1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Hawkin, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    True that. Though I actually quite like Korra. I haven't watched the new series second season at all, though. I find her fighter's attitude far more enjoyable than Aang's cowardly attitude.

The Romance in the second series. is also better than the first series. Though that isn't exactly saying much. Nor is it far better. It's funny, I'm always rooting for the romantic underdog stories in this series. I rooted for Zuko/Katara in the original, and I'm rooting for Bolin/Korra in the new series.

My problem with the second series is the overarching plot and the seeming nerfs to benders. They really fucked over the world. Katara could probably slap Season-one Korra around. That's just sad.

It's funny, I'm rather the other way around. I like Korra, but I couldn't stand Aang. Korra isn't perfect, but she's a lot more mature and a lot less annoying to watch. She's a more realistic character, I think, as well.

Zuko is by far the most interesting character that's part of the younger Generation. Of course, everyone knows Iroh is the best character in the entire series, full stop, but Zuko and Azula are actually interesting. Azula is damaged and evil, but still pretty fun to read and write about.. and Zuko is just Zuko. So much potential for so much awesome. But, like Harry Potter, we like to see him struggle and fight and suffer to get there.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  2. Calis Clayr

Calis Clayr Seventh Year

One of the smallest countries in the world
    -snort-

Season 2 might change your mind about that.

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I would argue both of those accounts massively. In fact, that was the reason I couldn't watch more than a couple episodes of tLoK.

4. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

I believe you meant Asami/Korra. :awesome

And I'd have to disagree in regards to romance. I think Mai/Zuko outstrips anything Korra's put out.

I can buy it as a natural degradation of combat-oriented skills in a time of peace an technological advancement. Not everyone can be the Gaang or Ozai's Angels after all.

I have genuinely seen nothing that shows me Korra is either mature or less annoying. I might dislike Aang for his refusal to deal with Ozai, the way he handled the letter from their dad, the deus ex machina that is the Lion Turtles and his hypocrisy regarding the taking of life, but Korra comes off far worse for how she treated Bolin, Mako, Asami, Tenzin, her father, basically everyone with a speaking role...

+1

5. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

I watch it for Tenzin, not Korra. :3

6. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The only thing I objected to about TLA's series finale is that the Lion Turtle thing and Energybending weren't given proper foreshadowing or anything. I don't object to Aang's decision. It might've been better if Aang went out to seek the Lion Turtle after hearing about it to find an alternate way to end the war rather than just getting hypnotized out there or whatever happened.

7. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

FWIW, there was a scroll the group looked at in Wan Shi Tong's library that depicted a lion turtle with a person (petitioner?) standing before him, but yeah, the chi bending kinda came out of nowhere.

[​IMG]

It's neither here nor there, but it would have been cool if they showed the lion turtle that could give the power of energybending during the Wan episodes.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  8. Darth Disaster

High Score:
    I've heard things like this before, it's another reason I haven't gotten around to watching season 2.

9. CrippledGod

CrippledGod Banned

I understand canon Aang had a lot of flaws but shouldn't that make people want to write more fanfiction about him instead of less? Rather like weak/mediocre canon Harry and the proliferation of super Harry fanfiction.
    I haven't seen more than one episode of TLoK, I saw a teenage female protagonist, realized that the potential for love triangle drama was strong indeed and proceeded to avoid it like the plague.
    Teenage romance I can stand in small quantities but since Twilight, love triangles make me near homicidal.

10. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Okay, haven't seen the legend of Korra further than the episode where Korra gets swallowed by that spirit after her cousins chase her, so, my views on her will only go until then. In case she changes drastically after that point, will revise my opinion.

Aang and Korra both have their strengths and weaknesses. For me, Aang was always just "meh", while I was watching the original show. I never hated him, nor was I annoyed by him and I didn't resent his story lines, in fact, I liked them for the most part. At the same time, I have never, ever watched Avatar to see Aang's story. I watched it for basically every other character. So yeah, I much, much preferred Sokka, Katara, Toph, Iroh, Zuko, Azula and so on. All of them were, to me, more interesting.

That is, until Korra. I quite liked the idea of Korra, the more aggressive and headstrong female Avatar and yeah, for the most part of season 1 of Korra, I did like her struggle. Nonetheless, she is a weaker character than Aang, who was way more interesting. On top of that, the side cast is not nearly as good as well. Bolin was kinda enjoyable for a while but season 2 destroyed his character for me. Mako I hated since the beginning and he became douchier and douchier with every episode. I hate the romance subplots, which were rushed, contrived and ill-handled. Asami seems more like a character idea rather than a fully realized character. She has potential but so far, she really isn't more than the second girl, who happens to be a sort of opposite to Korra, being more refined, polite and a non-bender, to Korra's more aggressive, impulsive and avatar-ness. I like her, I just wish she were given more to do. Lin I thought I was going to like but I didn't. Overall, I find the fact that Toph "Let's Break Some Rules" Bei Fong founded a police-unit so similar to the Dai Lee quite ridiculous, to be honest and horribly out of character. I get that she become more mature and mindful of rules but that she were to create a unit to police the city is quite meh, especially considering that she seems to have raised her daughter with the notion that no one is above the laws, which seems really inconsistent. Maybe I dislike Lin because of that, since it hurts Toph's character. Especially since one can't help but compare her to Toph and she is found severely lacking. Appa and Momo were such amazing concepts that they pretty much became characters with personalities. Compare that to Naga and the Fireferret. Naga might just as well be a motorcycle and I think the only time she got something to do was when she growled at the judge. The fireferret is just there in the background and I don't think the show would lose anything if it didn't show up any more. Doubt one would even notice.

Pretty much the only characters that were truly interesting and likeable was the Airbending family and Aang's other children. True, season 2 had its ups and downs with them as well, but overall, I quite like them. They are interesting, flawed, funny, complex and likeable. You know, everything the season 1 cast was, just without the depth they gained through 3 seasons as primary characters while the airbending family are secondary characters at best.

So, overall, the cast is lacking, the villains are not even close, and while I did resent the deus ex machina solution of energybending (I generally hate it when characters get a "get out of jail free card" for moral dilemma's), I do think that Aang, while not the most interesting character, was a better written one.

On the other hand, I think Korra leads herself much better for fanfiction. Aang is kind of limited, since his very conception makes it hard to deviate much from his canon path, being more or less a pacifist and a monk. Korra, however, can be changed much easier. I do think the biggest problem of Korra is that she is held back too much by her own morals. I would rather have followed a Korra, who does think the Avatar is above the rules, who thinks that she is the de facto leader of the earth, simply by the virtue of being the Avatar. I hate that she jumps through hoops by having to clear her every action via the bureaucracy, like, pitching her requests to the president and whatnot.

It is no surprise that Zuko, Katara, Toph, Azula and Sokka got that many fanfics devoted to them. You can just do a lot more with them than you can do with Aang. Same with Korra, really.

11. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

So are there any LoK fanfics worth reading?

12. kostigan

kostigan Temporarily Banhammered

Somewhere in the mountains of the Balkan peninsula
    The Night Spirit By Neutral Ground

Also known as Batsami Begins. In the aftermath of Amon's rebellion, Republic City is left in ruin. The question the Equalists posed was never answered, and now crime and war are surging. A new evil is rising, and the old protectors of Republic City cannot stop it. Now is the time for Asami Sato to take up the mantle of the Batwoman, and show this city that it's still worth saving.

It's a neat fic and you won't believe who's filling the role of Alfred.

13. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Just the one, huh? Sad. After Nemrut's post and Young Asian Girl's Amon rant, I had a hankering. But anyway, my attention is currently being held captive by:

Embers
    Dragon's fire is not so easily extinguished; when Zuko rediscovers a lost firebending technique, shifting flames can shift the world... Follows "Theft Absolute".
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Adventure/Family - Zuko, Iroh - Chapters: 89 - Words: 747,928 - Reviews: 7,251 - Favs: 3,347 - Follows: 2,649 - Updated: Nov 15 - Published: Sep 24, 2009 - id: 539850

14. Darth Disaster

High Score:
    Have you read all of that one, Knight504? I was a big fan for a long time, but got bored of it after it started to drag on and on near the more recent chapters.

If you're still reading and you've read it all, maybe I'll pick it up again.

I have to admit though, the first 2/3rds of it are very good. Though a bit wanky about Zuko. I like the character and all, I do, so it's not a big issue. But if you're not a Zuko fan, you probably won't like the fic. Despite the fantastic worldbuilding, interesting characterizations and unique plot.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  15. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Chapter 56 currently.

Where Zuko and his refugees had settled down on the volcano, named their settlement Dragons' Wings and are about to negotiate with their Air Temple neighbours.

16. Darth Disaster

High Score:
    That's about as far as I got before I started skimming very heavily, and then eventually gave up entirely. Hmmm. Maybe I'll give it a re-read. Thanks for reminding me it exists.

Because despite the fact that I'm not a big fan of where it was headed when I started, it's worth a read if only for the first 2/3rds. I'm going to officially join in on his recommendation. Especially for Zuko Fans. But that's not all there is to the fic. The writer is a major history buff and sociology wonk, so you can expect and enjoy a LOT of enjoyable worldbuilding in a fandom that frequently lacks it.

17. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

I am up to date on embers and love it. yes you do need to like zuko to like it. But everyone on the gaang gets character development, aang and sokka more in the last third than earlier.

18. CBH

CBH Sixth Year

Tried reading Embers a while back, wouldn't recommend it unless you have nothing else to read. I really wanted to like it, but eventually it just devolves into side characters preaching about how great Zuko is over and over. He is one of my favorite characters, but it got to be way too much and I found myself skimming thousands of words to get through it.

There's also a fairly large dose of Gaang bashing, especially Katara. Its pretty much without basis, if I remember right. The two end up in the caves at the end of Book 2 same as the show except she randomly decides to hate him instead of giving him a chance like she did in cannon.

19. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

It's not really random given the worldbuilding. I think it was said that because some mental conditions are often hereditary the Water Tribes came to believe that evil people have evil kids. Zuko is Ozai's kid and a descendant of Sozen so she assumes he's evil.

20. Tylendel

Tylendel Seventh Year

I do not like Embers. I was not able to read more than twentish chapters. This is why:

The worldbuilding is great; the existence of differences between the Four Nations (feudalism for Earth, community for Water and Loyalty for Fire) is amazingly well done. More so, the influence of the spirit adds a new dimension to the importance of the Avatar.

I’m not qualified to judge the grammar, but I thought it was good. Finally, the author seems to have a well thought plot. Sadly, that a plot as many flaw in my opinion.

[FONT=&quot]1) [/FONT]Zukobation: I have nothing against Zuko, I like him has a character. However, in this story, he can do no wrong. The circumstance surrounding his exile seems to justify all the misdeeds or mistake he has done and the reason of why he saved Aang is put aside concentring just on the fact that he saved him.

[FONT=&quot]2) [/FONT]Persecuted Fire Nation: I can’t buy into that. I accept that, because of a lack of cultural understanding, Kioshy made a mistake by asking the Fire Nation to obey only one ruler; however, Roku shouldn’t have ignored the consequence of her decision. Un Sozin’s time, based on canon, the Fire nation live a Golden Age, leading the Fire Lord to believe the Fire Nation most shares this unparalleled prosperity with the other nations by dominating them. I haven’t read anything that seems to change this fact outside “Loyalty”.

My other problem with the Fire Nation is the sacrament of the excused “I was simply following order”. This is not acceptable in our society. If you follow an order knowing that the order is wrong, you are responsible for what you do, even if the consequence of disobeying is death. (I can understand if people disagree my view on this point since it’s a matter of personal opinion).

[FONT=&quot]3) [/FONT]North Pole: it doesn’t matter that the Fire Nation killed the moon, only that the Avatar destroyed the Fire nation fleet with the help of the Ocean in retaliation. Fire Nation can do no wrong, it seems.

[FONT=&quot]4) [/FONT]The Bridge: the Avatar is here only to protect the humans from the spirits. Ignoring that fact that the Avatar is here to ensure peaceful coexistence between the humans and the spirits. Allowing the humans to kill spirits but not allowing the spirit to retaliate is not keeping the balance.

In canon, the Fire Nation soldiers and vessels were destroyed because they did not bow, showing respect, in front of the Ocean while the Water tribe did. There lack of respect and killing the moon caused their death as much as the Avatar.

[FONT=&quot]5) [/FONT]Aang lack of spiritual awareness: I found this ridiculous! Aang is an Air Nomad and an airbender, coming from a culture that pride itself on spiritual awareness and bending an element close to the spiritual world. Add to that the ease he has to enter the Avatar state and no one can say that he is not spiritually aware. He should have been able to feel that something was wrong in Ba Sing Se, even if he did not understand what he is feeling.

[FONT=&quot]6) [/FONT]Aang ignorance of others customs: Aang travelled a lot when he was younger and his education, as an Air Nomad, should have prepared him to deal with those differences. In canon, his main strength is his ability to understand and accept cultural differences without judging them. He never considered the Fire Nation of today responsible for the crime of the past, because that’s not what the monk taught him, why should he do so in this story? I have read no reason that I find credible.

[FONT=&quot]7) [/FONT]Katara bashing: unjustified. Even if Katara strongly believed that the community is responsible for the crime of its member, she should also believe that it’s the community responsibility to right the wrong before outsider interfere. As such, she should be open, in my opinion, to listen to the members of the Fire Nation who rebel against their community and are trying to correct the wrong. I found no valid reason that I can believe justifying Katara behaviour.

[FONT=&quot]8) [/FONT]Aang bashing: mainly because Zuko can do no wrong. No civilized civilization would consider a promised made under threats to be valid, and yet, everyone his shocked to learn that Aang did not simply follow Zuko back to the Fire Nation to be held prisoner... And for all the talk about being open to other cultural beliefs, no one mention how the Air Nomad considers such thing (probably because they do not know).

The author justifies Zuko action because that is how Fire Nation does things, but do not make the same argument for Aang. He may be the Avatar, but he is not trained yet, so you cannot hold him to the same standards as the past Avatar.

The author show the reader to believe that Fire Nation culture is superior to all others while saying that they are equal.

Anyway, those are some of the reason why I can’t continue to read this fanfiction. I tried to jump thirty chapters to see if it got better, but it did not.