1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended fanfiction - From barely readable to almost good

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ip82, Jan 14, 2006.

Not open for further replies.
  1. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

I actually really, really liked it. Like, a lot.

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Read it and will definitely follow it. It even looks as if there's a plot behind the story >_> (well, to be fair, I liked Measure for Measure, but this could be even better).

What I just read:

Goblet of Mist » by Poorfox reviews
    An AU set in Harry's fourth year at Hogwarts, with a darker overtone and some serious changes. All that glitters is not gold - and the golden boy of Hogwarts is no longer a naive little boy. His view of the world is growing darker, just like his power.
    Rated: T - English - General - Chapters: 2 - Words: 10,371 - Reviews: 11 - Updated: 8-10-09 - Published: 8-4-09 - Harry P. & Fleur D.

The most promising start to a Harry/Fleur story I've seen in ages. In fact, for me, the most promising start in a while period. While a few ideas (Patronus + effect of the Veela) might perhaps leave some feeling dubious, they come at the very least with a fresh explanation and an original take-on; you can't fault him that. That kind of creativity leaves me with rather high hopes that this isn't going to be a simple 4th-Year-rehash. After such a strong start, I hope the author keeps this level.

Edit: o_O

No clue how that happened. Thanks, Bio.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  3. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

4. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

Goblet of mist seems like a really good story. My only complaint is that Harry is portrayed as being very bad in school. In canon he got EE in Transfiguration, here he is warned that he may not get an Acceptable.

Anyway, promise of Flarry is enough to redeem the worst of stories so I'm definitely subscribing to this!

5. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Nice find, Sesc. 'Goblet of Mist' looks really good so far. I don't think I've ever seen a 'demonic patronus' before, but it makes an odd sort of sense.

6. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I don't think this is entirely valid. He did manage to get an EE in Canon, but that was the OWLs -- which are two years off at this point. There's nothing saying how good or how bad he was until then. Here, McGonagall said that if he continues the way he's been doing, he might not get an A: for all we know, that could be true, and he simply shaped up in Canon during GoF and OotP.

Besides, it's an obvious set-up for getting Harry to spend time around Fleur :p

Regarding the Patronus -- I haven't either, but it's like the opposite of the failtastic-clichéd Golden Patronus. As it seems, no one thought about negating it until now.

7. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

Yeah, but to me is just seems like a convenient plot device to put Harry with the Frenchies. Not a major bother, but always something:)

Dunno about the patronus, I didn't think of it that much while reading and i guess i can stand it. Since that it the only advanced spell Harry knows though it was good to use it there instead of the author inventing a spell that Harry learned somewhere during the summer etc.

8. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I actually thought it would of been pretty cliche. I've always thought about modifiying the patronus spell like that. huh, guess others didn't.

9. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Ditto. :/ And whatnot and so forth.

10. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

What If? … An Alternative to Order Of The Phoenix by Chem prof
    Summary: What if Harry had reacted more strongly to the Ministry’s threat to expel him and snap his wand? What if he had fled the country rather than submit to the trial?

This is a sequel to a Yule-Ball fic, but there's no need to read that one to understand this. Another take on Harry leaving Britain, and the deck of cards that is canon exploding as a result. Some good ideas here, neutral shippers like me and H/Hr fans might enjoy this. But there's nothing here that could make the pairing grow on you, and all those stories about foreign wizards being a lot less backward than Britain have made the concept very tiring.

Of Quidditch and Dungeons and Dragons by Velvet Mouse
    Summary: What if Hermione wasn't the only one to believe Harry when he said he didn't enter his name into the Goblet? What if some of the members of Ravenclaw applied their intellect and actually thought about the situation?
    A Harry/Lisa one-shot that doesn't have enough content for the Library, but what little it has is rather good IMHO.

This is the story of another Harry Potter by outofcharacter
    Despite what the title, summary and first chapter may indicate, a fairly decent story. The best Smart!Harry PS AU I've found in months, which doesn't mean much unfortunately. Can go either way at the moment, but I'm allowing myself to hope for the best.

11. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

Faint of Heart AU OotP. When the opportunity arises, a former conspirator will unknow --screw it. Another dimension travel story. HP/fem!HPHarry Potter - Rated: M - English - Drama/Supernatural - Chapters: 4 - Words: 15,371 - Reviews: 47 - Updated: 8-29-09 - Published: 7-2-09 - Harry P. & Sirius B.

A new Harry/Fem!Harry story. Where Harry ends up in a parallel reality by accident (or not so accident) The fem!harry isn't introduced yet but it's only the first 4 chapters and they're still pretty good. Could probably be library worthy later but for now I thought I'd post it here.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  12. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Friendly advice: Check if stories have been posted on this thread before. I didn't even have to go to a previous page to see it in RustyRed's message, which makes this miscalculation pretty interesting.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  13. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

I did look through a couple of pages but as you can see I'm a blind dumbass homo who needs to get bitch slapped. :eek:

14. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Wow. Self-deprecate much?

15. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Gah, Faint of Heart is by the author of Measure by Measure. Expectations dwindling.

On the other hand, Of Quidditch and Dungeons and Dragons by Velvet Mouth was an unexpected pleasure to read. Grammatically awesome it did a great job of introducing the concept of a Quidditch Fantasy League. I'd say it's actually library worthy.

16. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

Memories of a Father » Following Fourth year Harry receives a gift from his father that allows him to take control of his life and learn just who he is.

Heart of a Lion Head of a Snake » Harry Potter isn't an average wizard despite what people may think and when his godfather is freed after his third year it's time for Hogwarts to meet the true Harry Potter.

The stories are abandoned as the author is no more. But what is there is fairly good enough. The writing is good and the action scenes are nicely written.

Though it seems that the author was heavily inspired by Jbern's fics.

17. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

No offense Johnny, buy there are so many things wrong with Heart of a Lion Head of a Snake its not even funny.
    That's not even mentioning manipulative Dumbledore, Animagus potion and Super!Harry among other things.

Memories of a Father doesn't seem too promising either.

18. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Relevant text bolded.

19. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

Relevant text... quoted. :rolleyes:

20. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Chosen Tricksters » reviews Author: Chilord
    Very AU In their time, the Marauders went a bit further in their bid to be the best pranksters they could, invoking the power of myths and legends before their brotherhood was betrayed.Harry Potter - Rated: T - English - Humor/Fantasy - Chapters: 4 - Words: 36,352 - Reviews: 43 - Updated: 8-30-09 - Published: 2-6-09

Extremely silly yet enjoyable reading. In this story the Marauders are avatars of Gods, although this story so far primarily focuses on Sirius running around and acting silly. Features one of the better plot devices to nudge Harry and Tonks into a relationship - if that happens at all.

Even better, his fragmented ideas contain some very funny plot bunnies, although it is interspersed with Naruto and BtVS fragments.

Not open for further replies.