1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Benefits of the Elder Wand

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spanks, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Well, now that we know that there is a wand that is stronger than God himself ;) what kind of powers do you think it gives a wizard? Does it give his spells more power, make it easier to use magic, the ability to talk to monkey's?

So yeah, come up with some ideas with what the Elder Wand can do. You can be serious or make stuff up.

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Transmute Substance [A] into gold. ^_^

3. Anubis

Anubis Seventh Year

Realistically I think that it really just makes spells more powerful, maybe requiring slightly less magical power to cast spells?

My view of it is that the Elder Wand simply binds itself a lot closer to its owner than regular wands. The wand chooses the wizard, and the better match a wand is the better it will perform for a wizard. I think that its likely that the Elder Wand simply matches itself much closer to a wizard or their core than any other wand could, and it is that reason that makes it more powerful. Just my opinion though.

4. Aakunen

Aakunen Second Year

It marks you as a target number one to all psychos, who want that wand and to obtain it, they have to kill/disarm (and probably a moment later kill, so you wouldn't want it back) you.

In my opinion, it's just a wand, a piece of wood with some kind of an animal part stuffed inside (someone knows what is inside?) with rather strange compatibility range - after all, everyone, who is a Master of it can use as if it was their own chosen wand, and (how could I forget?!) it excels with repairing charms. *snicker*

This whole stuff with the Ultimate Wand of Doom is just stupid IMO.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  5. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

We don't really know jack squat about the wand other than its reputation. If I had to hazard a guess going by what we actually see the wand do in the book; I would say that something about the method of its creation and the wood/core used makes it far stronger than normal wands.

The increased power seems to allow it to perform tasks considered impossible by normal standards such as repairing a broken wand. Ollivander's statement in regards to Harry's wand indicates than a lesser degree of damage to the wand may be repairable. We also saw Hermione's wand attempt the Repairo spell, but it didn't really do anything. Then the Elder wand pulled it off. As I said, this seems to suggest it allows the caster to put a lot of "kick" into their spells.

This could go a long way to why it is considered unbeatable. Say for example two wizards had previously dueled and one had failed to overcome his enemies' shield charms or his spells were easily blocked by other means. Later, after taking possession of the Elder Wand he was able to easily overpower the other person's defenses thanks to the added kick of the wand. It would certainly add to the mythos that the wand was unbeatable.

6. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Hmm, if the wand gives more kick to a spell, wouldn't that mean that Dumbledore isn't as powerful as everyone thought? The spell he used in the DoM caused the hair on Harrys' neck to stand. I wonder, without the Elder Wand would Dumbledores' power be so huge? No doubt, the man is powerful in his own right, but the wand may give him more power than he really has.

7. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

I'd say that's a fairly safe guess based on what we know. It also adds a bit more to the myth of the man when so few would know he had the wand.

8. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Thats right. Then consider that Voldemort was still comparable in magical strength to Dumbledore and that he bypassed Grindelwald as the most powerful Dark Lord in spite of Grindelwald possessing the Elder Wand.

Voldemort was head and shoulders above anybody without that wand.

What could he have accomplished with him being the master?

9. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

I find it extremely likely that Dumbledore's reputation as a magical powerhouse was enhanced, and possibly even created, by his possession of the Elder Wand. As we get more and more glimpses of Dumbledore's past and his history leading up to the HP series, we find that his major, defining characteristic was his intellectual brilliance. He is portrayed as a very cunning, with an almost insatiable intellectual curiosity in his youth, but there is really very little to lead us to believe that he was extremely powerful in his youth.

My opinion is that his reputation for being extremely powerful came from his defeat of Grindelwald, and was from then on backed up by his secret possession of the Elder Wand. He was probably always above-average in power, but probably not even close to Voldemort's true power without the wand, which apparently allowed him to meet Riddle in combat as an equal in power, or possibly a superior in skill and a slight inferior in power.

10. Dungbomb

Dungbomb First Year

Let's not forget that Grindewald stole the wand and didn't "earn" it, it would still be a good wand but not as powerfull as when Dumbledore "earned" it by defeating Grindy in thier duel.

11. arthurh3535

arthurh3535 Muggle

So does anyone think that the Elder Wand was the very first wand, and is essentially an artifact?

If fits 99% of the criteria in D&D terms.

A) Very powerful, mythical weapon.

B) Reputed to be very cursed, leading anyone that has it (and claims to actually use it publically to die/fall.)

C) Has its origins lost far into the past, even being known by several names.

The Deathly Hallows even fit this, as each item has artifact qualities. Harry's cloak is pristine, even though it is centuries old and the Stone was able to do things that no one else was able to do (though it was truly cursed.)

Seems like the cloak is the weakest, yet has the lightest curse.

12. 007_rock

007_rock DA Member

Dumbledore was powerful enough without that wand as in OotP that examiner says he did things with his wand she had never seen before in her life during OWLs and NEWTs.

But the fact that Voldemort equaled an above average wizard with and unbeatable wand does say something about his power and skill.

Only good thing about this hallow things is that it gives a whole new idea for fanon to explore.

13. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    That could be referring to power but it is most likely referring to skill with the wand, lateral thinking and the intelligence to implement ideas that Dumbledore possesses. So when it says he did things with the wand she had never seen before I believe she refers to him using spells that she had never heard of to accomplish things she had never thought of accomplishing, not necessarily hm using lots of magical power.

14. dragaan

dragaan First Year

elder wand makes it so ur unbeatable in a duel, yes?
    so i think it curses ur opponent like how drinking unicorn blood curses you

15. Solomon

Solomon Heir

That's definitely not the case, Dragaan. From what I've seen, if you're the master of the wand, it will - most likely - increase the potency of your spells. It will definitely not curse your opponent, unless you yourself cast the curse.

16. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

I see it as a huge liability (Not that I don't like the idea of the deathly hallows). Specially for Harry since everyone knows.

BTW, Harry tells Dumbledore “I’m putting the Elder Wand back where it came from.”
    Does he mean Dumbledore’s tomb?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  17. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

First, please use proper capitalization, it doesn't look good when you write like a 1st grader. And don't use ur, it's you're (you are).

I don't think the elder wand is unbeatable in a duel. A wand like that shouldn't increase things like speed, skill, etc. It can be won in a duel, as Dumbledore showed with Grindelwald.

But I think it can be won in only 2 ways, 1) You cheat and kill the guy while he sleeps or something, 2) You are more skilled than the other wizard even with the other wizard using the Elder Wand and win it from him/her.

As for cursed...maybe, but I think it just seems to be cursed because you are a target by a lot people for the wand.

Ron would be the first one to try to kill Harry for the wand. You all saw him looking at it longingly, right ;)

I hope he doesn't put it back in the tomb. If he is putting back where it came from, wouldn't that mean giving back to Death? Maybe he "killed" the wand by snapping it.

18. Lorelei of the Sea

Lorelei of the Sea Unspeakable

Didn't Dumbledore or Harry say that it wasn't Death that created it? I think they said that it was created by three powerful wizards, and that the Death deal was just a myth based on that.

19. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I meant figuratively, I should have mentioned that :) I didn't mean he would actually giving the wand back to an enitity that is Death, but he would in a way follow the fairytale and return the wand back to Death by killing it.

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think the Elder Wand simply makes it so that every spell you use is succesful. Remember the Reparo that Harry uses to fix his wand at the end, which wouldn't have worked usually?