1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Best/Memorable moments in the Dresden Files

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Lens of Sanity, May 8, 2012.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And correspondingly, the conversation with Uriel in Ghost Story where he realises that 'letting the world burn' also meant letting Molly burn.

---------- Post automerged at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Nah, I see it more as Murphy just understanding her limits by that point in the series. She's aware that there are Things much more powerful than her and that Harry happens to be one of them. Murphy of Fool Moon wouldn't have admitted she was scared of Harry when he let loose, much less describe him as she did. She's basically just saying that her fight or flight mechanism immediately jumps to flight whenever Harry stops hiding how powerful he is.

2. Lens of Sanity

Lens of Sanity Backtraced

It’s sorta weird, but the reason I like Murphy’s character is strictly because of this. Not for the pairing because that was totally never going to happen. I mean from a meta perspective alone, it’s obvious that’s just not happening.

But I like Murph because she was so fucking unlikable early on… and her character’s development eventually made her a total rockstar

Nevertheless, the reason that passage is one of my favourite moments has sweet fuck all to do with the fact Karrin Murphy is the one saying it. Marcone, Raith, Mac, or friggin’ Mouse could have been saying the same thing.

The reason I liked it was because of the image it portrayed.

Seemingly this post derailed my favourite thread!
    How about Sigrun Gard and Dresden during Side Jobs
    Harry Dresden - “Hey, I’ve a plan to dispatch the Grendelkin…”
    Ms. Gard - “Time’s up let’s do this… LEEROOOOOOY!!! JEEEENKIIIINSS!!!
    Harry Dresden - “Oh my god, she just ran in… stick to the plan…”
    - paraphrasing Heorot: Side Jobs

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  3. Saint's Felony

Saint's Felony Backtraced

My favourite moment in the Dresden Files is during Proven Guiltily.

Molly Carpenter is standing trial (accused of malevolent torture) and her father -Christ’s Champion- shows up at the very last minute, having personally rescued the Senior Council… thereby saving his daughter, as well as the world as we know it…

…I'm not certain, but this scene has more to it that meets the eye, more impact than you'd think, more substance than it should have, maybe that's why I like it…

4. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

The whole scene in Ghost Story where Uriel takes Harry to see Maggie and Mouse. The final showdown between Michael and the priest and also the scene with Harry and Uriel in The Warrior.

Also Turn Coat, pretty much all of Turn Coat.

Nae
  5. Portus

Portus Heir

I actually feel that all of The Warrior is crap. No, I'll admit that I liked the part where Dresden has his shoulder dislocated by a 50-caliber round, but other than that I thought it was shit. Especially the part where Butcher hit me over the head with the "it's the small things that matter and here's why" speech from Uriel and the "if he has to die I'll do it" nonsense. It just screamed "I totally half-assed this to help my friend sell this anthology."

But yes, Turn Coat was all kinds of awesome on every other page.

6. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

For me, I never really liked the Dresden Files until about halfway through the second book. I mean, sure I'd been interested in the series, but more so because I wouldn't let myself read Demon's Feign, Merlin's Pain, Abjurration, or Awaken Sleeper until I'd finished their source material than out of any overwhelming love for the series. Harry was pretty cool, but Susan annoyed the hell out of me. Surprisingly, I was pretty cool with Murphy. Actually, the entire CPD was pretty awesome to me: just a bunch of regular joes who do what they can to fight trolls and monsters despite not having any special powers. In fact, Carmichael was my favorite character in the entire series.

That leads into what will always be, for me, the most memorable moment in the entire series. Carmichael's death. One moment he's there, the next he's just a bloody smear wearing a greasy tie. That was when I really began to love the series and it will always be one of my favorites.

7. Varios

Varios Third Year

At the start of Grave Peril when the Maternity Ward Ghost (Agatha Hagglethorn I believe) crosses over to the Nevernever and Harry refuses to go because of Lea and the whole hellhound thing:

Very paraphrased it was something like "Harry Dresden, there is far too much good in your heart to let those children die".

That line, alongside "He died doing the right thing" is probably why Grave Peril is one of my favourite books for defining Harry's character flat out.

8. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh god, yeah. "He died doing the right thing", that line still gives me chills. Fantastic way to develop someones character I have to say.

9. w1lliam

w1lliam Groundskeeper

The scene where Dresden is getting tortured for his coin and the good guys dont arrive, except for Mouse.

I need my fix, arent there supposed to be some short stories coming out?

10. Nae

Nae The Violent

This.

Also, when we first meet Father Odin. Dude was awesome as fuck.

11. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just realized that no one had said Harry and Susan against the Eebs (no clue how to spell that) in Changes was such an amazing fight scene, as was Harry meeting the Erlking again.

12. Aekiel

High Score:
    Not to mention the fight with the vampire and the Ick in the Erlking's Hall. Lots of awesome in that fight.

13. I Burn Water

I Burn Water Seventh Year

Anything with Demonreach. We still don't know what the fuck it really is, but fucking Mab respects it.

Any time a supernatural being walks in, looks at Mouse and goes, "What The fuck is that?"

14. Varios

Varios Third Year

The Gatekeepers reaction to Demonreach, the usually stoic and collected wizard is pretty fucking shocked, Dresden must seriously subvert destiny/fate/chronos an annoyingly large amount.

15. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I smashed through the series over the past few weeks and I honestly have no shortage of scenes that are just ridiculously epic. Every single book is filled with them.

I just finished Ghost Story today...read it at work. And this had me laughing my arse off and getting weird looks:

Only Dresden...

16. Dryden

Dryden First Year

I'm a bit surprised that I haven't heard this one come up:
    The boat ride to Demonreach in... I think it was Small Favor.

"That's the problem with you immortal types. You wouldn't get a pop culture reference if it skittered up your neck and implanted an embryo down your esophagus."

17. Varios

Varios Third Year

When Harry goes into his Limit Break in Grave Peril at the party, until then I always knew he was pretty powerful, could hold his own etc. But then he just let go and obliterated everything.

18. Aekiel

High Score:
    You know, that was probably his death curse Harry used in that scene. I mean, his heart stopped beating immediately afterwards and it was only due to the (divine) intervention of Michael that kept him going.

19. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

I'd never even thought of that. The death curse isn't just throwing a spell so hard the strain kills you. It's deliberately taking every last shred of life left in you and burning it up in one final blaze of glory. I really didn't get that feel from that scene, not to mention how divine intervention seems to be constrained to only protecting free will and balancing out any meddling from 'down bellow'.

I take that spell as being foreshadowing. We know that as far as raw power goes, Harry is in the top weight class and he wouldn't be out of place on the senior council. What he lacks is control, the reason he doesn't throwdown like McCoy or the Merlin isn't that they've got all that much magical 'weight' on him, it's that they've got the experiance to control all their power, Harry doesn't. So when he brings up as much power as he can, the strain of trying to keep it controlled almost kills him and it winds up running wild.

20. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Harry has plenty of control 85% of the time, the issue is both savvy, and magical finesse.