1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Hawkin, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

So, the new chapter of The Sorting Cat's story and a recently discovered SG-1/A:TLA story has made me watch the whole anime series and I'm now looking for some very good fic.

Anyone has anything to recommend? I'm not shy of crossover as well as long as the xover universe is well explained (in case I'm not familiar with it).

2. Tylendel

Tylendel Seventh Year

Can you provide a link to the SG-1/A:TLA you've discovered, please ?

3. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

Morality Chain

In which Azula actually cares about Zuko but is otherwise canon. Well written, major complaint is that it is way too canon rehashy.

Three Families

The exact opposite problem Morality Chain has, this is way too expansive. YMMV on whether that's a bad thing or not, but this is long with a heavy focus on Spirits and world building and is highly complex. Still, if you can follow along with it it's very good and it has great characters and fight scenes. Highly AU, Highly recommended.

Bringing Out the Blue

When Zuko rescues Aang from Zhao disguised as the Blue Spirit he's never discovered. He begins to question himself as he spends more time with Aang and his friends. Also very good.
    For crossovers:

Transit the Sun

A Buffy crossover. Buffy gets sucked into A:tLA via portal. Short and incomplete, but still good.

By the author of Three Families, it's a fusion with Mass Effect. Highly world buildy and imo much better than Three Families. Great characters and fight scenes.

Displaced Nobility

If you don't mind reading on spacebattles, this is very good. It's a Mass Effect crossover where the Spirits send a 6 year old Azula into ME. All that time away from Fire Nation shenanigans has left her a little more socially adjusted than canon, but over all she's still herself. Incredibly short, but it's one of the stories I most look forward to updates of.

4. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

The Dragon's King Temple
    Zuko and Toph get transported through a stargate and meet up with SG-1. It's not much action pack, but I like the realistic take the author has taken regarding language barrier and element deprivation, etc.

@TMNT: Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look them up!

Just realized I posted the this thread in the wrong forum. If a mod wants to move it where it belongs, greatly appreciated.

5. Panther

Panther Third Year

Are there any stories where Aang didn't run away after he was told he was the Avatar?

6. oghmanian

oghmanian First Year

Avatar: Last Firebender By: clockworkchaos In a timeline where the Avatar was never frozen, Azula must escape the Fire Nation as it falls to the armies of the Air Empire. Can she possibly take on the Avatar and save the world?
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Adventure - Azula - Chapters: 17 - Words: 127,106 - Reviews: 240 - Favs: 270 - Follows: 252 - Updated: Dec 21, 2009 - Published: Oct 10, 2008 - id: 4586900

It's Azula centric and abandoned, but it does have an Aang who didn't run. Probably more of a guilty pleaure/almost recommended from what I recall.

Also this thread has some other good recs for Avatar fics.

7. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

I'm not sure how this wasn't posted yet because it's probably one of the best Avatar fics ever:
    Object Lesson
    Basically, Azula joins the Gaang during book 3 and it's the amazings.

8. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Any where Aang stays as the good guy? Or at least, is still the protagonist?

Edit: In fact, scratch that. I'll take any piece that isn't a crossover and has Aang as the protagonist instead of the fire siblings.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  9. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Ugh, I got 7 chapters into this fic and couldn't continue. It was good quality writing, but the author gets way too strung up on the particulars. Just an overload of information. The story has only taken place over the period of a few days yet I've read 60000 words so far. The pacing is atrocious. She switches between viewpoints rapidly and creates random OC's, including a mad scientist Gary-Stu Go'auld. SG1/ATLA cross? Not so much. The Avatar portion of the story is minimal at best. Zuko and Toph get barely any screen time after they reach Earth. They're basically left to the sideline while Carter and Heather and the others basically dissect what they know about bending and how it works. This reads more like Taure trying to give us a lecture on magic, rather than a cohesive story. It's mildly interesting, sure, but if the plot doesn't move forward with all the players involved, it gets fucking boring.

10. kostigan

kostigan Temporarily Banhammered

Somewhere in the mountains of the Balkan peninsula
    Geography Lessons: A Young Man's Education

Basically, it describes Zuko's off-screen attempts to get laid during the course of the show. It's both hilarious and a good smut.

Running Interference

The war is over and now Aang must face both puberty and people's expectations of him repopulating the world with air benders. It really made me laugh more then a few times. The Gaang is very much in character.

And if you're into Aang/Azula like I am, you should check this guy's stories. He writes them best.

I also second these two.

11. fire

fire Order Member

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5187842/
    AU: In a different world, can a mysterious and ancient Order possibly defeat a ruthless Fire Lord? No. They're utterly screwed, actually. A proper For the Want of a Nail this time around.

The best Avatar fanfic, to me. It features Piandao as the main character - if you like intelligent, witty, active protagonists that are nonetheless flawed, you'll love the story.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3545748/1/Blood-Silk-and-Steel
    AU. In a world where Sokka and Katara's father died instead of their mother, we follow the exploits of Sokka, a dark perversion of his former self, as he willingly enters the world of intrigue and deception that is the Fire Nation.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5812719/1/Damascus
    When the fate of the world rests upon the shoulders of one person, best to hope that it isn't a blind, chi-crippled child...

12. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Aang centric, please. Something, anything.

13. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

See Behind the Mask
    By: Tomas the Betrayer
    Ambition may burn bright, but it would take a fire much darker to ignite a 100-year old genocidal conflict. Burdened with his family's secret shame, Iroh sets forth on the eve of the final battle to save his loved ones from inhuman evil.
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Drama/Spiritual - Iroh, Toph - Chapters: 7 - Words: 84,718 - Reviews: 30 - Favs: 50 - Follows: 10 - Updated: Jun 16, 2009 - Published: May 12, 2009 - Status: Complete - id: 5055912

14. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

There are really no Aang centered fics out there? I can't find any that looks even remotely interesting.

15. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I doubt it. Aang just isn't all that interesting as a character for most people, it seems.

16. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He's an idealistic coward for most of the series. Running from his problems, ignoring the wisdom his friends give to him. I was actually super disappointed with the ending of the original series Deus Ex Machina getting Aang out of his problem when it comes to having to Kill The Firelord by ass-pulling 'steal his bending' out of nowhere.

Bleh. Aang is the worst part about the entire series, despite the fact that he's the main character.

17. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

I really enjoyed the way they handled the ending considering it was a kids show. It was nice to have the whole murder thing addressed.

18. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I'll grant you it's far from being the best fic ever. But it got me interested in the ATLA verse so I won't complain.

Thanks for the other recommendations! I'll look them up.

19. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Three flaws of the Avatar series, IMO:

1. Unlikeable Protaganists
    2. Bad Romance Stories
    3. Deus Ex Machine Series Endings.

20. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Huh. While I loathe Korra, I quite liked Aang. In fact, he was one of the few people I liked in the original series.
    And he is the protagonist. I grow tired of seeing Fire siblings everywhere.