1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Arrow

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by DarkAizen, Oct 11, 2012.

1. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

Tv show about Green Arrow from the Dc Universe. Pretty good in my opinion. I started watching this with very low expectations because I heard they were making it for young teens demographic a la Hunger Games.

But it was really really good, there's drama in it which I didn't care for, but the action and the fighting scenes were top notch.

I didn't read the comics, all I know about Green Arrow was from Young Justice and Justice League cartoons, and I didn't like that they probably
    make Speedy be his younger sister.

It also has a Gossipy Girl type relationship drama, but I watched it for the action and the show delivered.

Way better than the Cape!

2. chriar

chriar Third Year

Meant to record it last night but I forgot to. Hopefully it will be online tonight.

3. Warheart

Warheart Sixth Year

FYI, the latest speedy is a HIV positive girl. That was before the New 52 nonsense though. I have no idea what happened to Red Arrow or Speedy since Roy Harper is Arsenal again.

From what I hear, this GA is very closely tied to the New 52 version, with the shipwreck and all. Will give this a chance.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  4. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I watched it. The Laurel/dead-sister plot was gagworthy and the acting was sub-par, but it has potential to be good. Billionaire playboy turned crime fighter with a secretive/tortured past is tried and true.

5. Infidel

Infidel Auror

The opening lines of the pilot episode were terrible, probably because the viewer has to listen to it without any context.
    All I got from it was that there's a guy on an island who wants to fight corruption in a city. Over the episode, you get a small hint of Arrow's motivation. But it still left me wanting more.
    The show is much darker than the more mainstream superhero shows with more death. I hoped that it would give it a more realistic tone.
    But if the vigilante can kill the bad guy's henchmen without any remorse, why not kill the bad guy? Especially since he could get the money from Hunt without needing Hunt to validate the transfer.

I can understand Queen being able to manufacture his own arrows, but his competency with computers, wire transfers and his ability to build a wireless hacking device into an arrow is unbelievable. He just got back, after five years, from an island lacking any and all forms of technology. How could he be proficient in electronics or hiding his electronic trail? If his vigilantism started a year after his return, it would have been acceptable. A week later... Nope.

I hope the series improves. But for now, considering all the cheesy dialogues and plot holes, the best I can rate it is 2.5/5.

6. Warheart

Warheart Sixth Year

Watched the pilot. From this episode, it is evident that the writers' are trying to keep some of GA's comic root (Female speedy, Addict Speedy, GA's thing with Black canary) while keeping the tone of the show completely different. This Arrow is very significantly different from the Green Arrow that has entertained us for the last few decades.

That said, the pilot wasn't half bad for a TV show. There are many plot holes and inconsistencies (for example, where did Ollie get his bow on that desert island?), but this show is promising. Huntress and Black Canary are set to appear, so that got me hooked.

7. Betosa

Betosa Third Year

And how exactly did he get so proficient at fighting in a DESERTED island? or am I missing part of the story?

8. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Eh, I've heard a lot of theories about someone on the island training him. Seems extremely likely, considering we don't know fuck all about what happened there and the fighting skills, the bow, the weird box with Chinese symbols and the piece of paper he pulled out of it.

I've never read the comics but I thought it was okay. Nothing amazing, but interesting enough to keep watching. Have to agree with the Infidel though - a lot of GA's motivations are very vague at the moment.

9. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

He also learned Russian , so there must have been someone there to teach him

10. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    From what I remember about his origin, he fought these pirates or terrorists on the island or something. I was never into Green Arrow that much.

I can't say I'm keen on the idea of him killing people left and right. I'm familiar enough with GA to know that he was never supposed to be the Punisher. I'll wait and see how this one goes before investing time into it.

11. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Acting is really awful. Can't do it. I'll watch one more to see if there's improvement, but my hopes aren't high.

12. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

To be fair, he hasn't killed an amazing amount of people yet. He killed the people who kidnapped him - I suppose to protect his identity but that's about it from what I can remember. It's explicitly stated that the two goons he shot in the car park just ended up in the hospital so I assume he just is very good at disabling shots. There was that guy he threw into the room that got shot but I'm not sure that counts.

I don't understand how people aren't recognizing him though - the hood hardly hides the face, and the little bit of green face paint wouldn't make much difference when his face has been plastered all over the news lately.

13. Betosa

Betosa Third Year

He seems to have the superman/Clark Kent ability to not get recognized, should have dumped a mask around his head in my opinion, no matter it if isn't a part of the comic.

14. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Well. The fact that he blew out the lights might help him not get recognized.

When he starts fighting in daylight and people still can't put the pieces together, then they'll be reason to complain imo.

Didn't think the acting was all that terrible actually. First episodes are usually always slightly off as the actors try to fill their roles.

And I'm perfectly fine with him killing the bad guys.

That's not to say I loved the episode, but I'll definitely stay tuned in.

15. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Haha when I saw the detectives my first thought was, what are Dresden and Morgan doing there.

Quick question for anyone who has read the comics, why is it that he can beat up people in hand to hand just because he was stuck on an island? The arrows and jumping around I get he had to learn that to survive but hand to hand? where did that come up on the island?(I am ignoring smallville's olliver backstory)

16. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Actually, taking a peek at the episodes coming up, it looks like he's going to encounter Deathstroke sometime soon. Could be that he taught Oliver what he knows.

17. chriar

chriar Third Year

Alright so I only bought the first 3 issues to the new 52 Green Arrow and I don't remember anything about him being stuck on an island. Also I have got to say that I loved the series premier and will definitely be following this, though I am a bit concerned about what happened on that island

18. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

Watched it. Might be good, might not, we'll see. I just want to know why Deathstroke's mask was impaled on a stake on the island.

Fuckers got me good with that hook.

19. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I'm really rooting for Detective Lance. He has an understandable grudge against Oliver for cheating on one of his daughters with the other (which resulted in Sarah's death), now he has to put up with some nut in a Robin Hood get-up running around killing people.I really feel for the guy.

It helps that Paul Blackthorne is such a strong actor.

20. Kyouzou

Kyouzou First Year

I thought it was great, then again, I'm coming in with no Green Arrow experience, so a lot of the canonical plot holes will go straight over my head. I don't think he was alone on the island, not even remotely. If anyone saw the scars that they had given him, they were really straight and long, as if from a knife or a sword, not from falling on rocks or something. The bit with his mother at the end was particularly telling, I'm just waiting to see if his step-dad turns out to be complicit or one of those innocent by-standers.