1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommendable Fanfiction - Round Four

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Oct 15, 2011.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The first three recommendable threads with almost recommendable stories can be found here:

The Original Installment

The Sequel

The Remake

Why are you posting a story here? For any possible reason... Most commonly:

1) Well-written stories with un-DLP-like ships or ideas: extreme angst/hurt, fluffy H/G, teenage romances, crybaby pansy Harry, slash, etc... Sometimes these things aren't obvious at the first glance, so the readers generaly waste a lot of time until they realize it.

2) Stories with original or unusual ideas, but not much else to keep the readers interested.

3) Stories with genres that are generally supported by this site (dark, independant, rare pairing etc...), but simply too awfully written to be taken seriously. Crapfests with good intentions.

4) Average stories, that could be used to kill an hour or two, but nothing more.

5) Stories that are too clished to be taken seriously.

So, generaly speaking, stories that aren't complete crap, but not good enough to get posted within the main fanfic categories of this forum.

Before you post a story, please make sure it isn’t already posted elsewhere in the library, i.e. search for the fanfiction.net story id. It's not that bad to repost a story that has already been mentioned in here ages ago - but if it hadn't been welcomed back then, it's rather unlikely it will be welcomed now.

Also, lets try to keep things clean and easy to follow, for your fellow citizens of planet DLP. Keep to the following format:

Title: [Example]
    Author: [Example]
    Pairing: [Someone]/[His Hand] (If applicable.)
    Rating: [NC-17] (Go away, kiddies. D: )
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2153630/1/
    Story Summary: (If provided on relevant site. If not, please provide one to the best of your ability.

[Insert your comments here. Lets try to give it more sustenance than "LOLOL SO FAIL CHECK IT OUT GUIZES! 8D"]

2. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Last post of the last thread posted by Rhys:

1. Correspondence Uninterrupted » reviews A minor change can lead to much greater ones. Harry is able to respond to his Hogwarts letter, leading him along a very different path. Year One.Harry Potter - Rated: T - English - Adventure/Friendship - Chapters: 13 - Words: 61,345 - Reviews: 86 - Updated: 10-14-11 - Published: 7-29-11 - Harry P.

A surprisingly decent Year One rehash, with a good amount of new content mixed in. This fairly serious story is a far cry from BaJaB's crack-fic Hufflepuff!Harry. Pointless bashing and many related cliches are absent, though this Harry is generally more competent than the canon version. It doesn't break any new ground, but I think it was a success for what it intended to do.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  3. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

If number 3 is the remake, what will be the name of this one once it's closed for number 5?

4. The Arid Legion

The Arid Legion Professor

The 'Oh god not another one'?

5. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

Almost Recommendable - Origins?

6. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Almost Recommendable - Ex Inferis.

7. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Almost Recommendable - "Shut the fuck up and post your shitty stories."

8. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

Harry resolves to do too many things in this fic; that is to say, the author seems to really like that term (resolve), as they use it a lot! It's rather grating.

Red
  9. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

It was decent, but I just couldn't stay interested. I'm not really sure why, just not my kettle of fish I guess.

10. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Other names for the AL Thread, part 4...I'd say Regeneration or Reloaded. Retribution perhaps? Or simply, the Return.

In other news...
    A new chapter of Death Shall Have No Dominion. It's more info of the DoM, however, not a lot of action or plot advancement methinks.
    Also, I forgot how I came by this story in the first place, possibly from here or recommended by someone in the search forum, but Hermione Granger and the Goblet of Fire too is updated.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  11. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

This one is decent. I especially liked the characterization of Moody.

12. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

What I really hated about it, though, is the use of Bulgarian and French dialogue.

It slowed down the pace, most readers would skip it anyway and won't bother checking the endnotes for translations, and since this is written in limited third person POV following Hermione's perspective, completely unnecessary.

Btw, it has its own thread ages ago, I just can't seem to find it.

13. knuckz

knuckz Seventh Year

Deprived got really good with it's latest chapter. I'd link it, but it's too much effort on a phone.

14. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

15. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I'm not sure how I feel about "Deprived." On one hand the chapters are a good length, the writing is solid, and the update rate is rather good. However, we have almost no backstory, the idea of "Hate" is idiotic, and the name "Bayard" is, for a lack of a better word, retarded. If the author can come up with a somewhat believable reason why "Bayard" is so much stronger than seasoned bounty hunters than I could give this story a 3/5, but until then I'd give it a 2/5, with a possibility to go down.

16. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ugh. I'm finding Deprived to go somewhere towards the unreadable end of the spectrum. The prose is just far too melodramatic and the action was boring, I ended up skipping most of it.

The chapter would of been far better if he hadn't sent Fleur away before he killed them all.

17. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Just finished reading Deprived's latest chapter. For some reason the Hate-Knight is visualized in my mind as this.

14-year-old super-mercenary is tolerable if explained. I'm still waiting for the explaination, so 2.5/5 for now.

18. knuckz

knuckz Seventh Year

Why complain about lack of explanation so early in the story? It's still developing, and I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't enjoy a story if they explained everything all at once. Yes, perhaps the author could have left some more hints as to how Harry got to where he is, but a story needs progression to be enjoyed, not just an information dump to satisfy our desire to know what's what.

Personally, I think the idea behind Hate is brilliant, despite the choice in name, or the way it's been written. And I have to agree with Oruma, a really dark version of that pic is what I imagine Hate would look like.

19. Alexeyy

Alexeyy Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I just finished reading Correspondence Uninterrupted. First year is almost complete, I think just one chapter is needed to wrap things up. I think this fiction deserves something between 4 and 5.

This is a serious attempt to rewrite Harry Potter series with a competent, not Idiot!Harry or Ignorant!Harry.

It is written in a hurried pace; one year in 13-14 chapters. The sentences are short and flow into each other abruptly, for example:

Mainly, that's why I wouldn't rate is as a full 5/5.

The language is all-right, but not extraordinary: many times I could see ways to improve the wording.

There are few punctuation errors/problems, like in this passage, for example:

I don't remember noticing any spelling errors, so cannot judge, but assume they are rare.

Sometimes there are inconsistences with canon, for example, Ollivander called Voldemort "You-Know-Who" instead of "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named".

Overall, I enjoyed reading the story. It's not a complete re-hash. Harry will not become smart and magically adept overnight, there are small changes leading to it. More groundwork is laid out to, I suspect, come to play much later in the story. Cannot really go into details without revealing too much, just give it a shot!

20. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Come on! Fuck that. I'm gonna spoil the whole thing for everyone. Harry saves the Sorcerer's Stone! Or Kills the Snake or whatever. (or some variation thereof i.e. Harry and Daphne, Harry and Hermione and Ron, Harry and half-vampire! half-fem and half-warrior elf and half-Veela!Draco.)

It that how it ended?

I couldn't get past the first chapter, not because it was written poorly. It was just dull and lifeless. Well, I guess that could be a person's definition of 'written poorly'. Let me rephrase. "Almost a 5/5? That scoring system you are using -- I do not think it means what you think it means."

5/5 means - This story is so fucking good that you have to drop what you are doing and read it! Errors are virtually non-existent, and I was so thoroughly entertained that I'm thinking about masturb... um, recommending it over at DLP place.

4/4 means - It was very entertaining and kept my attention. There were a couple of places the author fucked up and maybe left a dangling plot hole or a couple of scenes sucked balls, but overall it was worth the time to read.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
Not open for further replies.