1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Anime Season: Summer 2015

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Pure Infinity, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

I'm really enjoying the fact that everybody just gets naked. It doesn't matter if you're a disgruntled 35-year-old restaurant critic. We will have you bursting out of your shirt, and vomiting youthful epithets at the ceiling.

I'd still prefer it if they toned things down to be just hilarious, case-specific reaction shots. That said, if you're going to through in gratuitous semi-nudity at least do it in an egalitarian fashion.

2. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

I like the nudity tbh, we're it just Erina and every other busty girl in the show dropping there kit I'd find it a little on the mouth, but when this occurs as well it's suddenly not so demeaning.

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think it works quite well. That said, it's used so frequently that it verges on being gimmicky. Shokugeki would be absolutely amazeballs if it didn't get so repetitive and formulaic with it's format and jokes.

4. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You say that, but without being able to taste the food yourself, well, there's only so many times they could wax lyrical or widen their eyes in shock before that loses all impact.

The utter absurdity of the reactions, and the whole 'it's only God Tier if clothes fly off' thing actually works well in that respect imo.

I get it's not for everyone. I can't stand anime drama. Shokugeki is the antithesis of that, so it works for me.

5. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    It does work well. But moderation in humor is key. If you tell the same joke 1000 times in a row, you're going to get fewer laughs with each iteration.

They just need to mix it up a little.

6. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

That's why the show has things like the Cabbage Senshi. PINK CABBAGE!

7. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Oh I know. There's plenty of other funny bits and gags. Not really what I meant by mix it up. More that they need to get creative and stop using the same device multiple times per episode.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  8. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I think the over the top reactions are just as integral to the show as the cooking. its one of its main selling points.

9. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I think the obvious comparison is the reactions in Yakitate Japan. They were a no less ridiculous, but a lot funnier to me, with each one being different and relevant to the food through some ridiculous pun or analogy.

I think in Shokugeki, the first few episodes they just went for a bit too long (losing their impact), which made the anime seem more like a purely fanservicey show. Later on they cut down the time on them a lot, which worked a bit better, but got a bit repetitive. As Idiot Rocker said, I did like the fact that everyone gets naked - and that there's just as much male fanservice as there is female.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  10. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Yes.... they are.... and that's the point.

The problem is they're almost always the same. The point is, as I have been saying repeatedly, the gag needs to be different. The clothes explosion, while initially funny, is already pretty stale.

This. Thank you.

11. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Nah, the reaction shots are exactly where they need to be. Just wait until Nakiri's grandfather takes up judging. Then it will all become clear.

12. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Or Alice's mom; her "strip" is the best.

13. Striker

Alice's mom is good in the manga because you can laugh at her strip and immediately skip past it. It's going to draaaag in the anime.

14. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yukiharaland is coming :3

15. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

The interaction between Pandora's Actor and Ains in Overlord had me laughing. It's a pretty accurate reference to what we thought was awesome as kids would embarrass the shit out of most of us now.

16. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    CALLED IT
    \10char

17. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Well, Soma and Prison School are done now.

Soma was a great and novel concept with characters and plot that made me laugh in every episode. I can't recall being bored even once, and the animation being sharp as well certainly helped. Never thought I'd be able to enjoy an anime about food to such a degree.

Prison School was an incredible experience, too. The anime crossed so many lines in such ridiculous yet awesome ways, my head's still spinning. And, just like Soma, it managed to tickle every funny bone in my body right up to the end. I loved the soundtracks which made this weird setup so much more epic, and the characters were great, with Hana being spoken by the voice actress of Mayushi (Steins;gate), and Kyoshi being spoken by Kamiya Hiroshi (Araragi from Monogatari.)

Such dirty humor, and I loved every second.

Both easily 10/10 on my list.

18. Striker

Read the manga for both. Now. No, yesterday. Read them yesterday.

19. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

Is Prison School actually decent? I kind of stayed away from it because I figured it was gratuitous fan-service coupled with grim-dark prison stuff.

Based on this thread I'm guessing I have that wrong.

20. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    The degradation and humiliation of everyone on-screen is about as grim-dark as it gets, but you heard right on the first bit. The show is a continuous stream of dirty humor and service, but the service is presented in such a horrifically uncomfortable way, you really can't consider it to be service. There is zero substance to the show beyond these two elements. I'll let you decide if that qualifies as decent.