1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Anita blake!

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by andiais, Apr 20, 2006.

1. andiais

andiais DA Member

Now, I reckon most people would say these are girls books, but for those who like fantasy horror, they're pretty damn good! But beware, mature readers only! Well, for anyone who can handle mature themes, such as sex, violence, lotsa death and shooting and fighting and some spirtual and magicy stuff too. They have everything!

2. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

Are not girl books! I loved the first one, but havn't gotter around to actually reading the rest. I give the first book 9/10.

3. andiais

andiais DA Member

I have all of the ones out in england, and the ones from her merry gentry series too. Love them all. The Anita Blake books just get better as you go through the series.

4. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

im making my way through the first one now...its pretty good so-far...i like this type of fantasy....with the vamps n witches n weres all mixed in with society...another similar one is the Hollows series by Kim Harrison...1st book is called Dead Witch Walking...excellent series....

I have all of the Anita Blake, Merry Gentry, and the first three of the Hollows series on e-book, pm me and ill send them to your e-mail

:cheers:

5. andiais

andiais DA Member

yeah, i have the first two hollows, dont know if there are more, but if they are, they dont have them my local waterstones. I'm not as enamoured with the hollows series, not sure why exactly, i just dont find them as readable.

6. apocalypsemeow

apocalypsemeow Professor DLP Supporter

Oooh...I love these books! I used to stay up really late reading the Anita Blake books (well, all of Hamilton's books, really) then I ran out. I used to have to go and wait for the books to show up at the library, and go get them then, rather than place holds. My mom works at the library, and picks up the holds...and I don't think she really approved, I couldn't let her actually read one though... :oops:
    Which of the books (in either series) did you like best?

7. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

iOT!.... apocalypsemeow... i must say...YOUR AVATAR IS EFFING AMAZING! *raises picket sign*... GRAMMAR RULES...er...GO BACK TO SCHOOL! YAY!

8. apocalypsemeow

Thanks! :D I like it very much...My friend showed it to me, and I thought it was quite amusing...especially since I often have a lot of issues with typos. (Just call me Typa) :)

9. andiais

andiais DA Member

hmmm, my favourite has to be incubus dreams, simply because the books get better as they go on. I'm looking forward to the next one immensely, although i could do without wussy richard, to be honest.

10. apocalypsemeow

I agree. I do not really like Richard as a character though. It may have been that I started with Cerulean Sins, where he was really just being a bastard, but I have never felt particularly warmly towards his character. I suppose he does provide some decent background stuff, but he is so unsure of himself...

11. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

What's Anita Blake?

Is it a children's book or something or fantasy?

Harry Potter's the only one I mess with, but out of curiousity, what is this?

12. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    I wonder the same thing as Chuck here, could somebody give me like a basic outline of stories and characters....I might read these if somebody could show me what they about.

13. apocalypsemeow

Heh...In no way is it a children's book...
    Anita Blake is the main character in a series of books of by Laurell K Hamilton. It is told from first person view, and Anita is this Vampire Hunter/Necromancer/Bounty Hunter(ish) woman. She starts out disliking the majority of the Vamps and other Weres (there are various types of Were creatures, the main ones in the books are Werewolves, and Were Leopards), but as she is drawn into their world more and more, she has more respect for them.

She does a lot of fighting, arguing, interactions with various vampires/werecreatures/etc. and something always ends up dead.
    She eventually ends up with one (er...sort of) the vamps, the king of the were leopards (she manages to be the queen), and is the fighter/enforcer type person for the werewolves. She has various romances with various characters, always ends up shooting something, killing something, gets hurt somehow, fighting something somehow--the basic elements in the stories, but other stuff happens too.

Anita Blake is a generally Kick-Ass woman, and the books have a decent amount of violence, shooting/fighting/etc, and sex sort of stuff.

14. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Very nice, I think I'll check it out.

15. andiais

andiais DA Member

Actually, they have huge amounts of sex and violence! Like I said, not for the kiddies, but they are amzingly well written, and the only shitty character is richard, and thats because he's actually well, written, he's just so annoyingly weak and ridiculously moralistic., but he serves a definate purpose. The books really are good.

16. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

GGLAAARRRGGHHH! To those of you who PM'd me for the books, the zipped package is 4 Mb in size and thus won't send from my inbox, so i'll upload it to my yahoo group later this evening (link in my profile)
    SorrY!