1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete An Outsider's Look at the Pines Twins by iguessso12 - K - Gravity Falls

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Pure Infinity, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

Title: An Outsider's Look at the Pines Twins
    Author: iguessso12
    Rating: K
    Genre: Mystery/Humor
    Fandom: Gravity Falls
    Pairings: None
    Summary: The Pines twins have been steeped in mayhem, mysteries, and magic every summer since they were 12 years old. Coming back home to Piedmont, going to high school, acting normal? All those things make them stick out like a sore thumb. When you ask outsiders about the Pines twins, you get a mix of strange stories and casual observations.
    Link

Basically what it says on the tin - Dipper and Mabel from the perspective of different OCs, all getting slight glimpses into the crazy world the Pines twins, following the pair from just after the series end, to adulthood.

This is pretty much the best Gravity Falls fic I've come across (which is unsurprising, as the fandom doesn't have many good fics as of yet). I found it be an enjoyable read. Dipper and Mabel are both in character, and develop realistically. The story expands on the supernatural - having Dipper interact with the wider "magical world".

Overall, I'd say it's a solid 4/5.

2. inshooteki

inshooteki Squib

So this story was finished before the last arc of Gravity Falls, so you know there's going to be that big problem that still needs to be resolved; this fic hovers around that and gives glimpses of the twins interacting with people in and around their high school. The people are some friends and mostly antagonists, bullies gossips etc, so the fic is a lot of "poking the mystery twins bear" and getting curbstomped by weirdness and magic. There's some plot movement and a lot of filling in the blanks about what happened between chapters.

The twins themselves are kind of ooc when compared to the show, but given the setting and background I can see how they would become the people in this fic pretty easily. Dipper is a bit more crazy and Mabel fights for justice with stickers.

The writing isn't amazing but it is very readable. The character intros do a lot of telling and little showing when bringing in new players. Average is what I'd call the writing.

Since this is basically the only good longish GF fanfic out there is far, I give it a 4/5.

3. esran

esran Professor

I think I've read this, but I'm not sure and have no desire to reread it so I won't rate.

Just to check though, is this the one where they destroy the property of someone based entirely on that person's name, and when he gets angry (or someone gets angry on his behalf) Mabel gives a long rant about "triggers"?

4. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

Yeah. And it's extremely dumb. Personally, I found it easy to ignore - mainly because I tend to just naturally filter that kind of stuff out at this point - but I can understand why that would be what pops into your mind at the mention of this fic.

5. ???

??? Squib

High Score:
    I really want to like this, but I get too bogged down by the author's politics. For every good chapter there's a chapter with a character who was created solely to serve as a strawman. Even then, I could at least put up with it if the author actually knew what they were talking about. If your child has PTSD and has violent outbursts when triggered and you aren't giving that child any form of professional counseling you do not get to react like the injured party when your child vandalizes public and personal property. If your child has some variety of ADD/ADHD autism spectrum disorder and she is not taking any medication to counteract that she should be placed in a specialty school/class or be homeschooled.

This isn't complicated shit.

I have other problems too, like the stories inability to have any semblance of three dimensional antagonists instead of cardboard stereotypes designed to spotlight the moral of the day.

Fuck. 3/5 if you can read through the politics, 5/5 if you're into the politics, 2/5 from me.

edit: At least Dipper finally owned up to it some decade and a half later in the epilogue.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016