1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended fanfiction - From barely readable to almost good

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ip82, Jan 14, 2006.

Not open for further replies.
  1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

There are many fics that I start reading and realize after a chapter or two that they're crap - not uter crap, like those in "Awesomly bad fanfic thread", but not good enough to keep reading.

These stories fall into several categories:

1) Well-written stories with un-DLP-like ships or ideas: extreme angst/hurt, fluffy H/G, teenage romances, crybaby pansy Harry, slash, etc... Sometimes these things aren't obvious at the first glance, so the readers generaly waste a lot of time until they realize it.

2) Stories with original or unusual ideas, but not much else to keep the readers interested.

3) Stories with genres that are generally supported by this site (dark, independant, rare pairing etc...), but simply too awfully written to be taken seriously. Crapfests with good intentions.

4) Average stories, that could be used to kill an hour or two, but nothing more.

5) Stories that are too clished to be taken seriously.

So, generaly speaking, stories that aren't complete crap, but not good enough to get posted within the main fanfic categories of this forum.

That's why you should post them here and warn your fellow DLP-ers not to waste their time trying to read them (or to at least tell them what they're getting themselves into). Something like this could spare a lot of people hours of browsing through useless crap until they recognize it for what it is.

Posting rules: The same as when posting into general categories. Always write at least:

Title: [name]
    Author: [name]
    Link: [http://...]

Add others if you feel like it, or if they are important for the post. Below this, write a line or two why the story should be avoided or read at one's own risk.

2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title:Harry Potter and the Known Story
    Author: Taint of Taia
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2153630/1/

This adds an interesting twist to that stories where Rowling's HP books suddenly appear inside the HP world. Instead of Maraurders, the books appear inside the 6 year old Harry's cupboard...

The beggining is interesting. More Independant and smart Harry escapes from the Dursleys when he's 8. He fends for himself, spending part of his days in a library and the other part practising wandless magic.

But from here it goes down the hill. Poor little Heway starts stalking after the Weasleys and dreaming about becoming friends with fucking Ronnikiens. I can already see this turning into another friends-for-ever moralistic crapfest. Not to mention that it's being updated very slowly.

3. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Rofl. Too bad... it sounded better than those normal 'HP Books Appear From No Where' stories.

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: Twists of Fate
    Author: Lanindur Du'Undarian
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2737363/1/

When Voldemort goes after the Potters, he brings a few Vampires with him. One of them turns Harry before he's killed. Lily & James (they survive the attack) decide to kill Harry rather than have a Vampire around, but Remus shows up and takes Harry as his own son. 15 years later, Remus accepts teaching position at Hogwarts and takes Harry with him...

So a very interesting plot, with high predispositions of producing a fine story, right? Well...

The start is pretty bad. Fight with Vampires is described without any sense of action dynamics or story's flow - it all looks like one of those turn-based strategy games, where everyone waits their own turn to act...

Next 2 chapters are rather good - Harry is smart, sarcastic and powerful. His interaction with Remus is good enough. It seemed like Harry's stay at Hogwarts will be an interesting one, what with Lily teaching Charms and people likely to discriminate against him.

But then came the sorting:

1) Harry asks the Hat to put him in fucking Gryffindor - the home of biased and arrogant...

2) He starts flirting with Dean & Seamus (not sure if slash references were a joke, but still...)

3) HE IS INSTANTLY SMITTEN BY FUCKING WHITE TRASH LIL WEASLEY TRUMPHET!

Thus, our charming and unflappable Vampire sex god starts stumbling and stuttering at the mere sight of the little trollop... I stopped reading after this, but I bet there was the whole reversed butter dish scene latter in the story... YUCK!

And this one had such a potential...

5. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I actually like this story. It was fucking hilarious with him scaring all the first years. And him scaring Ron. And unnerving Malfoy. I can stand H/G, so it doesn't matter that much to me.

6. DarkPhoenix2500

DarkPhoenix2500 Second Year

The first story mentioned...was just odd o_O i skimmed through it but i didnt like it that much >_> The second one was great regardless of the h/g (he mentioned it will be minor so im not too worried) The whole scene with Ryan and the First Year that kept on running into the wall was great ^_^

7. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Haha, exactly. Especially when he made the kid run into the wall 2 or 3 times in one go. Hilarious.

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

How can you stand this H/G? It sounds so corny... maybe if it was well written... like really well written but ug...

9. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

As long as it's minor, I'm fine with it. But the story is too good to just forget about because of the H/G part.

10. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    Yeah, but scene is pretty f-ing corny, though.

11. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Minor!!?? To me it seemed like some love on first sight kinda thing. Not to mention that he made the slut seem kinda cool, aloof chick instead of little homely girl...

12. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

She's said like 1 sentence in 4 chapters. I think that's minor enough for me. And other than that "she's so beautiful" moment when he first saw her, he's had no more interaction with her.

13. DarkPhoenix2500

As long as there are more moments with that first year >_> im sastified, i am interested to see the conversation in the next chapter with lily and ryan @_@ hell im interested too see what happens with the potter and lupins...

14. DaytonDeusBlack

DaytonDeusBlack Seventh Year

Twists of Fate is..ok i guess but Known story sucks. I just couldn't readi it...yuk!

15. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: Harry Potter and the Black Rose
    Author: genogoth
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2586115/1/

Another "Harry is not BWL" story, mixed with Harry as a super bad ass elemental brat.

Lily and James are standard abusive jerks. Harry escapes at 8, meet a guy named Gavin, learns a lot of poorly explained martial arts and super powers and meets a dozen or so other kids like him (all with "cool" super names). Voldemort is back when Harry is 14, so they all teleport to Hogwarts and start badmouthing easily irritated Dumbledore. Let the mindless bashing begin!

Mind you, this is all described in the first several thousands words.

Seriously, this crap is so rushed and poorly written, that even some redeeming qualities (like super!Harry) weren't enough for me to read it pass the 4th or 5th chapter.

16. DarkPhoenix2500

...That last HP story...was just wrong....way too many OC's for my liking and i think @_@ luna was actually....normal...@_@

17. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

"A few people aren't fond of the Ryan/Ginny pairing either, but you'll be happy to know that isnt going to be the central point of the story, not in the slightest. So if you bare a slight bit of Ryan/Ginny in the odd place, you might be able to stomach this"-Author of Twist of Fate

18. Syn

Syn Fourth Year

i'm a big fan of Twist of Fate...and i loathe ginny.

in fact, i think it should get it's own post.

19. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Hey guys, about Twist of Fate...

Like I said, I liked the story, except for the initial action scene and the way Harry had immedietely fallen for Ginny.

I'm usually not a pairing bitch and can read good H/G, if the romance is done good, but that whole "smitten on first sight" shit seemed too much like those fluffy soulmate romances all the fangirls are writing/reading.

Slowly gettting to know each other, dating, having a normal teenage relationship - that I could handle. Love on first sight, fluff and soulmates shit - that's just too much like fangirl masturbation material and I generaly close window as soon as I see it.

I might have been wrong here, as you pointed out, but if you like this story so much, maybe you should move your arse and post it? That's what the main categories are for.

20. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Co-sign, I agree, I just wanted to let you know the author said the relationship won't be that serious.

Not open for further replies.