1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommendable Worm Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by NoxedSalvation, Nov 12, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

Darth Marrs' stories are just plain frustrating to me. They leave a bad aftertaste, every damn time.

One problem with him is that his scenes are most likely just a stage temporarily created so he could move his sock puppets through it. Everything feels forced and plot driven.

The guy is extremely productive and has a big imagination but always sabotages himself unnecessary. He could and should be better which makes them annoying.

I stopped reading him which makes me less cranky. But occasionally I produce such an outburst when I see his name pop up.

:)

2. ibskib

ibskib Second Year

I stopped reading his stuff for pretty much the same reason, he has some entertaining ideas, but his general execution and insistence on pointless grimderpness just makes me sad.
    Someone commented in this thread a while ago about how Ack forces the characters to fit the plot rather than shaping the plot around the characters.
    I thought that was well put and it certainly describes Marrs also.
    A common amateur mistake that's less obvious than stuff like insufficient proofreading, or telling instead of showing, but just as damning for a narrative.

3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I just finished this after stalling out for a bit. There are some parts that I'm really not into, and then there are some parts I am. This story is like atypical of what SB produces as a whole. Needless escalation for escalation's sense. The whole Skitter being told to kill Legend, the whole Contessa bit. The way that the PRT treats Harry as a threat, violates the endbringer truce and incarcerates him.

The Coil set them all up arc and how he's basically on the run atm, and no one can catch him felt really forced. Usually I don't comment on things like that too much, but it pretty much went from Coil exposed us. Thomas Calvert threw me under the bus, threw all of us. The character deaths to sell the cause, Shadow Stalkers as an agent of Coil. The fact that the protectorate doesn't believe Harry, but then they do, but uses their belief of him as a means to get him into the wards.

Its like the most ham fisted attempt I've ever read, and that's saying something.

Lets not even mention the HP crossover elements from his other fics.
    They're at the levithan arc. I feel like he will either abandon this or he'll lose interest soon. Levithan arc is the death of most Worm ff that is like this. Similar to how the Wave arc is for Naruto.

4. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Simurgh's Son actually has decent (maybe even good) prose, but it's plot and ideas are just absolute garbage.

The whole Traveler Arc was so painfully forced to read.

Also for anyone who cares, Archive Updated to here.

5. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Just wanted to throw this out there as a reminder. Other Fandom Almost Rec can be posted in. I updated the Other Fandoms needs you post to include that as well.

So just like the HP review is, you can now post directly there. I'd like for you to try and do that instead of posting here. That doesn't mean that you have to stop outright discussing, but if you can take the time to make a post here, you can take the time to create a new thread in Other Fandom Almost Rec.

<3

6. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Locked. Post in Other Fandom Almost Rec.

Not open for further replies.