1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP An Unfound Door by joe6991 - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Photon, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Photon

Photon Order Member

Title: An Unfound Door
    Author: joe6991
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Mystery
    Library Category: The Alternates
    Summary: "War is coming to Hogwarts, and Harry Potter, fifth-year Ravenclaw, is beset on all sides by enemies unknown, unseen, and unfound…"
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7552826/1/

Very interesting Harry, rare case of Hogwarts that truly is a magical castle, intriguing plot... The only problem is WIP status combined with rather rare updates.

2. basabbath

basabbath Second Year

I figured this was already in the library since it's been in the WBA for close to 2 years now. That being said it's my favorite story of Joe's.

Here the WBA link for anyone that needs it: link

3. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

A bit harder to rate in comparison to his other stories, because they are mostly completed whereas this only has 40k words on ffn, but still, this was my favorite of the lot.

Why? Because it was decidedly less epic, Joes quality has never been questioned but his style has never been my favorite, when its so epicly epic it stops being epic, where as this story is pretty awesome, but the epicness isn't on the scale of his other stories, which makes it more epic for me.

What is there? 5/5, and I would love to see more, really wanting to see future Harry James interaction and Harrys connection to the drugs. Plus learn more about the shadows. Overall an interesting world, hope he comes back to it.

4. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    This is also my favorite of Joe's fanfiction stories. Harry's not the focal point of some cosmic, multiversal struggle between good and evil. He's just this guy in his own world doing his thing, which happens to be awesome in its own right. There's enough mystery (including mystery at Harry's psyche and motivation) to draw me in.

I also hope to see this one continued someday. 5/5 for the quality of what's there.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

4.5/5 for me -- great stuff here, very interesting, but for some reason I can't discern it's not quite a full-fledged 5/5 for me. Close enough to round up, though.

6. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I love this story, for all that there isn't much of it yet, and it's mainly because of Hogwarts. Sure, it's not the first story to explore the castle and find other areas, but it's undoubtedly the best story to do so. It really feels like an ancient, mysterious magical castle, not just a weird if cool school, and while the Arbiter's Vault could feel like something out of a bad Indy Harry fic, it feels like a natural part of the setting here.

I guess the rest of the story is pretty good too :p

7. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

This is my favorite of Joe's work, so I am rating it 5/5.

8. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

He hasn't updated for ages. Anyone know if he's ever going to update?

9. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

By my mother's mother. This caught my interest. Read joe's famouns super!harry fic and so decided to give this one a shot. I like the suspense and mystery. I don't like the H/Hr pairing but I guess it's unavoidable. A Raven Harry's got a lot in common with Hr.

Giving it a 4.5/5

10. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Wut? It's H/HR? Maybe in the vein of, 'Hermione is the only one who has interacted with Harry a sizable amount so far in the story.'

11. melior

melior Seventh Year

Joe probably prefers writing stories that put food on the table. Frankly I'm jealous; my muse is quite insistent on writing fanfiction.

I've always avoided this story based on how torturous it was to reach the last chapter in Heartlands of Time, which was the first unfinished story I ever read. It took me at least a year before I could bring myself to read another WIP. Also, I feel like DLP can be rather too enamored with some of its veterans...

But dayumn, this story is fantastic two chapters in. I'm really going to regret reading this, aren't I?

12. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Goddammit. I saw this in here and thought he'd updated without posting in WBA.

13. Tommy

Tommy The Green Ranger

I thought this was in the library due to it being on the DLP community on ff.net...

That said, I dig it. It's a chilled story; something I'd read to get away from all the other shit posted on ff.net.

So hell yeah, 5/5 for me, because Harry and James disagreements are pretty good if you do it right.

14. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    ^

Ha.

I never tire of that. Ten years in this fanfiction game and I still love the taste of your disappointment tears.

15. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

And a man as selfish as you is used to disappointed tears no doubt. ;)

Haha. Jokes about sexual prowess are the best.

16. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    One of my first posts on DLP was a very negative review of Joe's Harry Potter and the Sword of the Hero. It shouldn't be surprising then that I wasn't in particular rush to read his later fics, despite assuming that the will be better.

But, after seeing a post about An Unfound Door on HPFF Reddit I've decided that An Unfound Door will be right up my alley and started reading it.

I sort of regret it now.

I've already come to realize that if I actually want to read good stuff I will need to deal with dead fics, hiatuses and abysmal updates. But most of those were either character or setting focuses, whereas the big part of this fic is a story, and a big part of this story is a mystery that Harry tries to uncover. And well, I've caught up with this fic at a very inopportune moment. Actually, I doubt that there was an opportune moment, what with the cliffhangers everywhere. Still, a bad decision on my part.

As you could guess from the previous paragraph I've very much enjoyed the fic. Able, yet flawed Harry, mysterious Luna and the weird relationship between two of them are great. I'm more mixed on the Hermione. She avoids her canon and usual fanon annoyances, but while she is very interested in everything, she isn't interesting on her own. I get that she is supposed to be a person that reader can identify with - like they pulled into a mysterious and dangerous world of Harry Potter. And that usually those characters are blander to allow a certain degree of self-inserting on the reader's part. But I still hope that the current events will end up with some progress for her. Most of the others characters haven't had a chance to shine yet, though I can see a potential in Zoe.

But what I really like about the fic is Hogwarts, hiding many secrets that will be found only by those determined enough to seek them and clever enough to understand how to find an entrance. That connects well with the "mystical nature" of the fic which really adds the weight to discovering the secrets.

Speaking of secrets, there are many mysteries that Harry has to face. And facing them he does, with a lack of regards for rules, or personal safety. For now, it seems that we will avoid the, unfortunately, common asking the question through the entirety of the story, but only giving any answers at the end of it. Or at least I hope so. Still, this fic didn't give me any indication that I should still doubt Joe's plotting skills.

It's hard to rate something this mystery-focused so early in the story, but let's give it tentative 8/10.

17. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

An Unfound Door has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 11
    Words: 66,451
    Updated: 2018-10-26 22:08:14 UTC
    Published: 2011-11-15 04:41:46 UTC
    Previously updated: over 2 years ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.