tags.

I searched for "Ice and Fire" and "Game of Thrones" on every page of the "Books and Anime Discussion" sub-forum and nothing popped up, so unless the thread somehow managed to not include either of those then there wasn't one already.

On the off-chance someone hasn't read them yet or doesn't know what I'm talking about, here are two links to check out with information on the books themselves, which currently consist of 4 novels, a 5th to come out in July of this year, and a few more planned after that.

The first time I read these books I was doing 12 hours a day of HPLC Fraction Collection while I did so, meaning that I had to glance up from the book literally every minute or so. Apparently that means I didn't catch as much as I should have. And with all the new conversation being generated by the TV show, maybe others would want to discuss all the spoiler-ific details and theories as well. I'll start with another post.

---------- Post automerged at 02:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 AM ----------

~ SPOILERS IN THIS POST ~

So to start the discussion, let's go with Jon Snow. I have never really followed the fandom for these books, so I'm sure that this has been proposed by someone else, but it occurs to me that Jon Snow might not actually be Ned Stark's bastard. I first started thinking along these lines when I read again the part where Robert says something along the lines of how his mother must really have been some amazing whore to make Ned Stark forget his honor. Stark really doesn't seem to like that, but his displeasure at the conversation could mean anything. Given though that others think the mother was highborn, and named Dayne, and he doesn't like that either, who knows?

Next up we have him constantly remembering Lyanna forcing him to promise her something unknown before dying. Howland Reed was supposedly the only other person present when this happened, and his children know more of his history with Stark than Bran does (the story they tell him when they set off from Winterfell is obviously allegory for when the Starks met Howland Reed, something else I didn't catch the first time). Then we have all this contradictory crap about Rhaegar -- he was supposedly a pretty good guy all around if you ask anyone but the Starks and their bannermen, even if his father was a fucking lunatic asshole. So did he really steal Lyanna away, or did she agree to go? Or something else entirely? At this point I put some pieces together and formed the theory that Jon was her son with Rhaegar, but he lacks all of the Targaryen features, so who knows. But Rhaegar did apparently think he was doomed for something unpleasant according to Barristan.

Then Beric Dondarrion's squire, a boy named Ned of all things though he is really named Edric Dayne, is described by Arya as having eyes that are almost purple with pale blond hair -- not quite the traditional Targaryen description, but close. And he claims to have been Jon's milk brother. Granted he thinks that Jon's mother is someone named Wylla.

So that's my tentative theory, and I suspect it's wrong. But the clues are there at least, so perhaps another piece of the puzzle will shed some light on what's really going on there.

2. LuckyFelix

LuckyFelix Seventh Year

I could've sworn there was an ASoIaF thread in here...huh.

As for the rest...

Yes, there is a large group, from what I've seen, that thinks Jon is Rheagar and Lyanna's kids.

Part of that is because as Lyanna was dying, she made Ned promise something. For now we don't know what that promise was.

I think I need to re-read the series again though before the next book comes out. Only a couple of months away.

3. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Not to mention that a character whose entire defining character trait/tragic flaw is that he is far too honorable for his own good doesn't seem like the sort of person who would father a bastard child in the first place.

4. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Yeah, I've been thinking that Jon is her and the former princes son for a while. I think he's going to wind up being the king at the end of the series. Jon is an awesome character and I'd have no problem with that. However, that probably means that Dany is going to die a horrible and painful death so she'll never be queen . . . unless . . . Jon/Daenerys???

5. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

6. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

So, my initial plan was to just watch the TV series but after watching the latest episode I do not think I will be able to wait that much longer.

Just curious, are they going to keep one season for each book? And how many episodes in each season? Anyone got any ideas?

7. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I think the plan atm is one book per season. I don't know if there has been a confirmation on how many episodes season 2 will get, but I'm hoping at least 13 or more given the how big the books keep getting (the book coming out next month is reported to be over 1,600 pages)

I wouldn't be surprised if they split a book or three into two seasons to give Martin time to finish the series. Only problem is, Martin has gotten a bad reputation for being a slow writer. Its been about 5 or 6 years since the last book, and I don't think TV execs play that waiting game. He's going to have to write fast to keep up with the TV show now.

8. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That would be nice, but I suspect its equally possible that the series would just diverge from the books once they run out of material to work with. I suppose they could buy a few years by adapting the Dunk & Egg books, if they needed to.

9. Ched

Ah ha, I must have missed it in my searches because it says Fire and Ice instead of Ice and Fire -- or was it even better hidden than that? Thanks for finding it.

I'm not sure what they'll do when they run out of material. If we have one season a year then we are good for 4 years at present, and the 5th book is out soon, so that would give him 5 years or so to get another couple of books out. Doable, but only if he writes a bit faster than in the past.

What else? I can tolerate Dany a lot better this time around. The first time I read through I despised her character, but on a second read through she's not so bad. Still not a favorite though.

What other mysteries are out there? Apart from the Jon Snow one?

10. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

I got your back, babe.

There's very little I like about Dany, though her brother automatically earns her a few sympathy points. Quite the douche.

On the other hand, I've never agreed with the divine right of kings, or the right to rule being inheritable, so I don't really agree with someone trying to 'reclaim' the throne.

11. Ched

Right, though I wonder if perhaps there's supposed to actually be a "right" to it here. They keep saying that the magic has gone out of the world since the Dragons died, etc., and if Targaryens actually have something in their blood that ties them to Dragons, then they could make the argument.

But even then I'm not sure why that'd give them the right to rule, and if that was their reasoning and Dragons affected magic worldwide, then shouldn't they feel they had the right to rule everywhere? As a general rule though I agree with you about the right to rule.

I'm thinking Dany will save them all at some point from the Others. Once all the in-fighting is done they'll be overrun somehow and the Dragons will save the realm. Or something. We shall see.

Also perhaps a mod could merge this thread with the old one, as I didn't mean to make a second one. Or not, either way!

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  12. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

It seems obvious to me that GRRM is setting up Dany's return with her dragons to coincide with Others breaking through the Wall, and flooding into the rest of Westeros.

You know. Dragonglass and other dragon paraphernalia being so important against the frigid northern threat.

And about this thread. If we limit this thread to actual discussion about the books, I think it can stand to be set apart from the other thread.

That one's going to get a new season every YEAR, and so at that rate, it'll take 4 years for it to 'catch up' with Dancing with Dragons.

It might not be a bad idea in order to avoid spoiling for non-book readers, but IDK.

13. Ched

I'd agree with this. They're probably going to be so damn happy to see her by the time she shows up with her dragons that she won't have to worry about taking the throne so much as saving the realm.

Oh for sure, I meant combining it with the other book thread that someone found (I had missed it b/c I was searching for key phrases and the other thread has "Fire and Ice" in the title instead of the correct order).

I find myself wishing that Aemon had run into Dany before dying. Even if only for a few minutes at the very end, so he could have touched a dragon and she could have seen an older relative she didn't know about. Such a pity and could have been a great scene.

14. w1lliam

w1lliam Groundskeeper

I kept thinking this scene was coming up and waiting to see what would happen, and then he died. Was fucking depressing.

15. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  16. w1lliam

w1lliam Groundskeeper

Its been a long wait but reading about them would have put me off the series till the next book.

The major viewpoints are Tyrion, Jon and Dany. Half the book according to the blog.

Dany chapters are going to be a trial but I can't wait to see what its happening at the wall.

17. Ched

Hopefully we'll get some Bran chapters as well. A dragon has three heads and the more I think about it the more I think that either Bran or Jon will be one of them along with Dany, whatever that means. And I wonder where Tyrion's story is going to go next, when he searches for Tysha. Also curious to see how much Jon has changed since getting some experience as Lord Commander -- we see some of it in the 4th book but mostly from Sam's perspective.

And maybe Dany will be less of a trial to read in this new book, we shall see.

18. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

I've always heard about this series, never started reading it until today. The show convinced me to go pick up the first book.

Basically, my reaction was :awesome.

19. Ched

I just finished re-reading the first 4 books plus the current sample chapter of the 5th in anticipation of the book coming out in July. I think I read a Tyrion sample chapter at some point as well, though I can't seem to find it -- Martin cycles the ones he has listed I guess?

Anyway, the books struck me as a little better the second time around. Probably because I wasn't half so distracted as I was the first time I was reading them. But I still hold that they are merely very good as opposed to the "awesomely great / best thing ever" adjectives that are usually used to describe them.

The Starks I find interesting. Sansa's chapters often irk me but the others, from Eddard down to Bran, all interest me. Even Sansa started becoming a little less irksome in the last -- much like Dany I despised reading about her at first but she slowly grew from a POV character that I dreaded to see to one that was tolerable at least.

Others, like Victarian, Damphair, and other random POV characters still tended to drag the story down for me. Anytime I'm reading and I get to the next chapter and decide I need a break before I can suffer through it something is off -- at least for me, I am sure there are those who quite enjoy reading about the Ironborn, Ser Arys, Cersei, and whoever else.

All in all though I'm really looking forward to the next book. Plus I think at some point that Martin had intended to have enough time pass to age the characters by at least another 5 years or so -- that would put even Rickon at near 10, and Bran almost legally a man grown. I'm more curious about how those two turn out than most of the others. I have no idea where Arya is headed eventually in her quest and training, but her nature is fairly well established. Bran is obviously going to do something with his abilities, but we haven't seen enough of that yet to know what he might or might not be capable of, and Rickon is just an angry blank slate at present. Robb is dead, Sansa will do whatever she dragged along into, and Jon is Lord Commander of the Wall. Tyrion interests the hell out of me as well -- little bastard is fun to read about.

I can't give this series a 5/5 because there are just too many chapters that I don't want to read but I do it anyway, but all the same a 4/5 to something I enjoyed parts of as much as I did doesn't seem fair either. So screw it. I'll settle for hoping that Martin just gets the next one out a little bit faster.

Edit:
    Found the other sample chapters linked to via wikipedia somewhere. There are chapters for Jon, Tyrion, and Dany -- the Dany one ended with her finding out that apparently Drogon (her black dragon) has burned a child to a crisp for supper. Tyrion is likely on his way to meet Dany if I read that chapter right, and Jon is going to have his hands full. Good stuff, though I find myself a lot more interested in what Ser Barristan is thinking/doing than what Dany is in her chapters.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I like the "Jon is Rhaegar's son" theory. As I re-read (just finished Clash of Kings) with that theory in mind, certain stuff just jumps out at you.

All the Stark kids being wargs seems important too. Ygritte tells Jon that the man he killed was a warg and exists in his eagle after the death of his man-body.

One ending to the series might be all of the Starks dead and living on as their wolves, except for Sansa (can't remember if any of the other wolves die in Storm and Feast).

And yeah, as we're told that Dany is barren it seems to me that Jon is the only chance for a continued Targaryen dynasty. Unless he has a twin, that Edric Dayne. Him having a twin would provide a third head for the dragon. It would also be somewhat poetic: Aegon arrived with 3 dragons and two sisters, Dany arrives with 3 dragons and two nephews.

Though I'm pretty sure that at some point Dany is going to lose her dragons somehow. Just because that's the last thing I want to happen, which means GRRM will make it happen.