1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Animeeshon Summer 2014

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Jarik, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Animeshon Summer 2014
    June - August 2014

So since Minion hasn't created one yet, and new season anime have started airing, I figured I'd create the thread so we can keep all the new season discussion out of the Anime Recommendation thread.

AniChart version (no thumbnail)

[​IMG]

Season might have potential. On the list for me to try are Aldnoah.Zero, Zankyou no Terror, Akame ga Kiru, Tokyo ESP, SAO II and Fate Kaleid Liner Star Ilya 2 - last two more as guilty pleasures, since I did see their prequels.

So far just seen the first episode of Aldnoah.Zero, and I won't lie, I'm pretty pumped. It's Gen Urobuchi's (famous for Fate Zero, Madoka and Psycho Pass, though also did Suisei no Gargantia) mecha sci fi project and the first episode certainly starts things with a bang.

It could be the sci fi anime we've all been waiting for (as Khaaaan lamented the lack of anything decent over the past few years in the Recommendations thread). Of course, I also note that it's listed as only having 12 episodes. I'm really hoping that implies a season two. First episode was very fast paced - I'm hoping that was for effect and not due to rushing things. The quality of animation is a bit inconsistent too. Still, overall was really impressed with the first episode.

2. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Hanamonogatari's the only one I'm genuinely interested in since I'm a Monogatari fan; I plan to rewatch all of the others during summer.

But I'll probably watch Akame ga Kill since I follow the manga and SAO II since I read the light novel. Whether I watch anything else will depend on what I hear.

3. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Hanamonogatari and SAO II for sure. Zankyou no Terror and Aldnoah.Zero probably.

Surprised to discover a new Saint Seiya movie and even though it's CGI and retelling of the old series, I want to watch it anyway. Disappointed that for now Psycho-Pass only gets an edited version instead of a promised new season.

With the rest I will wait for people's opinions.

4. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Oh hey, more Space Dandy. Space Dandy was great, I can get behind more of that.

I might check out some other shows, I dunno. Guess I'll run on word of mouth for that.

5. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

I had the exact opposite reaction.

Way looking forward to more Space Dandy and Yamishibai, and the redo of Sailor Moon. There's some other stuff that looks interesting, but I'll wait for the internet to tell me it's worth it before diving in.

6. purple

purple Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Tokyo Ghoul's manga is pretty good, so I'm hoping the anime is too.

7. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'd love to watch some good Mecha on Mecha action, but I barely watched anything over the last months - not even Broken Blade.

8. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Personally, I thought the GGO arc was one of the better ones in the novels.

So far, I've watched the first episodes of SAO II, Aldnoah.Zero, Rail Wars!, and Akame ga Kill. None have disappointed me yet, but it's still early. I'm tempted to give Glasslip a shot as well given the studio that's doing it, but the premise doesn't exactly grab me.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  9. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

I'll be watching SAO II. Not because I think it'll be good, but because I want to see just how low the show can get. That said, I think I'd like it if it would stop taking itself so seriously. SAO just doesn't have good enough writing to be taken seriously. The characters are boring and one-dimensional, the protag is an overpowered "badass" without a personality, with women that fall all over him for no explained reason.

The only redeeming factor is the action. If they cut down some of the annoying character bullshit, and relied on their strength - the fight scenes - the anime would turn great, in my mind.

It's all about hiding weaknesses, and shoving strengths to the forefront. During SAO I, I was distracted from the great action scenes because everything else was just a mess.

Has a lot of potential though, so yeah, I'll watch SAO II.

10. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Akame Ga Kiru had a solid opening. Kinda. The MC seems different from the manga, but not in a horrible way. Sao 2 had a shitty opening imo, pretty boring and little action along with a new harem mate for Kirito. Kinda annoyed, yet completely expected.

11. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I know right. I seem to remember that his focus wasn't really on Leone's boobs that much. Maybe I just started ignoring fanservice/omg!Oppai moments.

12. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Well... Manga Tatsumi is clueless. This could either be a super annoying change or an ok change. Guess we will see.

13. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

After episode one, I actually find myself a bit more interested in SAO II than I expected.

I suppose part of it is to do with the different approach I'm taking with it. I went into the first series with huge expectations of an anime with lots of potential. And it completely wasted that potential away in both the SAO and ALO arcs. As Pure Infinity said, it's a mistake to go into SAO expecting a serious story.

Anyway, I'm going into the second season expecting nothing more than a fun, shallow action anime. And first episode has delivered that well enough.

Akame ga Kill seems like it could be fun, but what was with that pacing in the first episode? It was like it was on fast forward. Dialogue and scenes jumped all over the place like crazy. Hopefully it's just because they wanted the first episode to properly give a taste of what it's about, and had to rush it, because if it continues at this pace I think it'll be hard to get into.

Also, not sure I'm really impressed with how black and white this seems to be. At least, the first villains we've seen seem to be evil to the point of absurdity. Hope all the antagonists aren't like this.

14. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Practically all of the villains in this series are crazy evil. Off the top of my head, I can only think of two exceptions.

15. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Like cartoonishly evil.

16. Seraphim

Seraphim Third Year DLP Supporter

Do you guys know if there is an Anime website that has a list of your favorite anime that updates when the nect chapter comes out kinda of like the MyManga list on this website?

Also barakamon seems funny somehow I liked the first chapter

17. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Aldnoah.Zero episode one was pretty good. I am amused ~75% of MAL users think a certain somebody survived a missile strike. They do know who's writing this show, right?

18. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I'll definitely start with Hanamonogatari and Barakamon. Might try out Tokyo Ghoul and Akame Ga KILL too, but depends on whether I actually find the time.

19. coleam

coleam Death Eater

I'm well aware that Urobutcher is writing it. However, without going into the whole "no body = not dead" thing, I fail to see why the writers would handicap their show by killing that character. Without that character, it's pretty much forced to become a fairly basic mecha war story. Sure, you can still do things with it, but there's so much more that can be done if that character is still around. Not to mention that the death really wouldn't have much impact on the audience since there really wasn't any time to develop an attachment to the character. Plus, Urobochi is known for messing with the audience as well as killing characters.

20. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Actually, it's also a literary tactic / trope to show us a sympathetic character early (the decoy protagonist) and then kill them off. Aside from the shock value, you'll often see somebody who was initially like a side character be catapulted into prominence.

It's quite possible Slaine is going to become a major character, torn between his wish for peace, his Terran history (?) and his hatred for the terrorists (though I'm pretty sure they were catspaws of the Orbital Knights).

On the other hand, the princess surviving will feel like a cop-out.