1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Always Smiling by Lady Salazar - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Banner, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Title: Always Smiling
    Author: Lady Salazar
    Rating: Teen (at least)
    DLP Category: Independent, borderline horror
    Pairing: None (friendship Hr, mentor GW)
    Words: 23,255
    Published: June 22, 2007

Summary: Running only made it worse, and crying only made them enjoy it more. So Harry smiled instead, and waited for the day when he wouldn't have to, when it'd be them running and crying in his place.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3610971/1/Always_Smiling

I'm hesitant to post a one-shot, but I found this story both intelligent and intense. Harry is savvy, disciplined and tough (does this make him OOC?) Let's say that this is the Harry that we could see First-Year Harry could have been, if he focused on survival. Ordinarily, a Harry that's studying sword would be a major turn-off, but he's spending *years* at his mastery, and he's using it WITH his magic.

I *love* the ending.

Checked by Minion, March 24, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2013
  2. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

I read this a while ago, the author is actually one of my favourites. Writing certainly didn't disappoint, and the story is rather long considering it's chapter count. The retelling of the books was handled pretty well IMHO, and Harry's character was fantastic! The ending was very bloody, which was a big plus. The mentorship didn't bother me in the slightest.

4.8/5

3. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

I think I've alread seen this fic somewhere on this forum, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I like the way Harry is portrayed. The only downside (for me) is this strong anime/manga/whatever thing.... except for that, a good read

4/5

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I think this was already posted before, probably alongside her other great oneshot "Unholy". Either way, an excellent short story. Too bad the author never really attempted to write an actual novel-length fic.

5. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

It's already posted?
    Damn. I'm sorry about that. I *did* look around on the site, and I didn't see it anywhere. I apologize. (I have GOT to figure out the search function here. I just can't seem to make it work right.) :eek:

6. slasheh

slasheh Seventh Year

i actually prefer it, when authors stick to their limits. Not everyone can write a novel, but a decent one-shot is also nice

7. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

She said that this had elements of Ruroni Kenshin in it, but I saw Harry as closer to Ichimaru Gin from Bleach then anything else, but then again nobody really knows what Gin is thinking so I could be wrong.

5/5 for me:)

8. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

I too found Harry's attitude something like Gin's from Bleach, especially the way he smiles. That being said I really enjoyed this story. It was extremely well written, apart from the occasional spelling/grammar mistake here and there, and the characterizations were pretty good too.

My only complaint would be that the kata styles were somewhat confusing and may have been able to be explained better, but I can nod my head and pretend to know what Harry was doing.

5/5

9. Vtigo

Vtigo Second Year

I would have to agree that some more detail's in a few areas would be nice, but then again it's also a one shot so it's not really needed.

4/5

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  10. Drake

Drake Seventh Year

I enjoyed reading the story, but the one thing I found rather annoying was Harry and Ginny's discovery of the wonders the library held. I am glad that Harry took several years to get anywhere in his training, but I felt that there was a severe lack of magic in this story. I think the best part of the story however was Harry's hidden ruthlessness, and determination to devour the weak. I'd rate this story 4/5.

11. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

I kindda found it ordinary actually. While it wasn't bad per say it just seemed to be lacking a certain omph and didn't have anything to really grab my attention.

3/5

12. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

I'm with Niffler... ordinary.

Two things that made me roll my eyes was the lack of a mentor teaching him anything... and the idea that he somehow practiced while at the dursleys. Excuse me... where precisely would he do this? In the back yard... where the neighbors might see and make snide remarks about. The Dursleys would have none of that sort of "foolishness". After all, "perfectly normal people don't go about swinging wooden swords in their back yard... and they especially don't go in for any sort of oriental nonsense either. " is what they'd probably say about it.

You simply cannot learn swordsmanship to any degree of mastery on your own (from a book)... and especially not without an opponent to practice against.

13. Kate

Kate Elite Member DLP Supporter

I don't think it was Harry's' attitude she referred to as mush as the different kind of swords and sword styles (reversed blade sword and so on).

As for the story, it has been discussed on this forum before, but the thread must have been deleted.

In any case, I almost never enjoy Harry Potter fics that involve Japanese swords (Probably because those kind of stories often focus more on swords than magic, and coincidentally involve a long shopping trip and several random clichés).

Although this wasn't half as bad as other 'sword'-fics I found myself bored and skimmed through most of it. As Niffler said, it is in seriously need of some omph.

14. Paravon

Paravon Seventh Year

He wasn't practicing with a sword, he was practicing the focusing of his senses.

The same can be said of learning complicated magic from any book, but we accept that in fics. Besides, it's a magic book.

15. Calis Clayr

Calis Clayr Seventh Year

One of the smallest countries in the world
    Ah, gotta love Sojiro...

Anyway, a nice one-shot. He doesn't become super!Harry as soon as het gets a sword, the training isn't rushed, and he's aware he won't be a master for many years.
    The only thing I didn't think was realistic is the fact he actually carries a katana around (and a wakizashi, later) and nobody notices it (or I missed that part in the fic). Even with bulky robes, it would be noticable...
    ... and it's too bad we don't get to read how he kicks Voldie's ass with a sword :p

16. 007_rock

007_rock DA Member

I liked this story except for all those Japanese words........ Reuniting the golden Trio plus Gin-Gin was a bit much though..... She could've continued the story in my opinion, especially with such meticulous build up......
    4/5

17. Tsukiyomi-chan

Tsukiyomi-chan Squib

4/5

Harry really reminded me of Gin from Bleach, which is fine by me cause Gin is awesome. Its a pretty good story that should definitely be continued. I liked the use of the Japanese, in my opinion it just makes the story better instead of translating all the names. I mean, you don't see anyone translating the spells from HP into english, so why translate the Japanese.

If continued, I think Ginny would make a good Soifon. Their tempers are certainly similar.

Definitely worth a read.

18. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Those swords wouldn't happen to be katanas, would they? It's funny, because it's the first thing that comes to mind when I read "Japanese" and "sword" in the same sentence. Excluding seppuku.

19. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

^ That answer your question? Personally, I liked this a lot. I too, was often reminded of Gin, though equally of Kenshin.

This passes the sword phobia because it's developed well, in my opinion. Said phobia only kicks up when Harry disappears for 1 hour - 9000years and saves the day with his 1337 samurai-ninja techniques.

4/5

20. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Damn. It really does remind me of Gin. A more detached person from the world. It's an interesting take on Harry.
    I wouldnt say its the best thing I've ever read but as a guilty pleasure read, it's one of the best.
    5/5