1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Antithesis by Wind Whisperer - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Skeletaure, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Antithesis
    Author: Wind Whisperer
    Rating: M
    Genre: AU
    Length: 37,670
    Chapters: 17
    Words: 103,187
    Updated: Sep 12, 2009
    Published: Jun 10, 2008

Pairings: None yet, author has said it won't be slash
    Summary: AU - Harry has a twin brother, Eric, the hailed child of the prophecy. When they go to Hogwarts, their world both polarizes and becomes more mixed up than ever before. In such a society, it's easy to stray from the "right" path...
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4313081/1/Antithesis

SPOILERS!!!!!

I have mixed feelings about this story.

When I started reading it, I was extremely pleased: a well-written "Twin Boy Who Lived" story which didn't overdo the evil!James and Lily that plagues that sub-genre. There was no abuse, nor even a massive amount of neglect - it was implied that Harry was merely seen as second best, but he was still a well-adjusted and looked after child.

However, more recently the story has taken a serious downturn. Not only are James and Lily suddenly full of uber-hate for their son, we've also seen the appearance of manipulative Dumbledore of the worst kind - Dumbledore being manipulative for the sake of the author wanting to make him manipulative, without thinking it through, leading to him just looking like an idiot - one thing that I think we can all agree Dumbledore isn't.

The author also took a bit of a cop-out with revealing Dumbledore's manipulations, having the traditional "Dumbledore scheming in his office" scene, rather than revealing them from Harry's point of view as the story progressed.

In addition, the story has moved far too fast. We're still in the first term of First Year, and Harry is beginning to "go dark" already. This should have been a gradual process that didn't truly get going until 3rd year or so.

However, despite this, it is still pretty well written, the characterisation is good (barring James, Lily and Dumbledore), Harry is at a good level of competence, as are his twin and the other characters, and the author's plot device involving Quirrell is both interesting and original.

Overall, an interesting and enjoyable read, providing you ignore odd moments of intense frustration at how it could have been great, had the author not given in to the cliches of the genre.

I would give it 3.5/5, but since I can't vote that I shall have to go for a 3.

Checked by Minion, January 04, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015
  2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Agree with Taure on most fronts.

Best thing about this story is that it's not overblown, like most Sibling-as-BWL stories. Lily and James are reasonably neglectful, Harry is reasonably childish and his brother is reasonably talented.

But yeah, things are moving too fast. I'd have preferred if the author skimmed over the younger years and caught up with an older Harry, like in Unsung Hero. Like this, we'll have to suffer through much manipulated and confused Harry before we see him throw off shackles of foolish oaths and everyone's expectations and truly starts to shine (if it ever happens at all).

3. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

It's a fairly well-written beginning to a story, but most of its virtue comes from the fact that Harry isn't a whimpering, abused child, and friends with Draco Malfoy. The fact that his twin has some measure of competency is also a bit of a relief. Another nice point is the take the author has on Quirrell, who is often a weak and downplayed character in the books. Here, he's shown to be competent and willing to use whatever resources he can to accomplish his goals. 4/5 so far, in my opinion.

4. MofoNofo

MofoNofo Seventh Year

I read this fic a couple days ago, and I found it okay. I guess I would rate it slightly better than most other Sibling-BWL fics.

Only problem I found was it moved too quickly within the last 3 or 4 chapters.

3/5

5. Renzhoulawyers

Renzhoulawyers Sent Back to India

fix up your link. Great way to partly spoil the story for me >.>

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  6. Skeletaure

High Score:
    If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read a review :p

I'll edit in a warning though.

7. Myst

Myst Headmaster

I think he means that you're linked to chapter 6, not chapter 1.

8. Skeletaure

High Score:

I'm afraid I have no idea what you're talking about. The link clearly goes to chapter one.

/Ninja.

9. shadetz x

shadetz x Second Year

The plot is not much different than most wrong BWL stories but the writing is better than a lot of them (which is not saying much considering how badly most are written). IMO this does not deserve a 4 or higher. If the author uses some originality then maybe I will consider giving the story more credit. But at this time I will only give 3/5.<O:p</O:p

10. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

I liked it. Because it wasn't a normal shit-twin fic. And it held my attention. Like the Davis/Snape/Eric/Parents interaction. It's not overblown although repetitive at times.

And please never mention Unsung Hero. What a fucking failure of a finish.

[​IMG]

11. Harsh

Harsh First Year

3/5 (4/5 if the author doesn’t abandon the story before fifth year)

Spoilers Below
    <O:p</O:p
    I agree with Taure’s comment about good characterization, for certain characters: Harry’s interaction with Lyrian Derrick (an OC Slytherin prefect that resembles Tom Riddle) and Quirrel has so much potential. I wonder if the life debt between Quirrel and Harry extends to Voldemort…if it does, I’d like to see the development and result of that plot device.
    <O:p</O:p
    The cliché of Slytherin! Harry in a Twin-Boy-Who-Lived fic annoys me; I’d really like to see a fic in which the twins are in the same house. Nevertheless, this author does a better job than most at realistically addressing Harry’s interaction with Slytherins who oppose his blood status and his light family. Heh, it’s the first time I’ve read about a Slytherin who’s helping Harry to kill the Potters…

12. No Earthly Clue

No Earthly Clue Third Year DLP Supporter

I liked it. It was a hell of a lot better than 90% of the crap, of the same genre, out there. I agree with Taure in that fact the story is moving far to fast. Harry's a first year, just now learning all about magic. And now is learning about dark magic. And I'm worried it might develop into a super Harry fic.

This story has a great originality, but still uses some cliches. And as long as it doesn't become to cliche. The story deserves a 3/5

13. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

Antithesis Acts

Eh. I usually like these even when Harry is half abused, but in this he's just totally despondent. I understand that the Durselys liked to 'beat him down' mentally but the neglect compared to his brother's spoiling sorta just left him lowly and lonely.

14. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

I liked it. A little fast paced, but I don't really mind, if it helps the author get to the good stuff. In my opinion, the real meat of the HP series didn't start 'till book 3. Hell, I actually think I might have preferred it if he would have done an introduction featuring the sorting and so on, then skipped a few years. There's only so much you can do when your main character is eleven years old, so it really limits the action.

But still, it's a good start. 3.5/5 from me.

15. Kaz Hirai

Kaz Hirai Squib

Just what I needed. Another "Harry is the forgotten brother" fanfic with a pointlessly meddling Dumbledore and ridiculously overpowered OCs in which Harry spends tens of thousands of words putzing around with his brother and classmates instead of doing anything demonstrably "dark" or growing to an age at which such behavior would be possible.

I was going to vote this two of five, but then I remembered the fact that Lyrian (Harry's mega-popular dark wizarding king of the house) is only fifteen years old.

One.

16. watersoft12

watersoft12 Looked into the void

QFT, but even with these flaws the writing's still good, and the rivalry between Eric and HP is realistic because of all the misunderstandings going on. I like it. Manipulative! Dumbledore is so boring, such a big cliche. Lyrian idea was just too idiotic. Without these two things the story woulda been 3/5

But 2/5 is it.

I'll still read the next chapter though and hope it improves.

17. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The story isn't original, but the writing is quite good. Yes, I agree - the Dumbledore bit is teetering on severe annoyance, and the Lyrian character is on the verge of becoming too annoying to handle. Still - this is better than essentially all "twin" stories out there, which by now I avoid without even bothering to read. It's good enough for me to keep reading, but not good enough for true Library status - I think Binning would work though.

3/5
    -J

18. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

Nothing special, 2.5/5

19. Lord Boufniak

Lord Boufniak Squib

Two, only because the writing doesn't suck. Having Harry talk about all the ways of Slytherin house in previous chapters, then throwing a life debt out as easy as he did kind of turns me away from it. Far too predictable for my taste, as well.

20. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

New Chapter Up (Not got time to read it. Will Later)