1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommendable Volume the Third

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Antivash, Aug 11, 2010.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Volume the First
    Volume the Second

Why are you posting a story here? For any possible reason... Most commonly:

1) Well-written stories with un-DLP-like ships or ideas: extreme angst/hurt, fluffy H/G, teenage romances, crybaby pansy Harry, slash, etc... Sometimes these things aren't obvious at the first glance, so the readers generaly waste a lot of time until they realize it.

2) Stories with original or unusual ideas, but not much else to keep the readers interested.

3) Stories with genres that are generally supported by this site (dark, independant, rare pairing etc...), but simply too awfully written to be taken seriously. Crapfests with good intentions.

4) Average stories, that could be used to kill an hour or two, but nothing more.

5) Stories that are too clished to be taken seriously.

So, generaly speaking, stories that aren't complete crap, but not good enough to get posted within the main fanfic categories of this forum.

Also, lets try to keep things clean and easy to follow, for your fellow citizens of planet DLP. Keep to the following format:

Title: [Example]
    Author: [Example]
    Pairing: [Someone]/[His Hand] (If applicable.)
    Rating: [NC-17] (Go away, kiddies. D: )
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2153630/1/
    Story Summary: (If provided on relevant site. If not, please provide one to the best of your ability.

[Insert your comments here. Lets try to give it more sustenance that "LOLOL SO FAIL CHECK IT OUT GUIZES! 8D"]

Last Post of Previous Thread:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Might want to throw some noparse tags around '[noparse]D:)[/noparse]'. ;)

3. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Ill post the first one I guess. It is from 2007, but its not in the library, recycling bin, or this http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=14917 unless i missed it of course

Title: Blood Bound: A Vampire Story
    Author: Dementor149
    Pairing: Harry/Hermione
    Genre: Horror/angst
    Rating: T
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3705709/1/Blood_Bound_A_Vampire_Story
    My summary: Harry gets bitten by a vampire. Ministry just thinks Harry has been murdered by DE's, and are troubled when they eventually find that he has turned. Harry struggles to keep his humanity. diverges after HBP.

One of the only vampire!harry fics out there that is not 100% fail. 3/5 at least from me, 4/5 when compared to other vampire!harry stories. And it is complete! That is a rarity. The story has some elements that you would expect from a vampire fic. They are shunned by society for the most part of course, even to the point of having a (cliche?) vampire hunter come after them.

I think this story falls perfectly under Vash's guidelines, but personally I think it could be library or rec bin material.

4. Xenks

Xenks Second Year DLP Supporter

Goddamn, I read this forever ago. It was OK then, but way too angsty. Looking over it now, it's still way too angsty. I mean, come the fuck on. So you're undead. You're also goddamned fucking immortal. On the other hand, this is still one of the better vampire!Harry stories.
    3/5 from me. Grammatically correct and the vampires don't fucking sparkle. If it was any other genre, it'd be a 2. Not library quality IMO.

5. This Guy

This Guy Squib

Title: The Other Boy Who Lived
    Author: Kwan Li
    Rating: M
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4985330/1/The_Other_Boy_Who_Lived
    Story Summary: AU. On that night, Neville Longbottom was the child that You-Kno-Who marked as his equal. Surprisingly, Longbottom lived through He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named's Killing curse. Fourteen years later, the Boy-Who-Lived and Harry confront their destinies.

My apologies if this has been posted before. I thought it was an enjoyable read, but not library-quality. It's rather nice that the author seems to update every day with a few thousand words, too.

6. Anme

Anme Professor

Your link brings me to a different story. Somehow.
    Here.

7. This Guy

This Guy Squib

Ugh, my mistake. I just copy and pasted the format from the first post, sorry.

8. Anme

Anme Professor

So I started reading this and I was completely surprised by the revelations in chapter 7.

Only a pity so far that Harry is such a wuss.

9. Hoshiakari

Hoshiakari Second Year

Title: Prodigium
    Author:Shivani
    Pairing:No pairing for Harry (according to author but he/she has many slash stories)
    Link:http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6180304/1/
    Summary:There's a reason why Harry survived that night, and it wasn't due to Lily's love. What saves Harry becomes inextricably entwined with him, and greatly influences how the story unfolds and the person Harry becomes.

Story seems well-written, it has some interesting ideas and plot twists but it looks like Harry is not only super but godlike and OOC (he pwns DD and LV in first three chapters).

10. Anme

Anme Professor

"The other boy who lived" is enjoyable. Maybe not quite library material but close.

Edit:
    Although I can't understand the role of Father!Harry for now. He does nothing at all.

Edit2: I thought I had already read the first few chapters:
    DLP Recyling bin: Other boy who lived.

11. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

12. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

In my opinion this story has just crossed into the "unreadable" area of fan fiction. The romance is just to much, it's taking hold of the story and has forced a lot of good ideas (Dumbledore's characterization, Harry being mentored by Ludo) and makes them take a backseat to all the angst and romance as well as an overplayed 5th year thesis type project. However, the worst part about this story is the characterization of Ginny. While Harry may be in love at 15, the characterization of Susan may lack any depth or originality, and Neville has lived up to many stereotypes, but it is Ginny that truly bothers me; the author has wrote her to be the typical "strong female who is smart, attractive, and funny," while that alone may be annoying, it's even more so b/c the author wrote Susan the exact same way, there is little variation between those two characters.

13. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Title: Welcomed Chaos
    Author: Wand Control
    Pairings: TBA
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5481083/1/Welcomed_Chaos
    Summary: Young Auror, Harry Potter was convinced the world was out to make the rest of his life dull; until a Demon called Whistler came into his life to give him the chaos he'd been only dreaming of.

One of the better takes on the BTVS/HP crossover genre I've seen in a while. Rather solid writing and Harry doesn't seem to have the ability to solve everything wrong with the Buffy-verse.

Main problem is the update speed, the author recently put out a chapter after a ten month hiatus.

Not enough epic-ness yet to warrant a Library post, but might entertain fans of the genre.

14. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Title: Are You Sure This Was a Good Idea?
    Author: DireSquirrel
    Fandom: Harry Potter/Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Genre: Humor
    Rating: FR15
    Link: http://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-22930/DireSquirrel+Are+you+sure+this+was+a+good+idea.htm

The first new H/Hr pairing story I've liked in a while. It's a slightly cracky-fic where Harry and Hermione learn that magic doesn't recognize sarcasm when they pledge to marry one another and take over the world.

It should be noted that this is also a BtVS xover, with Xander and Dawn as Hermione's parents. I especially like how Hermione is scared that her pledge to subjugate the planet to her will qualifies her as a "Big Bad" and will result in Aunt Buffy executing her.

The author has stated that the entire story has been written and that he is just editing while publishing - and considering that he's posted four chapters in two days I'm liking the update rate.

15. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

I just read the first chapter and a half. It seems like a nice way to kill some time. The authors seems to get that the premise is ridiculous and treats it as such, while still having fun with the idea.

Edit:

LOL, completely over the top and ridiculous but vaguely amusing and entertaining.

16. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

If you treat this story as a crack fic it deserves to be in the library. For the simple fact that it is funny.

17. Agravaine

Agravaine Seventh Year

Title: Harry Potter and the Hogwarts Rift
    Author: Illyich
    Pairing: Harry/Luna
    Rating: 15+
    Link: http://www.harrypotterfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?psid=116462Story Summary: Harry Potter's 6th year features a strange circular romance; the arrival of Viktor Krum at Hogwarts, who is repeating his 7th year, and a growing rift in the student body that can no longer be ignored.

An old story from 2005, but I feel that it's possibly library-worthy.

Pros:
    - One of the best-written Lunas I've ever seen. No obnoxious Ha-Ha-I'm-Not-Actually-Loony-It's-All-Been-An-Act garbage.
    - Masterful, if unresolved, inversion of Harry/Snape friendship.
    - Interesting interaction between Harry and Trelawney, although perhaps at times a bit contrived.
    - Excellent Dumbledore.
    - Realistic teenage relationships. Teenagers who act like teenagers.
    - Well-executed atmosphere that feels as dangerous as it's supposed to feel.
    - Emotionally charged with fleshed out supporting characters. There are a couple of moments that feel like giant fucking punches to the face. I haven't cared so much about what happened to characters in a piece of fanfiction in a long time.

Possible Cons:
    - The author dances around even the most minor obscenities. Not a huge deal, but kind of annoying.
    - One or two underdeveloped OCs.
    - Angst, but it's well-done.

There are two sequels that look like they might be AU wankfests with ten billion OCs (haven't read them), but The Hogwarts Rift is reasonably self-contained.

The author is also fantastically more coherent than his summaries and chapter notes suggest.

18. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Current list of everything in all three threads.[/URL] Please check these before you post something new.

Please also note: These are only links that are still alive. Any story that was recommended and has vanished from its link was not listed.

19. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Looks like a lot of work went into that. Nice job.

20. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

Word. Nice job Vash.

Title: The Beginning of the End
    Author: Mreeb
    Pairing: None
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6228632/1/The_Beginning_of_the_End
    Story Summary: PS/SS AE. Dumbledore does not return from the Ministry to Hogwarts in time to stop Voldemort from acquiring the Philosopher's Stone. A one-shot story.

A nice little gem of a story where Voldemort gets a body at the end of PS/SS. Would have been library worthy if it were longer.

Not open for further replies.