1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Anime Season: Summer 2015

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Pure Infinity, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Haven't read the manga but I was hoping some of his guildmates would come into this new world but as humans. Would be good conflict with Ainz and hopefully someone he couldn't steamroll over.

Also, Nabe > Shalltear > Albedo. Just sayin'.

2. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Even a single strong human who allied the Slane Theocracy could prove sufficient. A high-ranking PKer or something who set him or herself up as a Seventh God, founding their own scripture. When one of the central nations is built on worshiping the legacy of players, there's room for exploitation, and an ambitious human PC could totally work with that. Might be a good basis for a fic.

Anyway, Overlord is probably the thing I'm following closest, but I want to like it more than I actually do.

3. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    THe whole
    Lizardmen arc
    is fucking bullshit in Overlord.

4. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Yes, fuck the
    lizardmen.
    The one time I'm rooting for Ainz to get his genocide on, he decides to exercise mercy.

5. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Ah, how much of an annoying time sink Overlord is. It's been a while since I caught on some idea I liked that was executed so... I don't even know.

I can't really get into reading the translated novel, as the tenses keep jumping back and forth, but sadly will be waiting for another episode.

With Gate - I read the manga, and while it has flaws, it's something of a newer idea among loads of thing that I've seen before. If it could drop some of the harem approach, it would be even better than it is, but alas.

On barely-related note, what is about Log Horizon that draws people in?
    I opened the manga four times already, and I can't get past a couple of chapters.
    I just can't move past the few things that are established at the very start. (Not marking as spoiler as it's in the first issue):
    1. They start as high level characters.
    2. They gloss over the first few days.
    3. They get revived as they die
    4. The first chapter follows some random quest to go somewhere, and there's no tension, because of the first three points.
    Does it get better?

I could get shot at for this, but Sword Art Online had a better pacing for the first episode than this, and people always say to go and read/watch Log Horizon for a better version of SAO.

6. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

People seem to think it's a "smarter and more intelligent" take on the concept.

It certainly tried its best to be, with this focus on politics, logistics and other aspects as opposed to just the adventuring thing. But to be honest, for me it was worse because it attempted to do that and just fell way, way short. With a concept like that, I have a higher expectations. Forced myself through most of season 1 before dropping it.

To be honest, I'm almost at my limit with this. The first few episodes were cheesy and unrealistic, but I could suspend my belief. But the last few episodes have been stupid to the point of troll.

Apparently now USA resorts to sending in special forces to kidnap guests that they could have probably met up with through their positive diplomatic ties with Japan anyway, only to get owned by the superior JSDF. Let's not forget that everyone is just cool with these super important guests (and foreign diplomats) chilling at a random civilian's house for the night. Shinzo Abe must've been fapping hard to that episode.

7. Consumptus

Consumptus Groundskeeper

I heard this second hand, so it might just be hearsay but the anime is an adaptation of the original novels... that are very obviously biased FUCK YEAH JAPAN.

I've been enjoying it so far with that in mind.

Overlord is also very enjoyable this season.

8. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Is Charlotte worth checking out?

9. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

I caught up to it this week. It has some nice characters in a well built world. Also good character development, interaction and emotional moments. I'm a fan.

10. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Charlotte is pretty good, I think. It starts off somewhat slow but it builds into something excellent, and we're getting into some cool stuff. There actually seems to be a story, so it's better than a hell of a lot of other anime, at least. ;D

11. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Bit behind on it, but it is very Key. Of the more Angel Beats flavour.

12. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Which is good. I can't stand most of Jun Maeda's stuff, but Angel Beats and Charlotte are written very well.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    All the half-interesting shows this season started out on a pretty mediocre note. Charlotte is the only one that actually got better.

14. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Shinometa is pretty fun.

I feel like I shouldn't enjoy it as much as I do, but I can't seem to help myself.

15. Consumptus

Consumptus Groundskeeper

Is anyone else annoyed with the pacing on Rokka?

I feel like they haven't done anything in like 3 episodes

16. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

From what I've seen from comments this goes on for a while. Which I kinda like. No instant solutions for a difficult problem.

17. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    From what I've heard, Rokka is more of a mystery anime than a shounen or a battle anime. Wasn't the impression I got from the beginning, with the whole "defeat the demon lord" business, and I think a lot of people might have gotten mislead by that.

18. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hadn't been keeping up with Shokugeki. Binge watched 19-22. Why does this show have to be so good? The backstories had me tearing up.

19. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Been liking the way Rokka has been handling it all. I don't think it would have done a more epic adventure well (lacked the ability to create energetic scenes really). But this arc is a whole lot more interesting.

Also finally got around to watching Shoukugeki and whoa, I'm blown away. It is the definition of everything that I love about anime. Hits all the boxes of an awesome shounen while avoiding all the usual downfalls. All the characters are cool, the protagonist is fantastic. the pacing is spot on and each arc is interesting enough so far.

The scene composition is absolutely amazing. Supported with an epic soundtrack, a fantastic voice actor cast and appropriate animation, every scene manages to get across huge amounts of energy, tension and awesomeness. Not sure if the manga got all of that atmosphere across, but the anime is really, really well executed either way.

Only downside is the ridiculous fanservice thrown into the reaction scenes. But, the one thing they managed to avoid is have that in any way effect character interaction. It's there for the audience, but the characters themselves don't bat an eyelid - so it can easily be ignored.

20. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm on the fence on the reaction shots. Obviously the vast majority of them are sexual which is something I think really holds the medium back. On the other hand the non sexual ones are usually hilarious. They're also almost clever given the number of people that describe positive food experiences as orgasmic but the jury is out on whether that's intentional or a funny coincidence.