1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended VI

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 9, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

So I had a conversation with the author, and I am happier than I used to be. He doesn't plan to have some sort of 'redemption'-plot, and Harry will not end up fighting with Neville against Voldemort.

This means I can now continue reading the story, and hopefully enjoy Harry taking apart the DA and fighting his way back into Slytherin's good graces.

Edit: Fixed, thanks Fardeki. Must've been a c/p fail on my part.

yak
  2. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Am I the only one who clicks on the quoted link and gets redirected to a MLS Fantasy Soccer page? :confused:

3. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

No. No you are not.

4. esran

esran Professor

Does Just Another Orphan get any better later on? In chapter 3 Harry goes on a rant about how proper wizards celebrate Yuletide. WTF? If wizards celebrate Yuletide, Hermoine should know. He explains that Hermoine knows nothing of the magical world. How could she not? She reads the history books all the time. And why is Hermoine completely ineffectual. Shouldn't she have argued that elves only want to work because they are indoctrinated? Or does the author honestly think Hermoine simply didn't know that elves want to work?
    Then Hermoine says that the magical world becoming more like the muggle world is called progress, and Harry storms off. I had to resist the urge to instantly close the tab.

5. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

The entire point here is that Hermione is wrong. Which is why I initially enjoyed it immensely.

I don't think that story is for you, esran. (Or, in fact, this particular genre.)

6. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Compared to all the Slytherin fics being recommended lately in the last month or two, this is my favorite. It is actually readable, and while it has the slight Gryffindor dislikes Slytherin and visa versa, it is mild, plays out in a believable way, and to me does not come off as bashing. They fight, they argue, they get over it and move on, none of this feels like irrational arguing that most of these fics usually include.

The Hermione argument didn't bother me, sure it was the same annoying old SPEW argument saying Hermione doesn't know shit, but it's not heavy handed and it's thankfully over quick, and so far hasn't been brought up again. The author is actually making Hermione into someone who learns and adapts, not just the same character spewing the same nonsense again and again. So kudos for that.

It is still really short, but so far out of the latest slew of Slytherin fics, this is Slytherin done right. It's so far pretty mild, they aren't perfect and they don't run any underground broom racing competitions. They are just another house with a lot of Death Eaters children currently residing in it, and now with Voldemorts return there is already some interesting characterization going on to that effect.

Loved the latest chapter with the Slytherin version of the DA spurring Harry. And their justification is sound, whether or not they are right in it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  7. Photon

Photon Order Member

"A do-over fic in which four separate things went wrong even before the time jump. Now there are five people from the future, none of them really knows what's going on, and each plans to backstab at least two of the others."

"Adventure/Humor - Su L. - Chapters: 2 - Words: 6,190 - Reviews: 7 - Favs: 5 - Follows: 9 - Updated: Sep 5 - Published: Aug 30"

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10656861/1/Interloper

It has barely two chapters, but I always wanted to find story like this (there is the other one, but updated about once in a millennium). Second chapter has nice wordbuilding.

T3t
  8. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What's the "other one"?

9. Photon

Photon Order Member

"Far Too Many Time Travelers" - unfortunately I am not aware about any other story like this.

10. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pretty sure Jeram might have heard of that one, heh.

11. Jeram

High Score:
    Somehow I had a feeling... But hey, my update rate is only MOSTLY terrible. I mean it's bad.

12. Photon

Photon Order Member

No! I demand full return of my money that I paid to read this story! It is completely unacceptable!

yes, it is sarcasm

13. methor

methor Fourth Year

14. Jeram

High Score:
    Say... guess who just updated with a new scene!

Ah ha! Now my update rate is merely "abysmal".

15. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

Has Harry Potter and The Aftermath been recommended here? It's a HP/Avengers post-Voldemort fic. Not library worthy but it's on the better end of the Post-Voldemort fic spectrum and has it's moments.

The first half feels like a rehash of a lot of other HP/Avengers fics' but the second half was a lot more enjoyable.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8282970/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Aftermath

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  16. Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude Fourth Year

It might help if you actually linked to the first chapter, IBG.

17. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

My bad, fixed.

Not exactly a big deal anyway.

18. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I hated that fic. For some reason the very idea that Fury would know all about the inter workings of the wizarding world and is capable of just casually revealing this knowledge to whomever he pleases is deeply distasteful to me.

The fact that the cancer of xover, drop of a hat life story retelling, happens in the same chapter could not have helped.

Also its straight up cross, as in both worlds just happen to exist together. The kind of shit that happens in marvel-verse would not go down well with wizards. All the superheros would end up cadged inside the department of mysteries or something.

19. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

I disagree vehemently with this statement.

Fic was a bad one, though. Poor punctuation is probably the least of its drawbacks.

20. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Inspected by No 13

Hermes will always be part of me. So this little Parody was a nice tribute to him, mon.

Not open for further replies.