1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Best portrayal of...

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Erotic Adventures of S, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I have been thinking of doing this for awhile. I was thinking of putting together a reference collection of fics that portray an idea or concept really well. It could even be a shitty fic in general or something not to DLPs standards but the author has one good concept.

This isnt for genres like romance or evil. But for aspects like animagus, etc.

To start with:

Occlumency: In my opinion the best, and frankly one of the very few logical portrayals of occlumency is in The Santis 'The Boy Who Lived'. I'd say well over 90% of fics have some sort of wall or core or some shit. This is counter to everything we knew about occlumency. Its not about making your mind into a vault, its about being to look someone in the eye and have them have no idea if you are lying or hiding something. If they look at you and see a wall they will think you are hiding something. The greatest occlumens in the world is the someone who no one knows they are an occlumens.

Animagus: For me I've never read a perfect description of what I think a good animagus process is. That's not to say I have one, but I've never read one and gone "Yeah that's a great depiction".

So what fics do you think have the best portrayal of animagus, dueling, warding, mind arts, Gringotts, Durmstrang and Beauxbatons or other aspects of the world of HP?

2. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Santi wrote probably one of the best, if not the best, Durmstrangs in HP fanfiction with his BWL fic.

Beauxbatons though? I can't honestly recall it ever being expanded upon much. The only fic that comes to mind, that actually does try to flesh out Beauxbatons and France's wizarding world, is "thé à la grenouille".

3. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

I quite liked the Dueling in ihateseatbelts HP and the Untitled Tome.

4. Erotic Adventures of S

There is a difference in liking something and it being done well.

I liked the warding and curse breaking in jberns Bungle in the Jungle, but canon and story wise it just doesn't work.

5. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Eh, the Durmstrang aspect is actually one of the weakest parts of Santi's story tbh. And the Occlumency, which served a purpose, was still a needless crutch (or a checkbox on a list) which shouldn't ever have more than a few paragraphs dedicated to it. The story is mostly carried by the character interactions (ignoring the scenes where they gush over Harry's prodigal skills).

Animagus: the best I've seen it done is in "on the wings of a phoenix" but it's still pretty much nonsense story filler.

Curse-breaking. I hate to say it, but it's pretty much the only redeeming feature of Bungle in the Jungle.

Warding isn't a real thing so I'm not going to name anything.

6. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

TheEndless7 has a very good portrayal of what I think Quidditch is in all of her/his fic. Seekers are involved into play, the difference between amateur and pro, etc.

7. Erotic Adventures of S

Doesn't have to be relivant to the story to be done well, or shown well. That's kind of the point of this thread.

Warding is canon if not called that. Such as Hogwarts in HBP and the stuff Voldemort did in the cave.

8. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Best wingman portrayal and Cormac characterization is in What Ever Happened to Bromance.

9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Animagus, I can think of three: (in no particular order, I think all three are equally good)

1. Unsung Hero - it wasn't instantaneous, Harry had to work for it and the first complete transformation was an appropriately awesome moment in the fic, if not the best. You have to accept the fact that Harry turns into an OP magical creature.

2. Stranger in Unholy Land - like Unsung Hero, it was the result of months of actual hard work and the author went pretty in depth into it. Also bonus points for making this magical creature form as much a detriment as it was an advantage, though that wasn't revealed until the sequel.

3. Prince of the Dark Kingdom - wherein the animagus thing starts out as a subplot of no particular significance until it becomes relevant in a situation that makes sense. Also doesn't happen over the course of an afternoon like in a bad indy fic.

10. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Quidditch - There are two stories that I like above all others for the game: A Game of Style and Brutality by BarneyXII, and Number Games by Jbern. There are others that aren't bad, but those are the standouts to me.

Animagus - It hasn't held up well over the years, as most htings from the mid-2000s, but Vox Corporis was what I used to consider the best description of the process back then. Nowadays, though, I think I'm happiest when it just isn't included at all.

11. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Edited mistakes in the first post because it looked like you either posted while on a phone or were drunk as fuck.

Good thread idea, though.

12. Erotic Adventures of S

Yeah phone, thanks!

I think the best portrayal of Dumbledore is in Shezza Denarian trilogy. Obviously there are some serious AU elements in the story. But I feel the way Dumbledore speaks and holds himself, along with his plotting is an almost perfect representation of a smart, competent Dumbledore.

13. MoltenCheese

MoltenCheese Seventh Year

The best story that portrays "Old Magic" would definitely be enembee's By the Divining Light and the sequel, Conlaodh's Song.

The best OC-centric and America-based fic would be the Alexandra Quick Series (although neither of that really says much, since both genres are generally crappy).

The best "Time travel back to Harry's parents' time" would probably be Timely Errors, although I haven't read too much of that genre and might be missing something that's better.

14. ScottPress

High Score:
    Two nominations for characters from me this time.

Best Harry-Who's-Been-Through-Stuff: Circular Reasoning. The first chapter takes its sweet time establishing the crapsack world Harry lives in and the consequences of having lived in it are seen and felt throughout the rest of the fic. Here Harry's cynicism really works, because I know what an ugly place in him it's coming from.

Best Voldemort: Prince of the Dark Kingdom, hands down. There are other fics where I like how he's portrayed, but POTDK stand above them all. The author just owns this character in their own unique way.

15. Erotic Adventures of S

At the time I enjoyed Voldemort in To fight the coming darkness. And he still has good elements, but he is not as rounded as some of the better written ones.

16. Triliro

Triliro Second Year

High Score:
    I would probably say that Steelbadger's The Shadow of Angmar has the best portrayal of potion making, I'm pretty sure its not canon at all, but I think it's extremely well done.

17. Erotic Adventures of S

Yeah I'd agree with that. While not quite canon it does in a way fit in with the themes and elements of potion making.

18. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I really like Renegade Cause's portrayal of Snape, but I'm unsure if it's "best" or the unique direction that grab me more.

Prince of the Dark Kingdom's international situation. And Voldemort, of course.

Forging the Sword's take on the defense curriculum, Ancient Runes, Divination, Kettleburn, wandless magic, Occlumency, Percy, Arthur, the Diadem, Wizarding views of Muggles, Dementors, etc.

A Beautiful World's take on the Wizarding World during DH.

An Interview with Justin Finch-Fletchley's take on post-DH.

A Very Secret Diary's take on The Diary.

Those jump immediately to mind.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  19. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I'll add a best Snape portrayal for the post above. I really enjoyed how the author used him in Anarkia.

20. ScottPress

High Score:
    I nominate Cauterize as the best post-DH piece. This should have been the epilogue. This is what we and the series deserved, not the sugary abomination we got.