1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Ark: Survival Evolved

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Seratin, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    After a moment of madness/boredom flicking around the play store I bought this today. The download won't be ready for a few hours but I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with it so far?

From what little I've seen of it, it looks like Rust meets Jurassic Park which theoretically should be amazing. Supposedly there's a great Pokemon mod in progress out there but as I'm restricted to console I'll not experience it.

I'll report back after playing it for a while with my own thoughts but for now has anyone played it? What platform? Was it worth it in your opinion?

2. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've got two hours or so on it, and have only played offline, because I didn't have much spare time when I first got it. Played on PC

It's amusing, and you can muddle through the basics by yourself without too much difficulty. I'd maybe try giving the guides/youtube a quick glance through, just so you don't miss anything.

However the game is designed to be played with your guild, so there's a bunch of the high end stuff you can't really do solo - taming dinosaurs takes days, and that's if you're on every hour or so.

Also, things degrade if you don't log on (it's why I sort of stopped). So treat your first several characters like trash, because you're going to make new ones repeatedly.

Everything hates you, and will kill you. You're weak and squishy and all alone.

I did enjoy it, and will go back to it when I don't have anything else taking up attention, but it isn't one I'd want to dip in and out of.

3. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

I've probably put over 100 hours into the game. I'd recommend finding an unofficial server on either the island or the center with at least a 5x experience rate. You'll want to start of on the beach and work on building a bed first, so you can respawn at the same spot whenever you die. If you have any questions about the game or if you want some start up help from my clan, pm me.

Edit: PvE servers are also a lot better people wise. It's incredibly frustrating to spend weeks taming things and setting in, only to have some ass with a machine gun mow through your dinos.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  4. Seratin

High Score:
    What's the server situation on PS4 atm? I've seen playthroughs of people playing rust only to log back into the server and find their shit stolen and vandalized. I can only imagine how frustrating that is.

5. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

I'm not sure.

That's a relative common situation on the pvp servers, because people are dicks. As long as you lock your storage boxes, it isn't problem on pve.

6. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

The devs are shady as hell. It's still early access but they released a full price DLC for it.

7. Seratin

High Score:
    I noticed that. It's definitely suspect but I'm hoping it's just a case of them trying to regulate cashflow.

Played a little last night and probably because I downloaded the game rather than buying a physical copy, it's running at a glorious 10fps. Well, not quite but it's definitely laggy.

I think I'll eventually enjoy it once I sit down and sink a few hours into it but I can't see myself sinking hundreds of hours into it.

8. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I've got... 6 hours on it. From what little I played it was enjoyable, but it definitely felt like a game to play with friends.

Two of my WoW buddies actually have over 3k+ hours on it believe it or not, they love the game. One of them, she created a mod with a bloke called Blitz that has been the top ranking Mod for Ark this last week, called Scorched Earth +.

So yeah, while I have no real experience with the game myself, I've been keen to get into it but haven't been able to because of the Christmas/New Years break and I'm flat out at work atm. I definitely will eventually, those same WoW mates absolutely love it, but from talking to them you don't realise the full potentional of the game until you join a tribe and take 12+ hours to work your way through someone elses base.

If your looking for a fun survival game with dinosaurs you'll get your moneys worth, but that is not where this games full potential lays. Join a unofficial server, join a tribe, win.

Apparently.