1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Benefits of Seven Fragments?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BartucTheBloody, Oct 24, 2006.

1. BartucTheBloody

BartucTheBloody Third Year

What advantages did Voldemort gain by splitting his soul into seven fragments? Did this make them special or more powerful in any way? The only positive thing that I can see is that there are more that would need to be found to destroy Voldemort, but if that is the case why stop at seven?

2. BloodLust

BloodLust Banned

Seven is a magically powerful number (i think THE most magically powerful?), which i believe is what Tom/Dumbledore say in Half Blood Prince...but I'm not sure where...somewhere around the memory of the Horcrux. :)

3. Erised

Erised Backtraced

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  4. BartucTheBloody

I remember Tom saying that in HBP, but how does seven being magically powerful number benefit the Horcruxes? Does it make them stronger or more durable? If it doesnt why stop at seven?

5. BloodLust

BloodLust Banned

Hmm, interesting point.
    I think, the fact that seven is such a magically powerful number probably lends something to the Horcruxes, perhaps making them more difficult to destroy...which is why Dumbledore ends up with a withered hand?

Or perhaps Tom simply liked the fact that he had the same number of Horcruxes as the most powerful magical number, and he doesn't have more because of that association with power. We know that he has a bit of a...flair for the dramatic

6. BartucTheBloody

What about when Harry destroyed the diary? All he did was stab it with the basilisk's fang and he didn't get hurt by its destruction.

I guess that makes sense, but I think being immortal would be a bit more important to him.

7. BloodLust

BloodLust Banned

True, but it's not like a basilisks venom is some weak attack, it'd probably destroy most things.

here Tom assumes that having seven pieces of soul would make them stronger...so perhaps that actually is the reason...it just makes them stronger.

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It may be that having them split into 7 makes not the horcruxes themselves stronger, but infact makes Voldemort himself stronger magically.

9. david9

david9 Banned

Creating the Horcruxes doesn't seem to have any adverse effects on him, other than losing part of his humanity. Riddle doesn't seem to care much about that, since his power seems to be the same. Why not create 421490814098124 Horcruxes and be truly immortal?

10. Skeletaure

High Score:
    I didn't say that it had adverse effects on him...I said it increased his strength...

Anyway, splitting your soul so many times probably makes it weaker after a certain point: remember in HBP, Dumbledore seems to think that Harry's untorn and pure soul is a strength that Voldemort doesn't have, and underestimates, as he was so keen to split his.

Also, you can only make as many horcruxes as people you kill, and Voldemort probably hasnt killed any more than a couple hundred people at the most.

11. BloodLust

BloodLust Banned

and doesn't it have to be a pretty significant kill, or is that just fanon?

12. Skeletaure

High Score:
    It doesn't have to be a significant kill, but that's the way Voldemort does his, 'cos he likes to feel special.

13. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

umm lets see. 7 is a special number. And hide them well enough. Umm if you had one or two if someone found them your screwed. 7 is a little bit more and it would be harder to locate them all without Voldemort finding out. If he found out he could just make more.

14. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

A Basilisk's fang is obviously a very powerful magical object, like Unicorn Horn, and other such things. Whatever protection the Diary may have had, the Basilisk fang just tore through it. Also, since he left the Diary in the care of one of his followers, we think, then it stands to reason that he didnt place many protections around it, since it would be handled and moved by Malfoy. Perhaps he was supposed to hide it somewhere, but we just dont know.

Why not break a piece of chocolate more than seven times so you can share it with more people? Because it gets smaller and pointless. It's not going to quell anyones hunger.

In the Harry Potter universe, numbers are obviously magical. We dont know how they effect things yet but its possible we will get our answer in the last book... or an interview. If not, then its something for us to make up ourselves.

15. Muttering Condolences

Muttering Condolences Card Captored and buttsecksed

Leaning away from the "7 makes it extra special" theory, splitting your soul into seven is really the same as having one Horcrux. If your soul is tied to the earth, then who cares about how many pieces are there? You are still 'immortal' as you can be.

Of course, having several Horcruxes is a nice safety feature, just in case one or two (ring and diary) are destroyed, you are still good.

A more pressing question is what happens to the soul fragments when the vessel is destroyed? Do they return to the owner to reassemble a soul? Or are they lost forever?

16. BloodLust

BloodLust Banned

the soul is destroyed as well i presume.

17. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

they wouldnt be because that is how Im assuming Tom survived 10/31/80.His body was destoryed then.

18. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

It's be funny if the number of horcruxes was some random number, like 17.

Everyone would be screwed.

It's ridiculous that Dumbledore would base all his assumptions on the unfounded belief that Tom made seven horcruxes.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  19. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

The Basilisk fang may of been able to destroy the diary so easily cause it was from a snake and Voldemort is a parcelmouth. It might be a weakness of sorts.

20. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Yeah that would be ironic if Harry found 7 horcuxes and died trying to kill Tom cause there was 17 instead of 7 I would laugh my ass off