1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Battle School Mafia

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Eidolonic, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Joke's on you Aekiel you're third now. :awesome

2. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

I feel abysmally vindicated when what I said at the beginning about intentional silliness held entirely true(in regards to Rubicon and Smile at least). Also, pegged Rubicon, Smile, Typhon and Menace as unfriendlies due to their behavior right from early on... didn't really have much of a read on Riley->Prophylaxis or Rents->Karn at the time, though.

3. Striker

That's... still not an excuse for basing literally your entire scum team around a joke. You ended up being right, but the reasoning was so pants on head retarded that I still don't regret killing you.

4. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

I stand by this and by my decisions.

Day 1 (random) and 2 (scumfirm) don't count. On day 3, I set out to lynch Smile when Caesar came out with his 2-non-town in 4 players check. At that point, there was no way anyone would have picked a player not named Schrodinger. No way.

The game went scum-way because townies were as bad as scum, only more visible (less lurkage). Also because this was a very volatile game as far as balance went, and scum (a team of 5 which I feel was created to compensate the volatility in the case it favoured town, while the opposite didn't happen) got lucky with some things in crucial moments. They gave a gun to the third party. They gave another to the town role who couldn't have used it. The third party got empowered by an important town role, which died night 1. There was one more but I forgot.

5. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I feel the game length was too long honestly

6. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No.

/tenchar

7. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Eidolonic, any plans to run this setup again someday? Maybe as an open game since the cat's out of the bag now. And maybe the Motivator will survive a little longer next time >.>

8. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    definitely meant day cycle and just derped my words

9. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Open games and closed games have different balancing things, but this looks like with a couple of edits it could be easily viable.

10. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

My reasoning was pretty straight on, honestly. It wasn't just the joke-claim, and I said as much. Wasn't acknowledged at all, for the same reasons that most people at the end refused to consider a five-man scum team.

A simple lack of willingness to accept the potentially in-your-face obvious as actually being true. It's hardly the first time it's worked in the scumteam's favor, and definitely won't be the last. I'm just going to call this instance 'crazy like a fox'. Aside from Stojil and Schro's criticisms, my main detractors were non-town themselves.

Nonetheless, still love you at least, Smile <3.

11. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Fen, I will be watching the next game for how you do. I want you to win, or at least not die so bloody fast. I would have been willing to let excess pressure be put on myself to leave you be, but you died.

I did have a fear that Rubicon would screw us over with his play after he got screwed by the day cop, but so many town-durp things went our way. I am still amazed how much Caesar helped the scum.

12. Striker

Oh sure, there's an argument to be made for hyper-obviousness. But there's a difference between making a contextual one off joke and trying to be too-obvious-to-scum.

13. SmileOfTheKill

14. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Yup, you were spot on about me - I lurked like crazy and was pretty shady last game, so I was intentionally trying to be as overly active and aggressive and silly as I could D1 to throw people off.

Were you worried about my play leading up to the daycop (which was admittedly kind of bad) or my trolling after?

15. SmileOfTheKill

It was you being confirmed as a scum so heavily that made me worry, not your play before or after as it didn't matter. You had a decent link to myself and I was allowing myself to be a target for night actions, but I feared it brought it over the edge and made me lynch material. Then... well... I was ignored for lynching. After a while I stopped caring about how I acted since everyone was durping around.

---------- Post automerged at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

The day one actions at night by you Rubicon, I thought we covered it really. It was risky but it could have worked. I just wish we had more confirmation before you went crazy.

16. Caesar

Caesar First Year

You know what annoys me most about this (aside from the lurking)? The fact that I had 4/5 of you pegged as non-town on Day 2 and then talked myself out of it:facepalm

17. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

I have a bunch of completed setups that I can run some day.

I might make another one from scratch similar to this one, but fine tuning some of the swingier things.

This game /was/ balanced, even if it may not have felt that way for the town - even vigging town with the guns scum gave you was a good thing, because of how it narrowed down PoE, and strengthened the day phase.

With the information roles and pseudo-townfirms that town could have (Fontisian's Demosothes role, the Loyalist duo, anything the inventor could do, the near gamebreaking power of the Empath), town could pin the scum team into a box very easily.

The gunsmith, bulletproof and redirecting role scum had were the counters to modgaming and mass claiming.

In retrospect, I think making the guns give the person that wields them a 1-night immunity would have been the most elegant solution, and replaced the redirecting role with a mafia jack of all trades, or even a straight up roleblocker, despite my dislike for the role.

Sesc dying N1 made me really sad, as that added a whole secondary element to all of the roles - you can see the complete list there in Sesc's QuickTopic if you're curious what it'd have done.

Making Rubicon and Fontisian unconfirmed masons if either would have been empowered would have been fun.

Plus the obvious benefit of information roles being strengthened, jailer and bodyguard losing their drawback, etc. Just bad luck that he never actually targeted town while alive.

The Backup role (Wetnurse) was amazing, too. A second inventor or empath late in the game would be super strong.

And oh, man, the inventor. There's so much you can do with that role, and while a public daycop is no doubt strong, it's not what I'd have done. But I'm keeping quiet on that because it's an idea for a future role that I don't want to spoil!

Re: Scum having daychat.

I do agree that them having daychat at MYLO/LYLO is absurdly powerful. I do like them having daychat early in the game as it makes the game much more enjoyable and keeps them invested. I have some work arounds in the future I might toy with - one idea is only having it on Day One. Another is a conditional thing where the player has to give up role or vote in order to unlock day chat. Some kind of sacrifice to make it more neutral from a balance perspective. Not going to postulate on it much more, because I'll include something like that in my next more-than-12/13-players game.

Re: Menace's role

I really liked this. Except I wasn't expecting the entire world to target and give kills to him. He had a lot of luck on his side, with the random Shen kill and 1/4 shot at killing the right scum the final night, but in a more even game that came down to the wire, I think he had a reasonable chance to win, while not impacting the game too much.

Re: replacement

Thank you to Caesar, Bob99, Prophylaxis and Sir Karn for replacing in. I really didn't want to modkill slots, but you can probably make an argument that I should have. That goes against my philosophy as a moderator of letting the players decide the game, so I'm glad I didn't have to, even if overall activity was a little lacking. I blame the summer months and the travel and out-door-ness that is inherent within.

To all:

Thank you for playing! I hope you enjoyed the setup and the flavor (lol), and I'm sorry I wasn't able to make the flavor more detailed or enjoyable. One day I'll make a flavor/story heavy game with everything pre-written, because you guys deserve that, rather than my sparse attempts recently.

If anyone has any feedback about their role, feel free to share! If there was something in particular you really liked or enjoyed, or found un-fun, let me know, and I'll take that into account in designing future games.

18. SmileOfTheKill

I see a lack of awards in that last post Eidolonic. I do not mean to be pushy, but I would enjoy a writeup from the Game Master here on some of the best/worst things you saw.

19. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

I'm not sure anyone actually deserves an MVP in this game.

20. SmileOfTheKill

That is exactly what I mean.