1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

American fools... er *Idol

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Excellent! *winces at person on American Idol*

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You're getting a first class ticket to hell for watching that horrible fixed gameshow. I'd wager money it's a white, male, rocker that wins this year.

3. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

It's morbidly amusing to be honest, and its something to watch while working on the server. Simon's blunt comments never cease to garner a laugh from me.

4. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

o_O... i do hope you watch it muted until he is speaking... even IM not that masocistic...

5. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I'll openly admit, I typically watch the first week. Half the time while I'm writing or not paying too much attention. But the early shows are the only remotely interesting ones. Where you can see just how absolutely talentless so many people are. And they're all so deluded as to thinking they're good. Watching people's hopes and dreams get crushed as they cry and walk away (or swear, call Paula fat, flip the bird)... well, with dreams this stupid, it makes for great tv.

Once they have the mediocre talent left and the decent singers going, it's hopeless. Can't hold my interest at all. But the seeing fat chicks dance like strippers with awful voices... it's just funny because they're really trying their best. And their best is horrible!

6. DGD

DGD Headmaster

Heh, yeah. I watch until they move on from the first round of auditions. Some of the "singers" are so bad it made me want to vomit. And Simon's comments leave me in tears at times.

7. Midknight

What I find amusing about the show is 2 of the judges are talentless hacks who couldn't get up there and belt out songs any better then the rejects.

The other (Simon) is a arrogant asshole who at least has a vampire like managerial quality about him, it mixes with his used carsalesmen vibe.

8. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Yes, I remember that one of Paula's songs, the one with the funky cat, was in VH1's "Awesomely Bad" Songs.

9. Midknight

10. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Ah, yes, that was what it was called. After that show of complete ineptitude in the field of music, I'm surprised she has the gall to tell other people how they can improve. If I were her I would have gone into hiding.

11. Midknight

Not to mention they had a clip of Paula's camera time last year on Kontraband.com. She looked drunk as hell or high on painkillers in every clip. Her speech was very slurred and her eyes were glassy. No wonder they've let talentless hacks like Rueban or Fantasia win, and then they push horrible acts like Gay Aiken down our throats.

12. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Man, Clay Aiken. I listened to that one song of his, Invisible, and do any of the girls that like it realize what the hell it means? It means that he wants to be invisible in your room while you dress, undress, and sleep.

...perverted much?

And I just hate Fantasia.

13. Midknight

THANK YOU! I made that point over and over anytime some dumb chick talked about how sweet that song was. I'd come back with, so if I was invisible and stalked you, and watched you undress and shit, you'd think it was romantic?

"NO!"

Well then wtf, the lyrics are, "if I was invisible I would just watch you in your romm>>> I'd just make you mine tonight" That's stalking and raping you stupid twat"

ohhhhhh they got pissed.

14. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Hahahha; I pictured Gollum when you said that!

OT though the song does have a good mellow kind of beat to it, but the creepy lyrics kill it. There was a song a while back about a guy being a fly, or in this girls closet/something like that and it also got good praises... The music vid. creeped me out though.

I'll stick with classical/classic punk thanks.

15. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Okay, for hating on the American Idols, you seem to know more about it than I do. I didn't even recognize all those names. Let alone start quoting lyrics.

And you know the show has very little to do with talent. They're not searching for quality. They're searching for a sound or style that can be easily marketed and sold and make tons of money. The popularity of the show guarantees success, in a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy kind of way. Paula Abdul's "Opposites Attract" may suck in retrospect, but it sold a lot of records. Hell, I can still remember most of the hooks in the song. Though I'm struggling to remember "Hush, Hush" which I think was hers too. And I thought Randy was a producer at a record label for a long time, as in he helps develop and scout talent.

But still, it's not about finding quality, it's about finding the right blend of quality and marketability.

And I'm ashamed to admit, but I really liked that song "Since You Been Gone." Thought it was decent chick rock, only to later find out it was Kelly Clarkson. Had I known that, I doubt I would have liked it as much, but still. It's a good song... especially for an American Idol winner.

16. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

Kelly Clarkson's reality tv manufactured? I suppose you learn something new everyday. agreed about "Sine You Been Gone" being good.

When bored I occasionally watch American Idol (though this is the first series where i've tuned in). I have to admit that the American Idol wannabes are far more extreme than the X Factor ones (the UKs equivalent). And it seems as if Simon's far harsher on American Idol than X Factor. And yes, he does sometimes have me in stitches. It's the tone that gets me, it's as if he thinks its normal to call someone "Vicky Pollard".

Watching other people making fools of themselves to make ourselves feel better...American Idol markets itself really.

17. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I wanted to kill William Hung last year for butchering Freddy Mercury's work.

Especially since he didn't even understand what he was singing about when he slaughtered 'We are the Champions'.

And dont get me started on the other contestants.

18. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

I've not seen any American Idol, though I do believe it's shown on ITV2 over here. I didn't even watch much of X-Factor even though the guy that eventually won it (Shayne Ward) used to be my next door neighbour when I lived in the shithole known as Hattersley (the Moors Murderers :shock:). After I moved to Hyde (Doctor Shipman :shock:) I lost contact with him.

PS. I must have a thing for living near serial killers.

19. Midknight

I like her alot, she's the only one with true talent that the show has produced yet. She can sing without backup and sound magical.

However, her first cd, the one produced while she was under Idol management, sucked. Her second, once she was able to actually to get non-nazi management, was much, much better.

Since you been gone, Behind These Hazel Eyes, B/c of you, etc are all much higher quality then redos of ancient songs.

I don't know what the hell the deal with William Hung was, I don't think he understood most folks were making fun of him. His Living La Vida Loca was most painful.

20. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

I am ashamed to say that "Behind These Hazel Eyes" is a song i like..alot...it was with this song that i noticed Kelly Clarkson.I never liked american idol...I always thought it was crap..but not I think its...worse then crap.