1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Alternate Hinata Fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by disposablehead, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    The Hinata in Time Braid by SharperV had an evil/insane version traipsing about the multiverse. The story is Sakura-centric, though Hinata is one of a few main characters.

2. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Yikes Time Braid, be warned that story is like Chunin Exam Day.

Good idea jumping to shark so badly you want to cry in front of PC.

3. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

I don't think it's right to compare Time Braid to Chunin Exam Day except for the obvious premise they both share (time loop). Yes, they both end up going way over the top. But while Chunin Exam Day turns into an over the top river of rancid shit spraying onto the Interwebz from out of the author's asshole, Time Braid actually has a pretty epic conclusion, even if some parts of the story are a little abstract and 'out there'.

4. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Are you referring to the Oh! My Goddess crossover which began in Ch 9 and is still going strong in Ch 11 [where I'm up to]. It came out of left field and is completely retarded. I'm hoping that element of this story disappears, but it sounds like it's going to be an integral part of the plot.

Other than that, the story has been pretty good so far. Not library worthy, but a decent way to waste time and compelling enough that I wanted to finish it.

5. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

I'm not familiar with anything from Oh! My Goddess, so I never picked up on it being a crossover. I just assumed the author was reading way too deeply into Sakura's split personality issues and elaborating on it to a bizarre extreme.

I'm not saying Time Braid was perfect by any stretch of the imagination. All the weird seduction and sex jutsus annoyed the hell out of me, for instance. And at times it just didn't feel like a Naruto fan fic at all, due to how far out of left field some things came from.

Still, though, I felt the overarching structure of the story was good, and, at times when I thought the author had lost the plot, the story would regain its focus and I'd keep reading.

6. yak

I'll keep at it then.

All the stuff about Demon third class, provisional license, contracts, the Nidhogg system, Daimakaicho, etc. is straight from Oh! My Goddess.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  7. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Why do people like to crossover to Oh! My Goddess so much anyways? It is like Ranma/Sailor Moon, random and everywhere.

8. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

How common is it? Time Braid is the only Naruto fic that comes to mind that is crossed with OMG.

The Ranma/Sailor Moon thing is because both were at the height of their popularity in the USA at around the same time, so it is completely understandable that the two get crossed over so often.

yak
  9. yak

Despite my belly-aching over the O!MG crossover, Time Braid was actually a pretty good read. Even the O!MG elements worked well. Some of the story was over the top, especially the Naruto love, but not so much that it stopped being fun.

There are a few scenes which really stick out in my mind, but foremost is one of the early ones where Sakura seeks help from Tsunade for her affliction. Sakura's desperation and melancholy in that situation was portrayed perfectly.

10. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

Just in case anyone has hesitated to read this because it's a Self Insert, I just want to add my approval of it and heartily recommend it.

I feel that the Hyuuga and their bloodline have been unduly disregarded by Kishimoto ever since Shippuden got started, considering that in the pre-time skip manga they received a lot of attention and their bloodline was even linked with the evolution of the Sharingan, a point which has since been entirely ignored/revised.

This fic goes into extreme detail about the Byakugan, chakra theory, Jyuuken, etc. and it's a lot of fun to read it if you like that sort of thing. The pace is slow, but I find myself enjoying that. By the time Hinata is out of the Academy, she will no doubt be incredibly strong, but I'll feel that she has really earned it, which isn't something I can say about most over-powered characters in other fics.

If you haven't already, give A Cage of Blood and Circumstance a chance.

yak
  11. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Well, you've successfully tempted me. I'll stick that on my reading list.

12. mangaguy

mangaguy Fifth Year

Yeah, I second A Cage of Blood and Circumstance. The writing is a bit mechanical, though, and the exposition on the Byakugan and chakra theory is indeed quite long.
    The author mentions that she primarily writes engineering reports, which might explain it. It's also short and updates somewhat slowly. But it is worthwhile, especially if you liked Hinata or was interested in the Byakugan instead of that story-hax Sharingan bullshit.

13. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

The Byakugan parts are very interesting but it feels... stale? maybe... I'm not sure how much I enjoy it. It's a nice read if a little heavy on exposition.

14. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

I think its because its very very easy to use that as a "higher power" after all its an established universe that readers can look up on their own and have an easy reference to.

As for Chunin Exam Day and Time Braid...

hah.

Hooo boy.

I think the main difference between the two would be that at least Time Braid doesnt pretend that the bad things its characters do are actually good things.