1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

An Aunt's Love by Emma Lipardi: Chapters 1-6

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Title: An Aunt's Love
    Author: Emma Lipardi
    Rating: M
    Summary: Harry comes home from school and Petunia is upset at the change in her nephew. Petunia decides to do what she should have been doing all along. Dumbledore had better stay away. Petunia Dursley is upset.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2196609/1/An_Aunts_Love

Alright, this isn't really a serious entry. I fully expect it to be thrown in the trash bin in a few days. I'll do it personally myself. I just figured this was the best place to put it, for now. I just felt the need to flame the shit out of this story. It's not exactly a hilarious flame, more like scathing criticism of everything she writes. And it's long. 2K words. ;)

I hate this story. I really do. I'm writing this flame to show you everything about it that's ridiculously fucked up. I've only read 6 chapters of this, and already have ~2,000 words in pure flame. I might read the rest later on, but for now, its raped my mind so much, that I had trouble doing simple subtraction.

First, there is no time lapse in between Petunia hating Harry's guts, and Petunia having a sudden change of heart, and loving him more than she does Dudley. What the hell? I could accept this if the change were gradual, and happened over a period of months, not a period of days.

Why was this line even needed? It's adds nothing to the conversation, and it wasn't in the slight bit humorous. How is calling someone a fucking bat funny? The fact that she laughed at hearing it makes the line even more idiotic.

Of course, it's all Dumbledore's fault. It's Dumbledore's fault that Harry has a shitty family, it's Dumbledore's fault that Voldemort killed Harry's parents, and it's extremely unkind of Dumbledore to even think of protecting their last chance against Voldemort. I mean, how dare he? How dare he be so rude to send Harry to his only remaining blood relations?

I see that you're conveniently ignoring the fact that Petunia has done far worse things to Harry than Dumbledore ever has. His only mistake was trusting that Petunia would feel some love for her nephew and raise him with care and give him a happy childhood. This is obviously not the case. How many people do you think lose their parents every day? Harry isn't the only one. However, he has not had any mother or father his only life, only Petunia and Vernon. Again, you conveniently ignore this, and have Petunia blame everything on Dumbledore. Of course, it's not HER fault that Harry is sad for losing his only father figure. It's all because of magic, and especially because of Dumbledore. It's not like she could have gave him a hug or two when he was a child, maybe a few words of encouragement. Oh no, may Hell freeze over before that.

And according to you, Dumbledore is above the law. This is why he was kicked out of the Wizengamot and later on made a fugitive? Yes, of course he is above the law. Because we all know how well fugitives are treated by the police.

Yes, because Hermione is a muggle, and muggles > wizards ALWAYS, right? Muggles are much more intuitive and wizards don't know a single thing to do about a person who is grieving over a lost one. Because, of course, none of them has ever lost anyone before, right?

Ok, now that was just mind blowingly ridiculous. That just screams, "I AM A SNAPE FANGIRL! I LIKE EMO MEN WHO CAN'T LET GO OF THEIR PAST!" Discounting the time when Snape helped Harry in his first year when Quirrel put a jinx on his broom, Snape has never once tried to help Harry. In fact, he's always made Harry's life all the harder in Hogwarts. McGonagall, on the other hand, has tried to help him on occasion, one instance is when she defended him against Umbridge when she told Harry that he would never be accepted as an Auror. She also tried to give him some logical advice, to steer clear of Umbridge, which he did not listen to. And, unlike Snape, she's not a horrible teacher who plays favorites, and gives 0's to students she doesn't like.

Harry tells Petunia everything, it seems. His deepest, darkest thoughts about what people in Hogwarts think of him, even. Also, this makes me laugh because of the previous quotation. First you say that Snape only has Harry's best interests at heart, then you go on to say that everyone in that school only sees Harry in light of his parents. Who, in all of the books up to book 6, has ever done that? Sirius, maybe, but that's debatable and not a solid point that was made in canon. We never knows what goes on in his mind. But I digress, my main point was that no one in Hogwarts, except for one person, ever compares Harry to his parents. Guess who that one person is. Come on, I'll even give you three chances. No? Come on... fine. I'll tell you. IT'S MOTHERFUCKING SNAPE!

Awesome threat, that. Because magic is defeated by cooking equipment all the time.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

In case that didn't make my point: that sentence is incredibly illogical and CLEARLY a half-assed, lame attempt to cover up a plot hole the size of Britney's vagina. Let's look at the logic of that statement, shall we?

You say that they really love him, but they didn't dare show it before he went to Hogwarts. Why? After a decade of emotional abuse, of not recieving birthday or Christmas presents, of getting beat up by Dudley, of having a cupboard for a bedroom, of just being plain downtrodden, you think Harry will choose to stay with them if he has the choice to leave for 10 months every year? You seriously believe that this is a logical explanation?

On the other hand, what if they had loved and cared for him since the beginning? What if they had treated him like their own son? If they did that, he most probably would have listened to them and not gone to Hogwarts.

Even if this were true, she would have said something in the cabin when Hagrid first came. She would have tried to change his mind. But she didn't, did she? You know why? Because she's a stupid bint that doesn't care about Harry at all.

Loooooool. Dumbledore, the greatest wizard of the age, doesn't have the knowledge to find Harry? Because he doesn't have the entire Order at his disposal, or anything. And did you already forget that you had placed Order wizards outside the house? What the fuck do you think will happen when Petunia returns, but Harry doesn't?

Nice. Very nice. That's the way to treat someone who's just been instituted, insult both their size and strength.

There's that clichéd name. Evan James. James Evans. If he's going into disguise, why not just call him Michael Craig or something? Something that can't be connected back to Harry. You know, because that's what disguises and secret names are supposed to do.

What rules are these exactly?

1) Stay at Privet Drive for a few weeks every summer.

Yeah, so MANY goddamned strict rules. How the hell does he manage?

Since when is Harry horrified by the sight of food? Seriously, you're making him look like an anorexic chick. Self insert, perhaps? How many fucking emo tendencies do you want the guy to have?

You seriously have something against Dumbledore, don't you? I don't get it, here Dumbledore has been trying to protect Harry, and you hate him, but Petunia has been abusing him all his life and you make her out to be a fucking saint.

Who the fuck does this? No one. They just don't randomly blurt out names, like they expect the other person to know who they're talking about. A much better, and less awkward way to phrase this would be, "Yeah, but I'm not very good at it. My best mate, Ron, is loads better." Of course, that would have to mean you would be a halfway decent author, which you clearly aren't.

Yes, because they don't have phones in a state of the art Muggle institution.

Oooo, here we are to chapter 4, my favorite! This is the chapter in which Hermione replies back to the letter Harry sent her, and refuses to tell the Order anything! Harry, of course, it understandably angry, and rants at her. Then he mellows out and just forgets about it. Yeah, you don't know the mind of a teenage guy that much, do you? I'd fucking bitchslap the cunt and rape her if she pulled that shit with me.

Uh huh...

So, a psychiatrist (at the very least a psychologist, I'm hoping) in a mental institution will take Harry and a letter from a friend at face value. Sure, he's a little doubtful, but the fact that he's not horrified that Harry is even more fucked up in the head than he thought is disturbing as hell to me. He's a fucking psychiatrist in a mental institution. Of course any student there would have fucked up imaginations, he should see this as slightly excessive, but something to help him along in his job to help Harry heal. Then, he should consider the possibility that Hermione isn't real, and Harry is writing letters to himself. Or, if she is real, then she's crazy as well, and she needs to be brought in. Not, "Oh, I need to see if Harry is telling the truth!"

If anything, Hermione should be expelled from school and have her wand snapped for so blatantly and casually breaking the Statute of Secrecy (is that what it's called?). This is just so fucking stupid, I feel the need to strangle you right now. God. Plot holes upon plot holes upon motherfucking plot holes. It's like a thread woven in throughout all these last 4 chapters.

WHEN THE FUCK DID THIS EVER HAPPEN? WHEN THE HELL DID ANY PROFESSOR EVER STATE THIS? GO SUCK ON A COCK AND DIE, CUNT.

No. Just no. Snape has never done his duty as a teacher. He has failed miserably in that area. He continuously degrades Harry in class, "accidentally" breaks his potion samples, and never teaches him a fucking thing. Stop changing facts to support your fantasies about Snape's dick covered in Harry's feces. It's never going to happen, fangirl.

Wow. Just wow. The guy has just gotten the biggest shock of his life, that there is a whole society of wizards and witches that live right under their very nose, and he doesn't even give a shit. He's at the most mildly surprised.

What the hell is with you and the question, "Hermione? Is she a girlfriend?" It's happened every fucking time her name is mentioned to someone new.

Do you have no male friends? Do you automatically assume that any female that befriends a guy is his girlfriend? Or is this just a horrible, horrible foreshadow?

Yes, because a family of 2 dentists and a bucktoothed know-it-all absolutely love these cavity causing snacks, right?

Yeah, that's where I stopped. I couldn't go any further. Really, I had to eat a whole box of Samoa's to get rid of the vile taste in my mouth. Then I proceeded to get blazed, in the hope that I would perhaps forget completely about reading your story. Alas, it wasn't so.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  2. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

Sree, I thank you for stating something that is not stated often enough.

3. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Hilarious flame. The story on the other hand...

Flame = 5/5
    Story = 0/5

Edit: How the HELL does this story have 9340 reviews?!?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  4. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    I'm currently pretty whacked out and I think that's why I was loling irl about this.

lol

This story sounds terrible.

If some kid in a MENTAL INSTITUTION walked up to me and said "I'm a wizard magic is real"

I wouldn't be like "Lets go visit his friends and find out of this nutjob is different from everyone nutjob I've written off as a nutjob in here"

...No I'd be like "NIGGA HAVE SUM PILLS AND A SPECIAL VEST"

I'll do chapters 7-12 if you'd like?

5. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

"Do you automatically assume that any female that befriends a guy is his girlfriend?"

Ah, if only that was the case. Half the guys in this world would be very happy men indeed.

As for the story, read it ages ago- well, tried to. Like Sree said, a total reversal of characters. Snape and Malfoy are suddenly Severus and Draco, and actually give a shit about Harry's wellbeing. Hermione's flat-out tells Professors to get stuffed (not in those own words, of course) and Harry's reduced to a weak, sniveling wreck.

What really annoyed me about this story is how Petunia becomes Aunt-of-the-Year for no apparent reason. For fuck's sake, what Vernon and she did to Harry was criminal neglect at the very least, not to mention the emotional and physical abuse. Am I the only one who remembers how Petunia tried to hit Harry with a frying pan? So, yeah, I'd give it a 2/5 ONLY because the author has proper grammar and spelling. Hell, if she wrote something GOOD, I'd probably read it.

That's a big if though

6. 007_rock

007_rock DA Member

You brought back unpleasant memories Sree....... I read this piece of shit ages ago and if I remember right I read almost all the written chapters then, around 50 or so....
    The story gets more and more stupid later on.... Like Snape finding out where Harry is and then later on refusing to tell Dumbledore about it... And then Harry gets knocked out some stupid stunt and a book he has somehow acquired belonged to Merlin's master or something who trains him in his head while he is unconscious....... ah it goes on...... But unfortunately I couldn't...

Keep away from this if have recently had food folks....
    Epic fail......

7. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Merlin's master? Are you fucking serious, 007?

This story might be even more fail than I previously thought.

8. MrMucus

MrMucus Groundskeeper

Spacks left a rather amusing review on this story ages back, which then was viciously defended by its fans. There were only 3000 reviews back then though so good luck locating it now.

The majority of her 9000! reviews are pretty much just repeating themselves however.

9. carvell

carvell Professor DLP Supporter

This thread is the only good thing about this fic, i didnt get past chapter 3 i tried but i couldnt manage it.....

0.5/5 just for good spelling/grammar.

10. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

11. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    You're all missing the point.

Her reviews are OVER 9000!!!!

12. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

*raises eyebrow*
    I enjoy this story. So many fanfic authors expect Harry to just TAKE the emotional blows and keep on being their hero-with-a-shiny-tooth-grin. "An Aunt's Love" deals with the results of long-term emotional trauma.

As far as I am concerned, just going through adolescence is unpleasant enough. I didn't have to deal with multiple murder attempts, bereavement, killing in self-defense, slander on a national scale, or an abusive/neglectful childhood, and I still managed to develop stupid and self-destructive coping strategies. For Harry, the hits have just kept coming.

JKR decided that Harry's response to unusual and severe stress is to CAPSLOCK the hell out of it. Frankly, given his passive (sullen) response to what Umbridge did to him, I think canon!Harry is more likely to turn his anger and frustration inward. Did all of the fine folks here at DLP act like mature, healthy adults all through through their teens?

Why Petunia FINALLY got her thumb out and started acting like a guardian instead of a doormat is explained, as well. She was used to seeing Harry looking healthy at the beginning of vacation. He generally had ten months of good food, exercise, and close contact with friends. This summer, Harry looked bad. She saw the classic signs of depression, and they scared her enough to ask for help. Vernon made her choose between him and the minor child under her protection, and Vernon lost.

Sree, you are seeing Dumbledore the way an adult sees him. Harry, on the other hand, has always seen him the way a young boy would see him. To Harry, AD has been the ultimate expression of power in his life. The Headmaster of the best magic school in the world, the most powerful wizard of his generation, strong supporter of the Light, bonded with a phoenix, able to see through invisibility cloaks, nearly omniscient (especially within the School); Harry pinned nearly all his adore-the-powerful-father-figure responses on AD, and when Dumbledore's flaws (inevitably) start to show, Harry is knocked sideways.

The hell with it: I won't be able to change your mind, and you haven't changed mine. I'm going to curl up with the Sunday paper and hot chocolate and enjoy a quiet morning.

Good grammar, new premise, lots of character development, interesting OC's, refusal to rush the plotline, a Harry that ISN'T intending to become an Auror and then Headmaster when he retires. No sloppy 'ship, No Ginny.

4.5/5 (loses points because of Merlin-in-his-head)

13. jaspernoone

jaspernoone First Year

Twitches head to side, ducks, looks for a Heron Blue...returns five minutes later and reads Banners Review.

Ahem...dearest banner, are u completely and absolutely outa ur effin mind? This is DLP...we dont wanna read weak-as-piss light/mid-strength stories that deal with pretty unrealistic plot development (I had to deal with abusive childhood, a person that abuses you for 13 years, wont suddenly stop and treat you all lovey-fukin-dovey in a matter of days unless they want the social worker to be happy.

Put it this way darlin (if u really are a chick...wow, this place has chicks on it), the story sucks, i've read though it, stopped after fourth chapter, and have stayed the fuck away from it.

Story -5/5
    Flame +5/5
    Reviews up until banner's, 4.5/5
    Banners, definetly worse then the story, but i'm nice! :)!! .0003/5

14. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

There's no need for me to repeat the many, many, epic failures of this fic. The worst of them, in my opinion, has yet to be mentioned though.

Harry wants to be an Actor...and is being supported in that effort by his shrink.

Now, I'm no expert here and even I know that's not going to happen. No shrink is going to support their patient RETREATING FROM REALITY by pretending to be someone or something else. It's a clear indication that Harry is still trying to run from the Prophecy and himself.

Past that I can't comment more. This fic is just too craptastic to think about without causing physical harm to the author to relieve the stress.

15. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Character development? Character development?

This story has anything but character development. Without any lapse in time, Petunia starts to love Harry. And then, apparently, Snape and Malfoy are the best of friends with Harry. Where the fuck do you get character development from? The only person that I see might be canon is Hermione. Because she believes the mental institution is the best place for Harry, she refuses to help him get out of there. She thinks she knows everything, just like she does in the books. If she's set on a path, she does what she thinks is best, without consulting anyone else. Example: books 3 when she has the Firebolt revoked from Harry.

This is just a highly reviewed, Snape/Malfoy fangirl fic, with an emo Harry and a bitchy Hermione. Nothing new, except for good grammar.

Newsflash, Harry isn't a fucking girl. You are, and are viewing Harry's reaction as you might react. You know what the majority of teenage guys do when they get angry, depressed, and frustrated? They become violent. They get pissed off at everyone. They don't stay in their room, cry, and don't eat. Some, maybe, do this. But the majority don't.

And Harry's reaction to pain and loss wasn't to CAPS LOCK everything. That was his reaction during the past year, when Dumbledore ignored him, and everybody mistrusted him except for his closest friends. Again, he isn't a fucking girl. This is normal for a teenage guy to do in times of great frustration. If I remember correctly, Harry might have been a bit subdued, but was mostly normal by the end of summer in book 6. That's one thing that I think JKR hit spot on. She didn't have Harry whine and cry like a bitch, she made him have the normal reaction.

... so yeah, back to the main point, there is no fucking character development.

16. yhelo

yhelo Sixth Year

Sree, it sounds like you haven't actually read past the first chapter. At first, I was extremely skeptical of how the author was going to pull this off without making Harry a gigantic pussy. Well, the author didn't manage that, but they definitely turned him into a believable pussy.

There are a lot of problems with this story but character development is not one of them.

5/5 to balance out the retarded knee jerk reactions in this thread.

17. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

Such a strong hate, Sree. Beware of the Dark Side of the Force.

Really, if you read anything with that state of mind, you'll find few good fanfictions; even the best one have many flaws such as those you found. Beside, you were in such a hurry to flame this fanfiction that you did it completly wrong; you take for facts what characters from this story assume; if they assume that Snape if teaching the students, it doesn't mean that the author was mistaken! Maybe he doesn't know to teach, but people assume he does, after all, he wouldn't be a teacher if he didn't.

If someone jokingly makes a threat "No wand of yours can beat my cast-iron skillet" it's a fucking joke! Or a half-serious threat! Or intimidation! Call it what you like, it's doesn't mean that Muggle weaponry > Magic at all.

It's a pretty decent fanfiction, and quite unique in its genre.

I've seen much worse fanfictions here in the library, everyone being completly out of character, plot holes every few paragraphs, and it got 4 or 5 stars!!!

18. Le

Le Fourth Year

I'm going to have to say that Sree hit the nail on the head just now: this is written as if Harry were a girl. Yes, these are normal reactions. For a teenage GIRL. Not a teenage male.

I should know, I'm a 17-year-old male. I don't repress, most of the time. I find someone to yell at if at all possible. If I don't have someone to yell at, I go play an FPS on the hardest difficulty I can and rape the living daylights out of it.

Girls, on the other hand, as far as I can tell, repress ridiculously.

This fic is nowhere near as good as its giant bulk of reviews might suggest. But . . . as far as fangirl bullshit goes, it's a level above everything else. It's just too bad for it that that still leaves it five levels below decent.

19. NightFox

NightFox Seventh Year

Mental Institution...
    Nice...

With a drama club for acting, a karate master, and a boat load of nicknames and new friends that are just oh so great.

Back in the day, mental institutions were soft padded walls and straightjackets. Not your local highschool.

1/5 story

20. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Well this is a thread packed with fun.

This story is not going to find any new fans in the DLP audience. But I'm not surprised at how popular it is. It's written well enough, been going on a while, and has a ton of chapters and people following it by now.

From what I gathered in the small bits of skimming and comments here in this thread, it's basically taking one of the most hated and vile characters and turning them into a saviour for the angst-filled torture of the main character. Nine times out of ten, this is how Snivellus gets turned into the emo superdad of the My-Chemical-Romance/Angst genre. A few of the more desperate hormonally imbalanced teen girls will use Draco instead.

But Emma here managed to use Petunia and turn her into supermom instead. A very creative twist and one that compels interest from both sides. You get the girls who crust up their candlesticks dreaming about detentions with Snape as well as those who would stubbornly refuse to read any Snape-saves-Harry-from-abuse story.

Instead of saving Harry from the Dursleys, the Dursleys are saving him from the back-asswards parts of the wizarding world. Giving him the support and family they for whatever bullshit reason couldn't give him before.

I've not really read this fic, but there's been absolutely nothing I've heard that's made it sound like something I'd want to read. Frankly the more I hear (acting?), the more awful it sounds.

It's fun seeing people stick up for the fic though. There's an Emma Lipardi fan born every minute, eh?