1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP A Wizard's Song of Ice and Fire by Dark Lord Uzumaki

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by ZeroTheDestroyer, Feb 7, 2010.

1. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Title: A Wizard's Song of Ice and Fire
    Author: Dark Lord Uzumaki
    Rating: M
    Genre: General
    DLP Category: Alternates
    Pairing: Harry Potter/Arya Stark (not sure?)
    Summary: Harry's trapped in the Middle Ages. He's alone, without his wand, and no escape. There is no Hogwarts, there are no founders, only war, and destruction. Based on the most violent book of our generation: G.R.R. Martin's "A Game of Thrones"

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5724423/1/A_Wizards_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire

Similar to Kranken's Ghost, Belleradh, and HitokoriOD, fics, this story's got one of the longest first chapters on FFN. This tale is A Song of Ice and Fire crossover. Probably the first one with Harry Potter in it. So far there isn't a hint of Hogwarts in the setting, so it's probably safe to say this is Westeros, and there is no founders anywhere near here. Not sure if this would fall under the category of time travel since this is technically the middle ages, a very warped middle ages albeit.

The story starts off in the Chamber of Secrets, where Harry has to fight off the the giant Basilisk, from there he grabs the sorting hat and manages to escape through a very interesting means. The way he gets to Westeros is unique to say the least. Most other crossovers have an unoriginal way to get to a new world, most of them rely on Harry dying, like my own, but this one takes a different approach. You'll see what I mean if you choose to read it.

There is also the way the story is setup such that that reader always knows where they are. Not many people have read A Song of Ice and Fire, and the story is designed such that you don't need to read the book. It reveals the world one piece at a time through the conversations Harry has with Jon Snow. That's the problem though, I think. Some of the characters are a bit off. Especially Tyrion. It's hard to get him right, and that is understandable.

Harry seems okay in most respects, he seems slightly more intelligent than a regular twelve year old, since his dialogue is wordy at best. There is something about being able to talk in middle age speech that's a big turn off, in this one scene. As far as I know though, it's only one scene that he does this, and it appears a bit off character, but then given the situation of that scene, perhaps not.

There isn't that much violence at the start, which is sad I think because the summary promised blood, and there isn't any. However that does make sense since the start of A Game of Thrones didn't have that much gore, not until someone throws Bran out the window, and I that is t to come. Overall, it looks like the timeline is kept in check, the main divergence would be at the end, and even that seemed somewhat forgivable, though I would have assumed there would be more torture involved for Harry.

There are spelling mistakes, but given how long chapter one is that might be understandable. Overall it isn't bad, but it feels like some of the dialogue is breaking apart, like thoughts are jumped from one part and then it goes off in a tangent, and I am still confused about the leglimancy issue.

The upside is there is no god like Harry, he seems weaker than usual, and I am not so sure about some of the magic he displays. True he can make things float, but explode? It can easily turn into super powered Harry fic, and that's not good, not good at all. It makes for an interesting read, and you can jump from one dialogue to the next, it has flow, even if some the sentences break off. The author also gives credit to everyone, or anyone he took ideas from, if you read the disclaimer, including Jbern.

2. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

The dialogue is unmitigated shit. Literally every line of it longer than a sentence is awkward - I question whether this person has spoken with people much.

I'm disappointed so much in the conventional prose.

You are a better writer than this guy, Destroyer.

2/5

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  3. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Comparing this to belleradh is criminal. The writing is terrible, stilted crap that only someone with a high pain-threshold could willingly suffer through/

1/5

4. pdo91

pdo91 Professor DLP Supporter

What they said.

1/5

5. reggin

reggin Filthy Half-Breed DLP Supporter

What in the world, I don't even

1/5

6. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

I have waited a long time for a Harry Potter/ Song of Ice and Fire Crossover. This is not quite what I wanted or expected. In fact, I haven't been this disappointed since GRRM pushed the release date for A Dance with Dragons yet again.

2/5 for effort.

Here is hoping someone finally writes a decent Harry Potter/ Song of Ice and Fire Crossover, which features Harry/Cersei or Harry/Daenerys.

Meh, it's probably too much to ask for

7. Rhapsody Belle

Rhapsody Belle Sixth Year

Couldn't even make it through the first tenth of the first chapter. Horrible, horrible writing style. Fic needs a beta/editor badly.

1/5.

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

2/5 for idea and effort. Has potential if the author gets a good beta and works hard on improving it.

The sword fight is crazy. Harry has never been trained in swordplay and the Sorting Hat thinks he can stand up to another boy his age who has been trained. And he does, and he starts using magic with the sword.

If those things are going to happen we need some background for it. For instance have Harry ask Dumbledore to let him train with the sword after the Chamber incident then spend some of the summer working on it before he pops off to Westeros.

That's just one idea -- there are others -- but it sort of comes out of nowhere and so it's hard to swallow.

The dialogue is bad. I'd say that's the worst part of the story.

The hat in general irritates me, though I suppose it's hard to argue that it's out of character since it isn't fleshed out much in canon.

The Ice and Fire characters are not OOC so much as just a little off. Working on the dialogue might fix that.

9. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

This isn't a review because I really haven't read this fic. I have however been following the responses to this on TFF.

After a disagreement between some posters who claimed that G.R. Martin has expressed that he doesn't want any fanfiction done with his stories and the author who said "Screw it, I'm writing this" the author finally stated that he was stopping progress on this fic. So odds are this will be the only chapter released.

10. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

CheddarTrek has said almost everything I wanted to say. The only way I can see things being semi-workable at this point is if the Hat has other magical knowledge besides Occlumency/Legilimency. I think that would be an acceptable premise considering it has probably sifted through many adults' brains as well as those of children. I suppose we'll know more if the author decides to continue writing. I hope they do, if only because I want to see where this is going to go. 2.5/5

11. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Um... what? He never crossed swords with the prince, nor did he use the sword to channel magic... He bluffed his way out, and it ended badly. Did you even bother to read the chapter?

The beginning is a bit awkward but it gets better.

3/5

12. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Random, the author repeated twice that that the sword did not channel magic. Once in the middle, then at the end. I don't even know how Ched could have missed that part. They spent two paragraphs arguing about it.

I am disappointed in you Ched, I expected better. (Zero shakes his head)

It does get better at the end, and I made to the end without skipping many lines since the story was mostly dialogue, which is impressive considering its over 14,000 words.

When I write I always add description because dialogue takes a long time to write and format. So I respect anyone who can keep me reading to the end.

Yeah, I am pretty sure this isn't a god-like HP fic. Can you imagine how overpowered he would be if he could summon fiendfyre? That's a pretty unfair advantage. The fact that he's learning to apparate is going to give him a huge boost in the story.

Thank you, for your input. He's in 2nd year, and Dumbledore would have let him train with a sword...

My apologies, Ched. Thank you Bella for your input. Very informative, can you make the words smaller?

Yeah...my quote was:

Similar to Kranken's Ghost, Belleradh, and HitokoriOD, fics, this story's got one of the longest first chapters on FFN.

You could have just said the story was bad and leave it at that...

I like the compliment/insult, I am still not sure what you mean by the last line. As bad as the dialogue is structured it kept me reading. It's strange at the start, but it gets better. I don't write that much dialogue in my stories so this was different.

By the way, has any one of you ever read A Song of Ice and Fire?

Because this is by far the best fic I've found in that fanfiction section. Also, Ken, can you give me the TFF link?

13. Oz

Yes, I have read it, and yes I could have just said the fic was bad. But it's worse than bad.

14. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Here is the link to the thread on TFF. Note: Registration is required.

15. cloud91

cloud91 Fourth Year

Umm is it posted anywhere else TFF wont let log on for some reason

16. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

That's because there is barely any fan fiction when it comes to A Song of Ice and Fire let alone good ones. It might be because the tub of lard known as GRRM has forbidden it or a couple of other reasons. Sadly, this fic doesn't do anything to rectify the lack of good A Song of Ice and Fire fanfics.

17. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I never said he channeled magic through the sword, I said he used magic with the sword. I.e. at the same time, and without a wand. I got the part about how the rock or whatever it was blew up before he hit it. I guess I should have clarified what I meant, so my bad on that.

Yes, I've read a Song of Ice and Fire. I don't think they're as good as most people seem to feel they are, but they certainly aren't bad.

As for my suggestion about the sword, well, I did say there were other ways you could go about it, but I stand by my statement that expecting him to be able to fight with it (faking or not) is a pretty big assumption. Maybe a beta could help make the situation more believable as it is.

It might be the best Ice and Fire fic out there, but like someone else said it probably has something to do with George R. R. Martin asking people not to write fanfiction based on his work.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  18. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I completely agree with you. I just feel like Harry won't be much of a wizard if he can't learn other general magic beyond 2nd year stuff. I certainly don't want a godlike figure, but if he can eventually learn more, I think that would be acceptable.

19. Oz

Off topic, but I just played a game of chess against myself using the characters/pieces from your sig, silverlasso. :D

20. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Thanks, Kensington.

Er, probably not.

Didn't say it did. Still, nice that someones writing it. There really isn't a big fanbase that want this crossover, and yet it was written. It's easy to follow, the dialogue is meh, it's sort of crackish, not but too crackish. I don't know, I have been told some fics suck before, and I read them and think differently.

Why Oz, just why? I don't see A Game of Thrones reference :mad:...or do I.

I am going to follow this fic, hopefully it'll update in the next month or so. I am not sure if it's a good thing if the dialogue or plot suddenly changes now. It seems to have an easy going atmosphere , and it has it's funny moments, though they come too fast, way too fast. The upside is this isn't in your face comedy like that Goblet of fire fic posted a while ago, Flaming Goblet? Flaming shit? Can't remember the title.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010