1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Basium1's Challenge Number One

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by basium1, Oct 17, 2013.

1. basium1

basium1 Second Year DLP Supporter

Challenge One

Summary: Herpo the Foul's works weren't as legible as they could have been and Salazar had to bastardize his work on Horcruxes to do something similar to leave some company for his basilisk or something lame like that.

He left behind a shade in the Chamber of Secrets which would rest for at least one thousand years or until his basilisk needed him to help in a battle. [I dunno if either is a good reason]

Enter Harry Potter, who has just slain his basilisk with his rival's sword. Harry is saved by... :confused:

By the end of the ordeal Salazar Slytherin decides to:

A) Enter Harry's body and study the world as it is now [rehash featuring a moody Harry since Salazar was exiled from Hogwarts for a reason]

Or

B) Train Harry some ancient and forgotten magic as a deus ex machina end to Voldemort [rehash with an almost independent Harry]

Or

C) Help him make a new basilisk... it's something that you need hands for... [good for a world building one-shot.]

Rules:

1. Takes place after the battle, right after Harry is healed, not during because that would be a dick move by the author.

2. Fawkes will be colder due to the active presence of a dark wizard in his mind

3. Slytherin has a limited amount of control over Harry's body

4. Harry already has a sense of self, I'd appreciate it if he were kept the same without some mind meld going on where Slytherin's memories overtake his. They are two different people.

5. I doubt that Slytherin was a pedophile [mpreg fanboy maybe], so please no comments on his year mates having good figures or pushing Harry to have sex with them. (at least in the beginning)

6. YES, SLYTHERIN KNOWS WHAT A WAND IS, THE OLLIVANDER'S WAND SHOP HAVE BEEN AROUND SINCE 382 BC! It shouldn't be that odd to him, so no staff please.

OPTIONAL

7. I'd like to see some rituals done, I have an idea:

The ritual that makes your house Ancient and Noble by magic-It sacrifices the users ability to use magic but will give someone the caster willingly chooses an ability chosen by magic itself, an occasional sacrifice will be taken throughout the bloodline. Modern day witches and wizards call them squibs.

8. I'd prefer Harry paired with an older female since Slytherin will probably have the ability to influence him in a way that is not direct, like his dreams, and the conversations they share will surely make him more mature.

9. Harry becomes a bit of a bookworm because of Slytherin. I imagine that he was an interesting professor since he was the most cunning and knew that if a child enjoys their lessons then they like to attend their lessons and complete their course work.
    -
    That is all I have so far, anyone can take this up and I reserve the right to take it up once my writing is up to par.

Yes, I am too lazy to bother with it and I doubt that I could pull it off as my writing is now. Please let me know if you're taking it up so I can stalk you until you post it. :awesome

2. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

Why would Fawkes get bitchy about Harry having a dark wizard in his head? He spent most of OotP with a dark wizard in his head. The only person who got chilly about it was Dumbledore.

Phoenixes are birds, people. Magical birds, sure, but they're still animals. Nowhere in canon are they presented as avatars of "light magic" or whatever. Hell, Fawkes donated the feather that went in the wand of the Dark Lord himself.

3. Punt

Punt DA Member

To be honest, this idea seems a bit generic to me. I wouldn't give it a read unless it was written by one of the better authors here.

4. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I say have Salazar take over Harry instead. Would be much funner to read. I would like to see how Salazar would work in the new world he's in using Harry's body (and imitating Harry's behavior perfectly to not set anyone off to who is really in the body until the end). Taking Harry's memories, and using them as his acting as Harry.

Edit: When I say "take over", Harry doesn't have any control and he's no longer living.

Edit2: And him taking Harry's memories does NOT change Salazar's character at all, he just takes his memories and uses them.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  5. basium1

Well, Potter Law and all...

But I just want to see this done, it's been bothering me and won't go away. I wanted to explore the Horcrux idea further. I was thinking: are there other methods that don't involve killing and severing your soul to pieces to leave behind a legacy?

I thought of it as leaving behind a genuine shade, since Salazar could have just heard rumors of the Greek wizard's works or something...

It's like a ghost, but the shade was left on purpose for a purpose. My idea revolved around "maybe magic could take the will of the master to that extreme".

As I said, I just want to see this done, I'll gladly give some tips of what ideas I had in the counter-fit Horcrux thing. Also, it never occurred to me that maybe Harry won't be saved at all.

It is up to the author what happens, since it will be their story, the rules are just a guideline for you to follow.

6. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Fawkes keeps trying to crap on Harry's scar, to 'expunge the evil'.

Harry becomes paranoid when going to bed, because he's woken up with a phoenix's backside pointing at his forehead several times now.

Dumbledore is confused why Fawkes is now always stealing his bran flakes.

7. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Reminds me of that movie 'The Host'. Not that I'm a huge fan, but I did like the way they portrayed the woman being stuck inside and slowly being able to gain influence over her more dominant host. 'Course, it was hopelessly romanticized and only briefly entertaining, but the idea did have some merit. I've always thought it would be interesting to read a fic where a similar effect happened with Harry's horcrux coming alive and pretty much doing what it pleased, until Harry could summon the strength to make a difference. Doing the same with Salazar seems like it has potential.

8. someone010101

someone010101 High Inquisitor

I had a somewhat similar idea where Salazar Slytherin was cursed with an illness that was slowly killing him and did some ritual that would kill him, but keep his soul, whole, around for revival. 1000 years afterwards, some time between Harry slaying the Basilisk and Dumbledores death, Dumbledore decides the chamber of secrets may hold some secrets and bears investigation.

So Dumbledore (and Harry) go down and Dumbledore discovers a hidden mechanism that is activated by spilling blood; knowing Voldemorts blood fetish he activates it. Dust gathers from all around and Salazar revives, Dracula style, beneath his statue.

In my idea Salazar would be focused on leaving behind a legacy, a fingerprint in the world, the way artists are often immortalized. He would be immensely proud of Hogwarts and his house. He'd get a teaching post at Hogwarts, probably DaDA, because we have to keep him around somehow. In my idea Salazar would dislike Voldemort since he would see him as a barbarian disgrace to his name. He would be very interested in the Dark Arts, which would be the magic of mind and soul; kind of like the Patronus Charm, just darker.

(My idea mixed that with indy!Harry, Greater Good!Dumbledore, manipulative everybody and the Lord of Askabans return.)
    ---

Regarding the original idea, I think it would be fun to focus on Salazars culture shock and his brilliance (honestly, all Founders were brilliant). I don't think Harry should become a bookworm, since thats cliched. One could have Salazar constantly critizice the textbooks or have Harry get sick of reading history books over and over again.

The plotkai could use some smothing over, maybe Salazar got cursed to live as a shade until the last of his blood died and with only the Basilisk for company. Harry killing the Basilisk somehow release Salazars shado to him

9. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

This is all the information required to instantly judge your idea as fucking stupid. Way to channel eight years ago. The fandom has somewhat evolved since the bad old days. Nobody's writing to ape RossWrock or Rorschach's Blot anymore.

10. basium1

I imagined Slytherin being as beloved a teacher as the other Founders, he has to have some gimmick to make it so. Though there is no evidence in canon they must have been good with children to even think of making a school in the first place.

I'd say that Slytherin could make Harry interested in knowledge before the summer's end and Harry will not look up random facts but rather look in on things that interest him.

To me that's not being a bookworm, but rather a kid that's trying to get better at what they like.