1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Best Author Responses to Reviews

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hush, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

I criticised a fairly decent but really meh Ned x Cersei fic for it's ending, which was stupid and contrived, made just to fit Canon. The author promptly deleted the fic and sent me.a depressed PM saying he knew the fic was shit.

2. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Now that's just sad :/

Why delete the whole thing? It'd be better if he simply reworked the ending and updated it.

3. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Because SNOWFLAKES, SNOWFLAKES EVERYWHERE

4. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Kind of the inverse, but someone left me a review that had literally no value at all. The review was on one of the middle chapters of When a Veela Cries (so yeah, there are several legitimate harsh critiques of that story). This one, however, finished off with something along the lines of "And writing a story with this much pain just means you need a physiologist."

To which I responded something along the lines of:

"To flame a person without constructive criticism is being an ass; to do so without knowing the difference between a physiologist and a psychologist is being a dumbass."

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  5. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I lurked DLP for a year before joining.

During that time did some readings of old posts.

DLP has mellowed in its old age :p

6. Immet

Immet Seventh Year

I remember one time I tried reading a shitty mary sue insert where Tom Riddle turned out to be Harry Potter's father, and Harry instantly believed this in the chamber of secrets on the first hearing. Straight up an evil shade that has tried to kill his friends says that he's actually your father and Harry says 'yeah that sounds about right'.

Skipped later and it seems like the self insert Riddle is doing everything and being awesome. I actually actively reviewed the story as a review from a third person perspective talking to prospective readers with a score out of 10, maybe 2/10 or 3/10. I was talking about how it was a terrible story and pointing out the storytelling and structural problems, etc. Nothing aimed at the author at all.

Forgot about it and came across the story later on, and the review pissed off the writer so much he ranted all over his bio because the mods refused to delete the review because it was an actual review and not a flame. My memory is vague so there may have been an angry reply as well but I didn't care enough about the author to get involved.

I may be taking too much credit for him getting pissed off because he was a shitty writer who must have had other accurate reviews.

Since then I've always been tempted by shitty stories that say 'don't like don't read' to do a full blown review of the first couple of chapters as a review.

7. ElMarquis

ElMarquis First Year

High Score:
    https://youtu.be/CNpPAU8HWk8?t=3m15s

You must watch this clip.

ElMarquis.

8. TheBurningBagel

TheBurningBagel Second Year

High Score:
    Some years ago I read a Moonknight story and I noticed the author was consistently using 'seen' in place of 'saw', I decided to point that out in a review that was otherwise complimentary.

The author flipped his shit and called me a 'Grammar nazi no lifer'. He insisted that people knew what he meant regardless of whether he was being grammatically correct and told me that if I couldn't deal with that I should stop reading.

Haven't posted a review on anything since.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  9. ElMarquis

ElMarquis First Year

High Score:
    The genetic, and possibly contagious IQ sapping disease which seems to have made its home in three quarters of the human population, especially celebrities, politicians and writers of crap fanfiction, should be ignored. Keep reviewing, it does help writers.

ElMarquis.

10. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

Putting don't ask don't read in your summary is the fanfiction equivalent of a moving piece of cloth and bulls.

What I don't understand is people who use the traditional Author's Note space to reply to individual (signed in) reviews, and then do about 10 of them. If there's an overarching theme that many reviewers hit on, sure, I can understand you making a note, but detailed responses to reviews that are basically night and day? There's a PM feature just for that.

Or am I missing something?

11. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Remnant from 15(? ish) years ago. If I'm remembering correctly, there was no system to directly respond to reviews back then, and it was standard practice to just post your responses the next chapter. It's just kinda stuck around a bit.

12. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Maybe they want replies to be public, especially if they address criticism? I much prefer AO3 here (well, and basically everywhere in terms of interface) outside of their ability to self-moderate reviews (which is a terrible idea).

13. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Mate. Please.

Please. Mate.

Stop signing your posts with a signature. Please.

Mate.