1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommendable Worm Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by NoxedSalvation, Nov 12, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    I wouldn't want to live on the coast anymore if there was a Sea Monster roaming the earth.

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

This is canon

3. South of Hell

South of Hell Third Year

I recall it being canon although don't quote me because I can't remember where it was stated.

Edit; I can't read, I thought the above post was "Is this canon?"

4. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

On Alteran Alternatives: it was a fun read but it has its problems, not the least of which the fact that Asurans are even more technobabble bullshit than Worm Tinkertech, that ancients are complete dicks, and that the whole thing is a little bit infected with posthumanism wankery (this last bit may just be me remembering the comment thread, I haven't read that story in a while).

I'm still waiting for an "honest" Worm/SG1 cross where Taylor and/or some other assortment of Parahumans ends up at the SGC and just has fun adventures. I wouldn't mind reading a Buffy (might be a little stompy but whatever) or HP cross in that style either.

And on the HP cross, I think I said this somewhere before but I desperately want to read a crack!fic where Skitter ends up teaching DADA somehow.

5. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Nah, Care of Magical Creatures. Give her a couple blast-ended skrewts, an acromantula or two, and I'd say she'd have a pretty effective swarm.

6. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    I'm sure Skitter and Hagrid would get along well.

7. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I devoured the SpaceBattles fic archive, and here’s some decent ones:

Unintended Consequences: an OC celebrates his birthday in the Birdcage. Oneshot.

Finder: Taylor looks for someone important. Oneshot.

To Spite Her Face: Emma regrets. Oneshot.

The Last Argument of Capes: semi-AU. Danny’s a retired super villain. Oneshot?

Second Gen: Taylor is a second-generation cape who triggers with the power of hydrokinesis. Series, five chapters so far.

8. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Someone mentioned this story a few pages back, but She Who Skitters in Shadows has started updating again after a couple months of silence. Two new chapters in the last week. It's one of the best Exalted crossovers IMO, written by the same author as "Second Gen", and also one of the longest Worm fics on SB.

9. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Words cannot express how bad this story is. In fact, it's so bad that Wildbow payed homage to it when he mentioned an abandoned Subway in one of the Cockroach chapters.

Because having a Subway franchise on the Protectorate oil rig base (where the Wards do not ever go) is literally the dumbest thing anyone has written into Worm fanfiction.

10. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

In fairness he only wrote that in to annoy Zombie--I don't know if Wildbow has actually read it himself. :p

New fic I noticed on FFN.

A Tale of Transmigration, by CrashLegacy.

For Taylor Herbert, death was just the beginning. Reincarnated into an alternate earth version of herself she awakens to find herself trapped in a very familiar locker. Spoilers abound; sorry.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9913385/1/A-Tale-of-Transmigration

One chapter in so far, 12,000 words. Writing's a little bit unpolished, but I'm enjoying it so far.

11. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  12. Rubicon

I was just glad it wasn't Fugly Bob's again.

It has some weird and questionable ideas (some of them because Exalted) as well as some fan-wanky moments (Tattletale the first time she meets Taylor, for instance), but I like it. The writing is solid, Taylor's power set is interesting and not too OP so far, and it's an interesting take on Regent, Bonesaw, and Armsmaster.

13. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Kekeke. I read on my phone, and it apparently fixed the formatting.

yak
  14. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

And Zombie only read it because I told him about how bad it was. And no, Wildbow has not read it.

15. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

same. It's definitely worth reading. The chapter was written in three days and the author seems enthusiastic which makes me quietly optimistic about future chapters.

16. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

/me head explodes

I am just obliterated.

17. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I liked that story. Taylor did seem a little bland though.

18. Rubicon

The AU is interesting. I like the new characters. My main problem is that Taylor seems really OOC for a story taking place after the end of Worm. I have trouble believing she'd spend more than thirty seconds thinking about Emma and Sophia. Or that she'd tell the first Ward she meets all the strengths and weaknesses of her power.

19. bakkasama

bakkasama Seventh Year

I don't know how I feel about the OC. Like, he has a very sweet deal going on for him. Bunch of powers (strong ones at that), well off parents, very casual, charities, insists on paying rent, good relationship with parents, first contact with Skitter, her being open with him, respected by community... Okay, save for the Skitter part he is pretty much like triumph but the way it is explained its like the author is saying "take this character. Love him!" with a lot of explanation to make him look good.

Taylor also feels weird. Casual in how she tells Vigilant of his powers, it feels like she knew she was going to the past and had a plan already but she tells us that she didn't. I expected a little more reaction to the realization that there is no Scion and she wouldn't need to save the world. Or more wondering about those left behind.

I have to admit though that it is a good first attempt at writing in first person. A few things feel off but it should be solved if the author continues with it.

20. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I'll give it a shot once they fix the formatting. Good god it hurts

Not open for further replies.