1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Batman vs. Superman

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Anyone else get the impression of Bats/WW being a thing in a sequel

2. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

As a DCAU fan, I sure hope so :p

3. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I didn't absolutely love it, but I liked it. The action scenes were great and pitted them against each other in a realistic way.

The one glaring problem I had with the film, never mind the Batman killing thing (which I can see him doing after Robin is murdered and after 20 years of this shit), is Jesse Eisenberg. I was wary about his casting, but not unduly biased. If he was good, I wouldn't have minded. But his entire take on Lex Luthor is atrocious.

Lex Luthor is not a slightly more sane Joker. He's just not. He's the head of a multibillion dollar international organization, and he's not a child. Luthor is a sociopathic genius whose public persona is carefully cultivated in order to avoid being arrested. Lex Luthor would never allow himself to be arrested so easily, nor would he give them cause to arrest him. Eisenberg's portrayal of Luthor is just plain offensive to me.

On the other hand, Hans Zimmer almost makes up for him. Almost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S176AKQhcCk

4. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

It's a bad movie, but I had fun. In the end, it's painfully average.

That's probably same as most people say. And yeah, even though batman killed, I was looking at Dark Knight Returns as one possible inspiration, which makes a bit more sense, if is still somewhat out of character. In the end, I liked most of the cast in their roles.

Affleck did good.

Controversially, I figure I'd perhaps like it more if I went to see it a second time. But I don't want to pay for a second showing, because it doesn't feel like it's worth that. So yeah. Maybe when it comes out as dvd or something.

5. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just got back from an evening showing and I have to say... I kinda liked it.

Went into it with rather low expectations, given that Man of Steel was just plain boring beyond the few action sequences. I thought Zack Snyder had burned out. Am glad to be wrong.

Now, I'm not going to heap the movie with unblemished praise. I think the movie and consequently the entire DCEU shot itself in the foot by having Superman die in the second freaking movie. This is something that should have been saved for Justice League Part 1, when the audience has had time to get invested in the characters and the overarching plot. Have Superman die then and the JL lose the first fight, crushed by their leader's death before staging a comeback in time for Part 2 finale. So, pretty huge fuckup there.

But if they already went there, I thought, okay, NOW have the League lose to whatever Big Bad is coming and revive Supes for the final confrontation. But nooooooo, instead they practically pull a Star Trek Into Darkness by suggesting Supes is already on the way to resurrection in the very last shot of the movie. Fuckup number 2.

Also, it is a pretty long movie at 2,5 hours and the volume of stuff packed into it doesn't give time to set things up in a way they deserve.

Now onto why I like it. I suppose the biggest reason is that I'm not a comic book reader, therefore I have no previous expectation of what certain things should be like. Bats killing the shit out of people? Okay, I'm game. And it wasn't just thrown in because, to add grittiness. Three things: "the joke's on you" costume, "criminals are like weeds" line and Bat's perpetually grim stare. All of this strongly suggests that Bats has seen some shit and maybe decided, fuck it, I'm pulling the weeds with the roots and scorching the ground they grew on. We're told he's had a 20-year career as Bats already. That's why guns, breaking various bodyparts and throwing people into walls doesn't bother me. I like it. In my eyes, it creates a coherent whole.

Lex's last scene suggests that he may have been working for some extraterrestrial supervillain, hence why he seemed off. Because he did. Like he was missing a few pieces from his chess set, like maybe he was being controlled or coerced somehow. So, I accept how he was portrayed, hair and all.

WW's entrance was pretty epic. The effects were good. The fight scenes were badass, Martha's rescue being my favorite. I thought Bats in power armor was a bit slow for my liking, though I understand the tank approach when fighting a dude who can take a nuke to the face. With the armor off, he was still like a bull in a china shop, but in a way I liked. If I were to compare this Bats to Bale's, then Bale is a ninja, Batfleck is a sledgehammer. And it's hammer time. Batfleck was the best thing about the movie. Though the Batcave was just crazy. More like BatTech HQ.

And the score. Am I crazy or was the music awesome or what.

If some things seemed like asspulls (for example Bats flipping from "you're not a man" to "I'm a friend of your son's" so quickly, though the motivation behind it wasn't outright bad) it was because again, they tried to do a ton of things with this movie and had to cram it together really tight. This probably should have been two movies. Or three. A MoS sequel, Bats setup and then BvS. Oh well. DC is anxious for a slice of the superhero pie.

Overall, it's a fun movie, worth seeing on the big screen. DC has a long way to go if they ever want to reach Winter Soldier quality, but this isn't a disaster many thought it was going to be. I'm not gonna say it's average, because I enjoyed it, but I can't say it's good when Iron Man/Hellboy 2/The Dark Knight/Winter Soldier exist.

6,5/10

Edit: I forgot. Timetraveling Flash was WTF out of nowhere and Bats' dreams were weird as fuck, especially the desert one. What were those demon things? And the painting? Did Luthor Sr work for the Big Bad and draw his son into it? Googling major Justice League villains gives Darkseid, is that it?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  6. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    While I'm not personally bothered, there's some pretty big spoilers in that post mate.

Edit: Oops. And yeah, movie thread, but it's only been out four days /shrug

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  7. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's the movie thread so I figured spoilers wouldn't be a problem, but alright, you have a point. Edited. Also, wrong Scott.

8. vinais

vinais Second Year

Saw it yesterday - Enjoyed it; definitely not as bad as the reviews are saying. Loved the Batman fight scenes and geeked out when the trinity get together. The background score is another highlight of the movie (especially when WW shows up to fight Doomsday).

Eminently watchable - set up the upcoming movies quite nicely I thought.

PS: Affleck is up there among the Batman leads.

9. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

I don't get the personal motivations of a lot people in that movie. It felt really under developed to me.

If I would be an Affleck hater, which I'm not, I could easily blame him but it's the problem of the film itself. Sure you see how the attack on Gotham in the first film made a personal impact on Affleck but without even seeing this Batman's development that means nothing to me. It all comes down to me that there are 3 ultimate Batman movies which defined him and this movie doesn't even try. Affleck's Batman chin alone can't carry this shell. Lex Luthor isn't even worth talking about.

IMHO the previous Superman film, which had a few weak moments in the middle, was a far more satisfying experience because the characters worked.

Disappointed.

P.S. But then I've always considered the concept of the film stupid, think Superman is the most boring comic book superhero by design and can't stand Lex Luthor as an antagonist.

10. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I really like this movie. I can see why other people where disappointed especially if they where looking for more in depth characterization. I went looking for a brawl and that is what I got.

I feel like the writers where forcing two movies into one, and Batman was more of a terrorist than a hero.

@ Snapdragon I think this Superman and his Luthor where rather more than their original counterparts. The fact that Superman stuck to his morals in this movie really made his character shine.

11. Mugglewizard

Mugglewizard Seventh Year

I was really dissapointed. Lex was just weird. The characterization did not fit at all. The dreams were also weird. They barely made sense and did not even hint to whether they were hints or just madness on Bruce's part. I agree with Vinais though, the three fighting was amazing both the action sequence and the background score. That must have been the best thing in the movie.

The worst was probably Bats and Superman getting together. They can't just become buddies after 2 years of wanting to take down the other because their mothers share a name. I think Doomsday should have attacked at this point forcing them to work together. That would have made much more sense. I also didn't understand why Lex who had been manipulating everything from the background suddenly come up with a harebrained scheme of kidnapping Martha.

12. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

Saw it yesterday, keep your expectations low and you won't be disappointed, but apart from some good fightscenes the movie doesn't have a lot to offer (it only exists to launch the DC universe, with cameos from everyone who has an upcoming movie). There's some good acting but the movie should probably have been an hour longer and thus it's hard to feel the impact the actors have.

13. Pasta Sentient

Pasta Sentient Disappeared

Bad pacing is why this movie wasn't great.

The darkness and oppression lasted too long. IMO, the Batman/Superman fight should have taken place in the middle of the movie followed by Bruce and Clark forming a friendship. Follow Bruce into a more optimistic/reinvigorated view. Have them team up against a more threatening and imposing Lex Luthor.

Doomsday fight is the end. Have Bruce also truly devastated by Clarks death.

[​IMG]

14. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

I loved this movie. Mostly for Batffleck. He was amazing. The most true to comic books in terms of look, character and motivation. There was some issues with the script and the pacing of character development.

A big problem is that with most Marvel films you can go in and be treated to a comic book blockbuster that requires no previous knowledge of character to enjoy it.

If you are a massive comic book fan, and I am, then you notice so many different things and there are moments of pure joy. For example: Batman's line where he says he'll save Martha is so poignant because he could never save his own mother. And the Robin costume.

In regards to the Flash; he can travel back in time but came back too early. Also the Knightmare is Batman (the most paranoid man alive) thinking what could happen to the world if Superman is evil.

15. sage1000

sage1000 Fourth Year

I think Knightmare is an alternate version of Batman. The dream is to accurate to be just a dream except you are saying batman is now a seer. He sees parademons and firepits which originate from Apokalips. The world he sees is either Earth 2 where Darkseid attacks Earth and mind controls Superman to being his lackey or Injustice where Superman snaps from the death of Lois and takes over the world.

Also Flash time travel is a call back to COIE where he goes back in time to warns he heroes of the upcoming event.

16. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Where's that from?

17. Pasta Sentient

Pasta Sentient Disappeared

The Death of Superman Comic Story

Here's a wiki Link

18. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Huh. That image looked more recent than that issue, that's what threw me off.

19. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Was pretty unhappy with the film, not a fan of Affleck Batman. He's preachy but shoots people?

20. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I agree that Lex was a let down but I am not sure if the actors is really to blame because I personally would think that whoever wrote the script is just as responsible.

In regards to the movie.. I didn't like it that much - far too many plotholes and idiotic behaviour which coupled with the serious/grim tone and setting of this movie made it a very hard for me to really enjoy the action scenes.

And since I am not really into the whole DC universe a lot of the cameos just seemed weird/served little actual purpose.