1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended V: V is not for Vendetta

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Antivash, Sep 14, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Almost Recommended V
    Harry Potter: I | II | III | IV | V | Submission Archives
    Other Fandom: I | Submission Archives

New Thread with a hidden, secret agenda ... Well, not really secret. I'm making it to grab attention. And here is the reason for that:

I've been working bits and pages here and there to update the almost recommended list thread. Still a few pages to trudge through for v3, though. I happened to run across two posts, I feel the need to comment on.

First and foremost, thank you for your assistance in regards to links, Oruma.

Let me make one thing perfectly clear to you (And anyone else who thinks they get the right to say shit like this), however. If it was not readily apparent that the list is meant for an archive of what has been posted, allow me to inform you of that:

Its an archive. Not a recommendation. Keep your fucking opinion to yourself. I give exactly 0 fucks why you said it, why you think, or any trivial justifications. The only thing I want to know about are dead links and links that go to incorrect stories.

I'd offer an apology, considering it was so long ago, but considering the last two weeks I've had, but I really dont give a damn if it offends you or not, at this point.

Last Post of Previous Thread:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  2. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

[​IMG]
    Steve And The Barkeep
    Author: Runaway Deviant
    Pairing: None to speak of
    Rating: M (but not for any reason I can fathom- it's T at most for crass humor)
    Summary: Steve has a routine, and god help him if he's going to break that routine for anyone - yes, that includes you, Tony. Enter a local barkeeper with a penchant for the occult and the gift of good conversation. EWE, not slash, just a couple of guys and a few hundred drinks. Rated for fear of the thought police.
    Rated: Fiction M - English - Friendship/Supernatural - Harry P. & Captain America/Steve R. - Chapters: 12 - Words: 34,439 - Reviews: 395 - Favs: 968 - Follows: 1,210 - Updated: 09-03-12 - Published: 08-09-12 - Status: Complete - id: 8410168

It's a bromance, really, about Harry not joining the Avengers while still getting to know them all, particularly Steve 'Capt. America' Rogers. Sorely lacking in any plot to speak of, but it's a light-hearted character piece with consistent voices for the movie characters and a decent amount of situational humor.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  3. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'll second that. It was fun to read, and at no point did I have to push myself to keep slogging through, but there was no real plot, and it read like a slash author who wanted a wider audience.

4. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

I'll third it. It's an amusing story that doesn't take itself too seriously, what with various Avengers' antics. All about the characters and very little plot (if any).

Crestfallen and Pear Shaped are similarly two HP/Avengers stories that take decidedly different approaches to the crossover.

Crestfallen (upper limit of Almost Rec., quality-wise) features an ancient, world jumping, Master of Death Harry that lands himself in Asgard before returning to Earth.

Pear Shaped (so far average for Almost Rec.), on the other hand, features Unspeakable Commander Phoenix (aka Harry Potter) sent State-side to deal with the loss of the Tesseract.

I enjoyed the first enough to read through it all, but I'm a little hesitant about the second because of how over-the-top Harry's personality is.

5. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Odin acting like a messenger boy, and then Harry preaching to Odin and scolding him for sending Fenrir away, made me want to slap the author up the side of his fool head. That was in chapter 4. Hopefully it gets better.

6. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Hey, there's a reason I posted it here. At some point in the story, I think Harry said he's about 800+ years old, but I'm pretty sure Odin is ancient even by his standards. The idea of Harry scolding him about parenting wisdom was a little difficult to read past, but the story keeps moving anyway.

7. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

What do you mean by "keeps moving anyway"?

If by that you mean there's a deal-breakingly egregious failure on the writer's part in chapter three, and the story "keeps moving" just because it literally has a chapter four, then you and I seem to have different definitions of how stories "keeps moving".

8. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I love how Harry's supposedly eight hundred years old and yet blushes at the mere mention of sex during a conversation with Heimdall, regarding that god's ability to see everything.

Just because the author points out the absurdity doesn't make it any less absurd. After eight hundred years I expect Harry to have fathered five hundred children and become the most skilled lover in the history of ever. Fucking is one of those basic human skills. Without it there wouldn't be any humans. If this Harry's still blushing like a virgin, and perhaps is a virgin, then he's a lost cause.

That was in chapter 5. I skipped ahead to chapter 20. The story seemed to have improved, but not enough to want to read more chapters.

9. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Virginal authors have so many tells in their writing.

10. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

What I meant by that is that, while that particular part was handled horribly, the story doesn't get hung up on that point for much longer. Though, now that I think about it, there's fair chances Harry will return to Asgard at some point and the issue's going to come up again. Damn.

It's a shame I put it up for review instead of in the Almost Rec. thread.

Oh, wait...

11. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    His Angel

Well this will get laughed at. Pure fluff and drama with some magic, assassination insane Crouch somewhat balanced power scale. The first 13 chapter is the book four arc. I would say 2,5-3,5/5

12. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I got your back HoS.

I like this story. Oh, there are elements I cringe at (erratic grammar, weird OC muggle friends in the latest chapter), but for Harry/Fleur fluff this is pretty damn good.

Now if only there was an update to The Man Who Conquered. That story had some awesome Harry/Fleur dynamics, with Fleur embracing the fact she's a predator of men.

13. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

I had a look at that story, but the grammar in the dialogue was just too painful.

Seriously annoying. Writing dialogue like that is possibly my biggest pet peeve.

14. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I think I strained something just reading that excerpt. :(

15. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Where are the commas, Fatality?

WHERE ARE THEY?

*screams*

16. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

The worst part is I want to read it - I like the pairing and I'm pretty desperate for something to read right now, but the dialogue is just that awful I can't bring myself to do it.

I looked into a later chapter in the story, and for some reason the author decided to go from having nothing at the end of a line of dialogue to a full stop, though somewhat inconsistently. For example:

And kind of a reverse of how dialogue works here:

I'm pretty perplexed at how much the author struggles with writing dialogue. HoS and Kensington have my respect for being able to soldier through it.

17. pepper

pepper First Year

It's one thing that the pairing is going to be Loki/Harry slash, but I refuse to read a fic about an eight hundred year old uke super wizard protagonist.

This has to have been mentioned before, but searching for either the author or the title turns up nothing:

FateProphecy Break
    Author: Wrathkal
    Summary: A young Harry Potter gets his hands on a certain summoning ritual, and carries it out on the spur of the moment! Archer-Harry team. Independent, smart Harry.
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Harry P. & Archer - Chapters: 20 - Words: 213,642 - Reviews: 480 - Favs: 616 - Follows: 616 - Updated: 09-15-12 - Published: 05-02-12 - id: 8079676

Merges nasuverse magic into the world of Harry Potter pretty well, after reading a few chapters I've started to wonder why there aren't any nasuverse fics that focus on a magi's pursuit of Akasha because it's much more interesting than the plots of fate/stay night or tsukihime.

18. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The first twelve seconds of this seems to be the only logical answer as to how to deal with this ... abomination.

19. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I tried to read Fate Prophecy Break 2-3 times. But having an interesting premise doesn't make something readable. Even as a guilty pleasure it has way, way too many cliches.

yak
  20. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I wish I could like Fate Prophecy Break because I want to see some quality HP/FSN xovers, but the pacing of this story is killing me.

I don't care too much about the scheming and politics of 11 and 12 year olds, but it seems that's what we're getting. At this point, I wish we'd just get a training montage and fast forward to at least the Triwizard Tournament.

Not open for further replies.